Weapons for Professional Mode

I'll be trying to get this last "Heart of Steel" achievement soon, and I felt myself years ago (good GameCube memories come to my mind...) how hard it can turn to be. Since every gun has its own advantages and disadvantages, I'd like to know which ones do you think are most advisable to carry to this crazy mode, and why.

Thanks in advance for your opinions! :)

Red9 - Bolt Action Rifle

Get an RPG before every Main Boss

Get the free Broken Butterfly

Buy the Striker when available, and Killer 7

I agree with you about many of them, but, aren't we sacrificing too much rate of fire? And if we finally go for firepower... Wouldn't be better to stick to the Broken Butterfly? I mean, it's free, and it reaches higher firepower than the Killer 7. :confused:

No possible argument about the Striker, though. :D

Well thats upto you, I love the Killer 7, so accurate, to be honest, I just completed Pro tonight, and I admit, a couple of parts here and there was trickier, but for the most part it was easy. I actually had a full case of ammo, grenades, the above guns, and first aids, I didnt even have that on normal.

I read nightmare stories about Krauser on Pro, I was dreading fighting him, but I beat him first try, so easy, Magnum as he about to hit you, magnum to the head x2, dodge, repeat, 8 shots he was dead, never even hit me. This game was amazing and so much easier than Code Veronica, which was a nightmare to max out.

The part that drove me mad on Pro was in the sewers where those bugs are introduced, and you drain the water, for some reason I just kept dying over and over, so I decided to not shoot the insects, and just run through that section and nailed it first time. Rest of the game was easy. It also gets easier the further you get.

• 7 months later...

I play a conservative game. Used the knife alot and firing only if needed (knifing thru the door works wonders). Upgraded weapon capacity when I was down to 0 bullets or close to. If you don't know, you get free bullets when you upgrade. :)

Ditched my handgun and punisher for the Red9 asap, but never upgraded them.

Held onto the shottie until the striker came along. It's exclusive upgrade rocks! (100 shells capacity? Yes please)

Only rifle I used was the semi-automatic rifle. Upgraded when needed (Capacity wise) but didn't purchase the exclusive.

TMP was an okay staple as well. No exclusive

If I remember correctly I sold off the handgun at Chap 5. By the end of the game I had an extra 80 rifle rounds, 45 shottie rounds, 30+ magnum cloggin up my inventory

• 3 months later...

I just finished my playthrough on professional and just thought I'd share my weapons tips for anyone else working through professional. The biggest tip is to save ammo and money early on. Shoot head or leg and then use kick and knife on almost all gandado enemies. Use this money to save up for weapons later in game. Do NOT upgrade any of the early weapons. Save your money until you can buy the Red9. Replace your handgun with this, and keep upgrading as much as you can. Then when possible, buy the Semi-Auto Rife (You can use BAR, but I prefer the auto) and upgrade it. Continue until you can buy the Striker and work toward its unique upgrade (100 mag). After this, keep grinding through game but it should be pretty easy by now. Get the free Broken Butterfly and use it, but don't upgarde. Trade this in for the Killer 7 once you get to the Island. Also, you'll have more than enough money to buy RPG's when needed. I used RPG's in fights against Salazar, U3, and Sadler. You don't need one for Krauser as you can stun lock him with the knife and kill him fast. (I downed his final form in 23 seconds.) Apart from this, just be smart with grenades and ammo and you should be fine. I finished my playthrough with stacks of ammo and grenades left and about 14 full heal health items. Also, biggest help in Professional is to use Special costume 2 so you don't have to worry about Ashley, and can also use her as bait. Good luck to anyone trying this. I found it challenging but a lot more fun than the normal mode because of it. The game was tough, but never felt like it was unfair. Just reinforces why RE4 is one of the best games ever made.

