'Grim Reaper' Trick (Dupe Glitch)

RadiantViper

Disclaimer: Before you post, please realize that I am aware that this is a glitch, trick, and basically not a 'legit' way of getting this achievement. I don't really care, so please don't tell me. If you can do this normally, that's great for you - you are much better at this game than I will ever be, and you should be proud of that. But this is first and foremost an achievement site.

(I figured I would re-post this is a new thread so more people will see it)

This post details the dupe glitch, helpful for people like me who aren't that great at the game but want this achievement. Here's a step-by-step explanation of how I made an overpowered character that made the Harvester on Hard ridiculously easy.

Keep in mind that overall this solution is fairly time consuming - first you have to dupe the tomes, then use the tomes, then the battle itself takes a while. Start to finish it probably took me about 2 hours.

1 - I went back to a character in vanilla Origins and grabbed two 'Tome of the Mortal Vessel'. If you've already used two, you'll need to start a new character to do this. Here are the locations:

Dalish Camp - Varathorn

(I've been told you need to do at least 2 main storyline missions for this one to be available. And of course, don't side with the werewolves during the quest in the Brecillian forest if you do that quest)

Orzammar Commons - Legnar

2 - I then went to Warden's Keep (you don't need it, but the party chest helps. If you don't have it, go to any merchant, and you'll have to use all your tomes whenever you get 99 of them). You should make a save here.

3 - Put any other tomes you have in the party chest (I've read that having different types of tomes at once might screw this process up). Then put the two Mortal Vessel tomes in your Junk section of the inventory. Sell one to the vendor.

4 - You should have a screen now with the one you sold on the left, and the one still in your inventory on the right. Highlight the single Tome in your inventory, and quickly hit Y, then A - basically hit Y, then A almost immediately after. If you mess it up, don't worry - just buy back a single tome and try again.

5 - If you did it right, you'll notice that the vendor now has 3 tomes instead of two. Keep repeating this process. When you have more tomes, you can duplicate more as well - just drop more than one Tome into your inventory, and use the Y, A step - if you did it right, you'll get the prompt to select how many to sell, but in the background you'll notice they're not longer in your inventory. Hit A and they'll duplicate.

6 - IMPORTANT: Once the vendor has 99 (or close to), make sure to BUY THEM BACK. Don't quit out of the vendor screen, or else when you go back they'll cost the default price as opposed to the buyback price.

7 - Put your excess tomes in the party chest. I then pulled 20 out, and started duplicating again. I would duplicate 10 to get 30 total, 10 again to get 40 total, 20 to get 60 total, and finally 30 to get 90 total, then buy them back and repeat.

8 - One last time consuming step - you need to use all the tomes. Assign them to one of your quick slots (X,Y,B) and use them from there, just keep spamming the button. **Thanks CloudStr1f3** Keep selecting the Tomes over and over, they stack so whenever you're done, just open up your level select screen and you'll be able to add all the points you've gained at once. Make sure you DON'T max out all your stats (though that would take forever), or else if you enter the level-up screen you'll get stuck.

9 - Once you've got all the attribute points you need, then just import your character to the DLC and start playing. You can also bring extra tomes into the DLC to use on your new party members if you wish, I didn't have too though.

-----------------------------------

You can use the dupe glitch on any item that stacks, so you can get lots of health potions or other things if you want as well. You can also use other tomes, but attribute points are the most important.

If you're wondering specifics, I used a level 20 Mage with ~100 in every skill except strength and cunning. None of the melee attacks in the final battle did any damage to me. My party members all died but it didn't matter. Just used a fire staff and fire spells since they seemed to work the best. I had to use about 4 or 5 potions (the first form's ranged attacked does a little bit of damage). And remember you can play on casual before you get the to the final battle, just change it to Hard before the battle and you'll still get the achievement. The final battle takes place after you use a red switch to enter the forge.

Edited by RadiantViper

I've gone back through 17 different saves now and not on one of them can I buy a tome from Varathron even though I have tried saves before killing the werewolves and after siding with the elves.

I think you can get a tome from The Haven but in my saves that place is deserted. Can you say which quests you did to get the tomes to appear as I really don't feel like playing through more than I have to. I'm just sick of trying this legit to get my ass handed to me cause I didn't pick a broken 1337 class (last run I got him real close then the switch stopped being targetable). Thanks.

I've gone back through 17 different saves now and not on one of them can I buy a tome from Varathron even though I have tried saves before killing the werewolves and after siding with the elves.

I think you can get a tome from The Haven but in my saves that place is deserted. Can you say which quests you did to get the tomes to appear as I really don't feel like playing through more than I have to. I'm just sick of trying this legit to get my ass handed to me cause I didn't pick a broken 1337 class (last run I got him real close then the switch stopped being targetable). Thanks.

