Can't Join Co Op

v SnOwMaN v

Same problem here. Apparently, the game you join must match up exactly with yours in relation to quests completed, areas unlocked, etc.

Which basically means unless there are millions of people playing, it's very unlikely that you'll be easily matched up. I was wondering why all of the games that showed up in a search had only one player in them. Now I know.

There's no split screen, even though the back of the box reads "co-op 2-4" AND "system link 2-4". Add that to the fact that it's nearly impossible to play online and you've got a single player zombie game.

I can't help you informatively, as I don't have it yet. But, it could be that maybe they have their games set to Private. And as has been mentioned, I've also heard that quest-wise, you need to be around the same kind of section. I think that's what it was anyways. Give it a few more days and I'm sure it'll have a bustling online community.

This co-op situation seems to be incredibly broken.

1) Me and a friend finished the prologue independently. I then hit Start, went to Game Lobby, hit Y to invite party (which he was in, obviously), but he didn't get an invite. He then did the exact same thing. I got an invite and was able to join. Neither of us had done any missions yet. We both just walked out of the first house onto the beach. Made no sense.

2) A second friend finished the prologue and joined us after we'd done 5-6 quests. Not sure if he joined session in progress or my other friend invited him, but he got in no problem.

3) After getting to chapter 2, 8% through the story, my original friend that I was playing with dropped out, and then tried to join my game to get the achievement Need A Hand? The option to invite him to my game was greyed out, and again when I went to game lobby and hit Y, he didn't receiver an invite. We're at the exact same place in the story with the exact same quests completed, since we'd literally done every single thing together up until that point. We tried everything but we couldn't get him into my lobby. I checked in the options menu, and yes, it is set to Cooperative play, Xbox live visibility, 3 public slots. I don't get it at all.

4) The second friend, who was now 5-6 quests behind us, is no longer able to join my session, even though he did originally and progressed with us up until the same point in the story. Now he suddenly can't join me, and I can't invite him. He started a lobby and it gave me the option to join. It worked once, and now we're trying to go back, thinking that maybe I can help him progress with quests so he can "catch up" and join my session, but now I can't even figure out how to join his session. He has the exact same settings as me in the options menu.

This drop in drop out thing is driving me crazy. It doesn't seem to work at all. It makes no sense to me that on the dashboard it tells me two friends are playing solo, yet when I go to game lobby and hit RB to go over to the Friends section, it shows no one.

Does anyone understand how this works, and can you make sense of what's been going on? This is incredibly frustrating.

Me and my friend kept trying to join each other's games via game invites but it just wasn't working. Even "join game in progress" was grayed out even though everything was set up correctly. We tried for a solid hour and couldn't get anything. My friend turned his Xbox off to go eat dinner and when he got back online, I tried it one last time and he successfully accepted my "join party and game invite."

So long story short, turn your system off and sign back in. It worked for us and hopefully it'll work for you guys as well.

I found that using the "Game Lobby" system doesn't work at all. It's very hit or miss, and it won't even show you if your friends are online and playing a majority of the time.

My friend and I just ended up making sure we both had the same Quests completed and then going to the Xbox menu and clicking "Join Session in Progress". Once we both had the same Quests completed, it allowed us to join each others games.

The "drop in/drop out" is pretty broken at the moment. Here's hoping they patch it sometime in the future. It seems to be a ton of hassle right now.

You need to be in the same area as the person you are joining. For instance, both be near the Lifeguard Station. As far as quest completion, the person with the least quests completed should host so they don't mess up their progress.

Edited by J4ckyb0y1

i was able to play co-op after backing out to the main screen reloading the game then going to the guide and inviting to game through his profile, but after playing online my save files became corrupt and i lost everything. I'm not sure if it was from playing online but i'd be careful if i were you.

I had the corrupt save file happen to me and a friend last night, but it only said it once, and after that one time it didn't have any problems saving.

It was weird because I had been playing with the same 2 people for an hour, with the autosaving working fine. Then it randomly decided it couldn't save. Then it started saving again.

I had the corrupt save file happen to me and a friend last night, but it only said it once, and after that one time it didn't have any problems saving.

It was weird because I had been playing with the same 2 people for an hour, with the autosaving working fine. Then it randomly decided it couldn't save. Then it started saving again.

from everything I've been reading it seems totally random, which makes me leary of starting a new game until its fixed.

Ok so everything I've experienced has already been said here so I will just add on a little to the subject.

After the prologue I was playing and it said in the left corner -gamertag- is near this location (picture of D-Pad and highlighted direction) to join. That happened twice and I never saw it again. Now read all the above post and all that has also happened to me.

So as far I'm concered the Game Lobby is broken. Maybe if another game is at the same starting point you can join but other than that it's broken.

It won't let me join anyone's game, even when it comes up in the corner 'insert gamertag here is near you'. I tried and it just says it failed. I tried joining a friends when it said his game was joinable, nothing. Said the join failed. However, it let him join me. I was in a totally different area than he was, so the whole 'everyone has to be on the same level thing' isn't true. It's just frustrating.

I tried turning my system off, then back on, and it didn't work. Grrr.

Just wanted to add my name to the list of people that are having a huge amount of difficulty working out the multiplayer on this game. Sometimes I can join my friends, but most of the time I can't. Having a really frustrating time with this because I bought this game specifically for the co-op.

I don't buy very many games day one, but I made an exception for this one, and now I'll think twice before doing it again, especially from this same developer.

• 2 years later...

I have spent an hour trying to get 4 player system link to work. Everyone can join everyone elses game, but the 4th person is always unable to join. In other words I can get any 3 players into a game no problem, but no matter who is "hosting" whoever the 4th person is, they cannot join. I couldn't solve this, but just putting it out there so if this is happening to you, you are not alone.

Edited by HolyHa1fDead

• 2 weeks later...
I have spent an hour trying to get 4 player system link to work. Everyone can join everyone elses game, but the 4th person is always unable to join. In other words I can get any 3 players into a game no problem, but no matter who is "hosting" whoever the 4th person is, they cannot join. I couldn't solve this, but just putting it out there so if this is happening to you, you are not alone.

I have the same thing happening...

Players A, B, C can connect to each other

Players A, B, D can connect to each other

Players C, D cannot connect to games if the other is already in it and cannot connect to each other.