• 4 weeks later...
I just finished my playthrough on professional and just thought I'd share my weapons tips for anyone else working through professional. The biggest tip is to save ammo and money early on. Shoot head or leg and then use kick and knife on almost all gandado enemies. Use this money to save up for weapons later in game. Do NOT upgrade any of the early weapons. Save your money until you can buy the Red9. Replace your handgun with this, and keep upgrading as much as you can. Then when possible, buy the Semi-Auto Rife (You can use BAR, but I prefer the auto) and upgrade it. Continue until you can buy the Striker and work toward its unique upgrade (100 mag). After this, keep grinding through game but it should be pretty easy by now. Get the free Broken Butterfly and use it, but don't upgarde. Trade this in for the Killer 7 once you get to the Island. Also, you'll have more than enough money to buy RPG's when needed. I used RPG's in fights against Salazar, U3, and Sadler. You don't need one for Krauser as you can stun lock him with the knife and kill him fast. (I downed his final form in 23 seconds.) Apart from this, just be smart with grenades and ammo and you should be fine. I finished my playthrough with stacks of ammo and grenades left and about 14 full heal health items. Also, biggest help in Professional is to use Special costume 2 so you don't have to worry about Ashley, and can also use her as bait. Good luck to anyone trying this. I found it challenging but a lot more fun than the normal mode because of it. The game was tough, but never felt like it was unfair. Just reinforces why RE4 is one of the best games ever made.

Thank you for the answer! Just remembered this topic. I think I'm going to do it soon, and I'll keep in mind this. ;)

I'm going through PRO right now, it's surprising very easy. Enemies don't seem to take any more damage, the only thing I've really noticed is that they do a little more damage, that's about it. Plus I hear there's no Tactical Vest.

Plus it's hilarious using Ashley as bait in her suit of armor.

Just abuse the retries, and you're good. You can enter a lot of areas, kill some enemies, then leave to create a new retry point. It doesn't work in all areas, but it seems to for most.

That explains it. Try it without Armored Ashley :)

Maybe at one point, but not now.

The parts when I don't have Ashely are still pretty easy, though I think it's because I just played the game on Normal, so everything is still really fresh in my mind. Not that I've ever really found protecting Ashely to be hard at all. So many places you can leave her to be safe, or just tell her to hide for it to be an issue.

Just do what you did on Normal, and it shouldn't be too bad.

Edited by Earthbound_X

Maybe at one point, but not now.

The parts when I don't have Ashely are still pretty easy, though I think it's because I just played the game on Normal, so everything is still really fresh in my mind. Not that I've ever really found protecting Ashely to be hard at all. So many places you can leave her to be safe, or just tell her to hide for it to be an issue.

Just do what you did on Normal, and it shouldn't be too bad.

Professional as a whole isn't too difficult considering you can rocket nearly every boss and run past most enemies, but without Armor Ashley there are a few segments that will break you (particularly Water Room).

That's the only reason it took me 3 months to do Professional, but I did it back in the GCN days and I was determined to do it again here! :p

Edited by Veedrock

I just finished my pro run last week and this is what I did:

Try to use the knife as much as possible because ammo is going to be more scarce this time around.

As far as handguns go, I used the one you start with until I could shoot all 15 of the blue medallions to get the Punisher. Then I used the Punisher until I could get the Red9 and upgraded it fully. I used the shotgun, then the Riot Gun, and finally traded that for the Striker and upgraded it completely. Then the rifle... I just stuck with the Bolt-Action for that exclusive upgrade - 30.0 firepower as opposed to 15.0 for the Semi-Auto fully upgraded. Then I got the free Broken Butterfly and upgraded when I could.

Good luck with it if you haven't beaten it already.

Best way to go through RE 4 on Pro is to well first because you have to understand timings and get used to knifing on normal using the Knife is very important especially certain bosses like Krauser. Other than that upgrade capacity when ammo is needed and if you are good until you get to the ganados with worms or bugs out of their heads you should not really have to use any ammo. Red9 Semi Auto whatever shotgun you prefer and rpgs before every boss including the optional boss because you actually earn money killing it. Saving sprays and items for the last boss is important I used 4 sprays fighting it but beat it without too much problem. Other than that the castle is the hardest because sometimes there is endless spawns and such sometimes in it.

• 9 months later...

while fighting Krauser, you should REALLY use the Striker - knife combo! I'm not even kidding, damage on guns are reversed while fighting him, so knife is like a bazooka in terms of damage.

just hit him in the legs while he shields himself with his blade hand to make him stumble, run up to him and slice and dice! dodge when you have to, rinse and repeat few times and voila! you're done and saved whole bunch of ammo for the good guns while you're at it :)