Hmm, I'll look up if there's one in Haven. Might be an easier option.

Other people have told me you need to have at least 2 main quests done, as in the treaty quests. I didn't do any quests to make the tombs appear, I just loaded up a save that was about half-way through the game and went to the forest, and he had one in stock.

@DOOKH8R: They need to be two of the same tome, because they have to stack in the inventory screen. If you're already used 2 on all your characters, starting a new one is your only option.

There is another book that gives +1 attribute point and +1 talent, but it's pointless to use it because you'll quickly have all the talents and won't be able to level up.

you must complete 2 of the treaty quests. i personally did the urn of sacred ashes and the mages tower. i read on gamefaqs that if you do the werewolf quest, then the only way to get varathorn to sell you the tome is to side with the elves by reasoning with both sides.

Disclaimer: Before you post, please realize that I am aware that this is a glitch, trick, and basically not a 'legit' way of getting this achievement. I don't really care, so please don't tell me. If you can do this normally, that's great for you - you are much better at this game than I will ever be, and you should be proud of that. But this is first and foremost an achievement site.

(I figured I would re-post this is a new thread so more people will see it)

This post details the dupe glitch, helpful for people like me who aren't that great at the game but want this achievement. Here's a step-by-step explanation of how I made an overpowered character that made the Harvester on Hard ridiculously easy.

Keep in mind that overall this solution is fairly time consuming - first you have to dupe the tomes, then use the tomes, then the battle itself takes a while. Start to finish it probably took me about 2 hours.

1 - I went back to a character in vanilla Origins and grabbed two 'Tome of the Mortal Vessel'. If you've already used two, you'll need to start a new character to do this. Here are the locations:

Dalish Camp - Varathorn

(I've been told you need to do at least 2 main storyline missions for this one to be available. And of course, don't side with the werewolves during the quest in the Brecillian forest if you do that quest)

Orzammar Commons - Legnar

2 - I then went to Warden's Keep (you don't need it, but the party chest helps. If you don't have it, go to any merchant, and you'll have to use all your tomes whenever you get 99 of them). You should make a save here.

3 - Put any other tomes you have in the party chest (I've read that having different types of tomes at once might screw this process up). Then put the two Mortal Vessel tomes in your Junk section of the inventory. Sell one to the vendor.

4 - You should have a screen now with the one you sold on the left, and the one still in your inventory on the right. Highlight the single Tome in your inventory, and quickly hit Y, then A - basically hit Y, then A almost immediately after. If you mess it up, don't worry - just buy back a single tome and try again.

5 - If you did it right, you'll notice that the vendor now has 3 tomes instead of two. Keep repeating this process. When you have more tomes, you can duplicate more as well - just drop more than one Tome into your inventory, and use the Y, A step - if you did it right, you'll get the prompt to select how many to sell, but in the background you'll notice they're not longer in your inventory. Hit A and they'll duplicate.

6 - IMPORTANT: Once the vendor has 99 (or close to), make sure to BUY THEM BACK. Don't quit out of the vendor screen, or else when you go back they'll cost the default price as opposed to the buyback price.

7 - Put your excess tomes in the party chest. I then pulled 20 out, and started duplicating again. I would duplicate 10 to get 30 total, 10 again to get 40 total, 20 to get 60 total, and finally 30 to get 90 total, then buy them back and repeat.

8 - One last time consuming step - you need to use all the tomes. What I did was put every other item in the 'usable' character in the party chest, and then used the radial menu and went to 'Potions'. Keep selecting the Tomes over and over, they stack so whenever you're done, just open up your level select screen and you'll be able to add all the points you've gained at once. Make sure you DON'T max out all your stats (though that would take forever), or else if you enter the level-up screen you'll get stuck.

9 - Once you've got all the attribute points you need, then just import your character to the DLC and start playing. You can also bring extra tomes into the DLC to use on your new party members if you wish, I didn't have too though.

-----------------------------------

You can use the dupe glitch on any item that stacks, so you can get lots of health potions or other things if you want as well. You can also use other tomes, but attribute points are the most important.

If you're wondering specifics, I used a level 20 Mage with ~100 in every skill except strength and cunning. None of the melee attacks in the final battle did any damage to me. My party members all died but it didn't matter. Just used a fire staff and fire spells since they seemed to work the best. I had to use about 4 or 5 potions (the first form's ranged attacked does a little bit of damage). And remember you can play on casual before you get the to the final battle, just change it to Hard before the battle and you'll still get the achievement. The final battle takes place after you use a red switch to enter the forge.

i saw that you were concerned with the authenticity of your strategy. and you shouldnt be cause i read it and it looks like a pain in the ass to get all the items. so try this out. this glitched worked for me after 3 long hours of struggling to beat the fat ass with my level 34.

