flOw - Guide and Review

Mothershed_52

flOw

“..Life Could be Simple...”

It’s a simple as that motto, this game which is bought off of the PSN store, is as simplistic a game that can be bought in my recent memory. Its concept is very simple, you use the controls to swim your “creature” throughout the level eating little creatures, as well as attacking bigger ones and evolving as you go deeper and deeper in the ocean.

Controls:

• Sixaxis Control – Your movements move your creature
  • Any Button – Boost (Later on Other Creature’s have abilities)
  • Start Button – Pauses the Game
  • Multiplayer - Up to 4 Players I believe

That’s it, pretty simple.….

Starting: You take control of the Creature and bite which ever egg you want and you switch creatures, as you progress there are more eggs to choose from, then you eat the Red Organism and you’re off.

http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/125/startingscreenrg8.jpg

Starting Screen

Levels: Each level is filled with a simple but beautiful environment. Each creature’s level has a color and it is brightest at the beginning, and gets darker and darker until black as you get deeper and deeper. In each level there are 2 Organism’s that appear throughout every stage. One is blue, the other is red. Blue you go back up, and to progress through the level, you eat the red one. In some instances, if you are attacked too much, you will flee and go back up the previous stage and have to eat the red organism again to go back down. Notice: In each level, there are certain stages with an Organism that takes Snapshots. Your creature will start beeping with a yellow dot going through the body of your creature and the screen will freeze, and a picture will be taken and saved. Make sure your creature isn’t coiled up so you can get a good picture.

Help throughout the Stages:

• ·Red Organism – Go down a stage in the Level
  • ·Blue Organism – Go up a stage in the Level
  • ·Red Creature – Temporary invincibility
  • ·Blue Creature – Calm Injured Creature
  • ·Green Creature – Poisoned Paralyzed Creature
  • ·Omega Symbol – Looks like it kind of – Takes Snapshots
  • ·Red Orb with Blades Spinning around it – End of the Level
  • ·Some Organisms give you the Temporary Invincibility

Creatures – Abilities (Stage Color):

1. 1.The Snake – Boost (Blue)
  2. 2.The Jellyfish – Draws in tiny Organisms (Pink)
  3. 3.The Dolphin – Boost (Red)
  4. 4.The Poisonous Snake – Paralyzes Creatures touching it (Green)
  5. 5.The Winged Snake – Aggressive Attack (Black)
  6. 6.The Puffer – Coiled Spin Attack (Bronze)
  7. 7.The “Credits” Snake – Credits play

There are 6 Creatures, 5 in the regular game and an added 1 for the Expansion.

1.“The Snake” – The Snake doesn’t have any abilities other than the boost. It’s more of a starter creature that shows you what you will be dealing with throughout the game. As it grows, the evolution of the creature becomes clear with the growth of scales and as you get the deeper the creature almost glows.

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/899/flowscreenshotbymotherszs2.jpg

The Snake

2.“The Jellyfish” – This creature has the ability to sit there and begin to spin and it attracts (sucks in) the tiny organisms into the center where they become food for the creature. This one looks like a huge circled slinky when its evolution is complete.

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/1289/flowscreenshotbymotherspa5.jpg

The Jellyfish

3.“The Dolphin” – When I first saw this as an enemy I thought to myself it’s a dolphin and its name has stuck. It goes a tail, and each link is it’s “boost” and as it grows its boost become faster and longer. Though as say it has 10 links in its tail, when you boost you lose 1, so 9 remain until you eat an organism to get 1 chain, so you can have a good amount of boost as the game progresses.

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/7454/flowscreenshotbymotherskd9.jpg

The Dolphin

4.“The Poisonous Snake” – My personal favorite, his ability is pretty much hiding only the “green” areas on his body are exposed and when an enemy touches it, they become green and paralyzed for a brief time period making it easier to eat them. As it grows it looks like an underwater dragonfly.

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/9382/flowscreenshotbymothersly9.jpg

The Poisonous Snake

5.“The Winged Snake” – More like bladed snake, this snake is just pissed off I guess, because its ability is turning red which is like the Hulk turning green, Making him invincible for a couple of seconds and it allows it to eat enemies quicker, almost with no delay.

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/4910/flowscreenshotbymotherswo1.jpg

The Winged Snake

6.“The Puffer” – The expansion pack creature, it reminds me of a puffer fish. Its ability is to coil up and start spinning and then when you release the button it expands and hits surrounding creatures.

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/7238/flowscreenshotbymothersyx4.jpg

The Puffer

7.“The Credits Snake” – There are no enemies on this level, you read the credits and eat the orbs beside the names as you go through the stages, and the creature ends up looking like a 30 ft. Python. Pretty cool take on reading the credits.

As for my take on the game, I find it to be a very interesting game. I know some people will hate it as soon as playing the first stage and some will be intrigued and unable to put it down as I was. This game follows the life of a creature you control using Sony’s Sixaxis feature in the PS3 Controllers. As you progress the creature begins evolving into a bigger and stronger creature. It takes place in the ocean, as I would presume. You start out on the top and working your way down into the depths of the dark sea where sunlight is no longer. You have the option of playing as five creatures, a sixth if you purchase the expansion bundle.

The environment is breathtaking, the creatures and organisms glow, and with a HDTV I’m sure it would even more dramatic. Even creature has its individual background color, much like the PS3’s changing backgrounds every month. From a Strong fiery Red to a gorgeous Cloudy Black, the environment is a nice added feature that only adds to the game.

I think the biggest plus for this game is the controls, of course when I first started I have the biggest trouble trying to catch even the tiniest and most simplistic organisms. It quickly became evident that this is the perfect training tool for anyone wanting to master the Sixaxis, because in the later stages of the game around the fourth or fifth creature you notice that your movements are like the title of the game, a constant flow.

Instead of being forced to move and eat the organisms floating on the screen, you indeed glide in a flowing manner like you were an actual creature of the sea getting their afternoon meal. You start out like the baby and evolve as it does and I think this is what makes the game such a treat.

It won’t be blessed with trophies or isn’t a third person shooter, or even Gears of War 2 (Bax :D) but it still brings something new to the table that some games have trouble with today. It’s a refreshing title, and with the US price tag of $8.99 for the bundle (Full Game and Expansion) it is well worth it. So imagine as the motto of the game does, if life could be simple.

So there you guys go. All those screenshots are from me playing flOw, I had about 26 all together...Here is My FIRST Guide, Review of any kind...So all feedback is appreciated, let me know what I did right or wrong. Had fun doing it. So Enjoy.