1. make sure one of your characters has a long ranged weapon equipped (i.e. long bow, short bow, cross bow)

2. weaken his first form until he's almost dead

3. let all of your characters die except the one with the bow... (it happened to me on accident)

4. go over to the switch and wait until he lets out the red mist

5. hit the switch, strike the final blow and watch the cut scene

6. post cut scene- DO NOT MOVE. continuously fire until he dies.

he should not attack you or spawn any nasty skeletons. if he does attack he will only attack occasionally. if you keep your fire up then you won't have to worry about it cause he'll be jumping back most of the time. that's why you have the bow :)

p.s. more than anything i am curious as to whether or not this works for other people

Edited by CMpunk17
p.s.

i saw that you were concerned with the authenticity of your strategy. and you shouldnt be cause i read it and it looks like a pain in the ass to get all the items. so try this out. this glitched worked for me after 3 long hours of struggling to beat the fat ass with my level 34.

1. make sure one of your characters has a long ranged weapon equipped (i.e. long bow, short bow, cross bow)

2. weaken his first form until he's almost dead

3. let all of your characters die except the one with the bow... (it happened to me on accident)

4. go over to the switch and wait until he lets out the red mist

5. hit the switch, strike the final blow and watch the cut scene

6. post cut scene- DO NOT MOVE. continuously fire until he dies.

he should not attack you or spawn any nasty skeletons. if he does attack he will only attack occasionally. if you keep your fire up then you won't have to worry about it cause he'll be jumping back most of the time. that's why you have the bow :)

p.s. more than anything i am curious as to whether or not this works for other people

I love you and want your babies. This worked first shot. Didn't make sense at first and I was like wtf? But what the hell, give it a shot, because I didn't feel like wasting time duping tomes or trying over and over doing it legit(there were so many times I could kill his first form and get him down in 2nd, then get swarmed by skeletons) so thanks much for this post.

I love you and want your babies. This worked first shot. Didn't make sense at first and I was like wtf? But what the hell, give it a shot, because I didn't feel like wasting time duping tomes or trying over and over doing it legit(there were so many times I could kill his first form and get him down in 2nd, then get swarmed by skeletons) so thanks much for this post.

haha i'm glad i amused you :) did it work?

p.s. lol just saw you said it did work. my bad.

Edited by CMpunk17

I never could find a save where I had the tomes, and after 4 playthroughs, no way was I doing another. So here is what I did:

Bought the Tome of Focus from Drake's boyfriend in Awakenings which you use to reset your skill points. Then I put all my points into Constitution and went all the way up the Ranger tree so I could summon a bear.

Even on Nightmare, with 6 people (me, a bear, two dwarfs, a bronto and a golem) and my constitution (with the runes in my armor) at 170, The Harvester was a piece of cake.

A really quick way to use all your tomes once you have them, just assign them to one of your quick button slots (X, Y, B) and then just mash the button over and over until you've used all the tomes you want. I have like 500 tomes now! Thanks for this little guide.

Excellent idea. Just edited that step with your info, thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow. All I can say is, Radiant Viper -- Thank you. This worked like a charm, although I had plenty of "missed" dupes. What was also worrying me was having enough money to buy back all these tomes. No problems, there!

I'm using this on a playthrough of the regular game, so I'll have to see how much this helps later while facing the Harvester.

For those curious, I was able to get the second tome from Varathorn after resolving the elven mess part of the storyline. The first tome I was able to walk into Orzammar and not complete any quests and buy the Tome.

Thanks again for clarifying all this Radiant Viper!!

I've sided with the elves and killed Witherfang.

Got to the point where I need to find the Urn of Sacred Ashes.

But the tome in the Elven Camp won't appear, is there anything else I need to do that I've missed?

Have you completed more than just that one mission? Above "xI Foxtrot Ix" mentions getting the Urn of Sacred Ashes before you can get the Tome from the Elves.

• 2 weeks later...

http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Tomes

the 1st skill & sundry tome is what you need as its at dalish camp... if you read you need to do 3 main quests before its available. i personally did it before siding with any in the nature of beast mission , i just spoke to him in the camp an he had it then placed it in my storage chest in wardens keep to make sure i dont sell or use it lol now just going after the other...

Edited by ll Mr Bubbles ll

I didn't even know about this glitch! I got on my mage character which I used to get the traveler achievement a year ago and sure enough I found both the tomes! Duping was very easy and my character now has 200 in all stats except strength and cunning. I know it's overkill but I wanted to be prepared to fight this dude. I've been worried that I wouldn't be able to get it but looks like I won't have a problem now! Thank you very much!