Best Games of 2011.... So Far

deputy326

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crysis 2 8.5- great graphics ok story mind blowing gameplay (single player) multiplayer is slightly tolling on your internet connection but once you get a good lobby it can be a really fun fast paced shooter.

Portal 2 8.0- not a big fan of puzzlers but boy was co op fun!

Homefront 8.0- I was disappointed that singleplayer did not turn out like they were saying it was you know some "epic" story etc. etc. but I must say multiplayer is the shizzzzzzzzzzz

from the list of games that i enjoyed this year so far...(not really a rank)

i love stealth games

Crysis 2

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

only thing keeping DE behind is that C2 had a cloak system that was built in, you have to purchase it in DE but still the highest upgrade is only like 5 seconds the one in C2 lasted almost a minute as you upgraded it.

L.A. Noire (obviously) but i wish there was more to do around the city other than just the storyline and TBH the DLC wasnt structured properly, it felt out of place to jump back and forth between parts of the story.

Dead Space 2

wasnt quite as good or scary as the first and coincidentally got more scary and fun once you reach the ship from teh first game near the end.

Portal 2 fun, witty, but its just a puzzle game so cant rank it very high as most games

Operation Flashpoint: Red River (possibly my favorite shooter series now)

so much better now that they got rid of the 1 large map concept and i love the ability to give map based team orders, something pretty much no other shooter has other than Ghost Recon.

Red Faction: Armageddon

similar to OF:RR its much better than without the large map concept from the preview game, alotta fun to just destroy stuff

Shadows of the Damned

unique story fun to play, hope theres a sequel

Fight Night Champion (career+story mode)

Captain America: Super Soldier (decent Batman:AA knockoff)

games that were a disappointment

(in order of release)

Test Drive Unlimited 2

Bulletstorm (mindless arcade shooter, compared to Epic's other series, UnReal Tournament or Gears)

Killzone 3 (only issue with K2 was the aiming sensitivity which none of their "precision modes" or sliders could fix, they not only managed to not address that, but also use subpar graphics and overall gameplay

Homefront (meh)

SOCOM 4 (completely abandoned what it use to be, OF:RR is now what SOCOM once was during the PS2 era)

Dirt 3 (CTF in MP was fun but only 1 good map)

InFamous 2 (forgettable sandbox game similar to Saints Row)

Alice: The Madness Returns (seemed unique but turned out very boring)

Duke Nukem Forever (just horrible)

Call of Juarez: The Cartel (awesome series ruined by not actually being a western anymore...guess they were scared of RDR setting the new bar for westerns and decided to change themes...lame)

Edited by eiVaL

My vote for best game/GOTY contenders go to Portal 2 and Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Although I'm sure that the releases lined up for this fall will give the current releases a run for their money for sure. MW3, Battlefield 3 and even Gears of War 3 will push what's already out there.

my best games are....

Red Faction Armageddon 9.5/10 the only thing keeping it from a 10 is the lack of competitive multiplayer. I loved how easy the achievements were and MR TOOTS!!!!

Deus Ex: Human Revolution 9/10 it got frustrating to me when i was forced to be stealthy to complete secondary goals during side missions im more of a run and gun kinda player

Shadows of the Damned 8.5/10 i loved this game. loved the cool gun names and the dark humor of the game. i disliked the 2d levels where u move sideways and at points the graphics were alittle weak.

Dead Space 2 8/10 this game made me jump more than any game i have ever played. keep in mind i havent played many horror games. they improved every aspect of the game from the first. i hated that you were only allowed 3 saves thru ur entire hardcore playthrough i finally gave up lol

Honorable mentions are

Dragon Age 2

Crysis 2

Bulletstorm

Fear 3

Srry i listed so many i have just really enjoyed this year of gaming and it should only get better with the releases of Gears 3, MW3, Rage, Battlefield 3, Skyrim, Dead Island, AC: Revelations, Batman: Arkham City, and Saints Row the Third

Im gunna have to get a loan haha

Why does the genre it seems to edge towards constitute how much credibility it has towards a title such as "Game of the Year"?

cause its not as engaging as an LA Noire or Deus Ex or the Assassin Creed creed series which has another game coming out later this year.

at its core its just a puzzle/strategy game with some witty humor. when i think back about playing it the only thing i remember is objects flying threw portal holes, when i think back on LA Noire i think about the characters and the story, same with DE and AC series

Super Mario Galaxy 2 was the highest metacritic game of 2010 but nobody was even thinking about it with the likes of Mass Effect 2 or Red Dead for GOTY, cause its a platformer and ME2 and RDR are open world RPG style games

Edited by eiVaL

at its core its just a puzzle/strategy game with some witty humor.

Huh. I completely disagree. I thought it had great dialogue, a fun backstory, and fascinating characters - in addition to some novel gameplay.

I'm liking what I've played of Bastion so far, and Torchlight is entertaining. A number of this year's big retail titles to date have been underwhelming, but something about XBLA (the development budgets, I guess) encourages a reasonable level of experimentation.

I'll probably take some heat for saying this, but the game I've enjoyed most this year was Dragon Age 2. It definitely has problems, especially the repetitive environments and enemies who magically tumble from the sky in waves. But playing it was the gaming highlight of the year for me, and the Dragon Age world lingers in my mind the way only a few titles manage. I guess sometimes the 'objective' game of the year and your own highlights are going to be distinct.

Edit: Also, Portal 2 on co-op is flat-out awesome.

Edited by theslynx
Alzheimer's

Portal 2 without a doubt. The addition of co-op just made an already great idea brilliant! Had a lot of fun hurling things through portals and enjoyed the setting and the characters (especially Cave Johnson; genius dialogue).

Operation Flashpoint: Red River for making a difficult series that bit more accessible to those of us more acclimatised to being able to soak a few bullets before kicking the bucket. Don't get me wrong! I love a challenge! I can do Veteran on CoD with enough tries, but Dragon Rising was a tad too punishing for me!

• 2 weeks later...
Crysis 2 8.5- great graphics ok story mind blowing gameplay (single player) multiplayer is slightly tolling on your internet connection but once you get a good lobby it can be a really fun fast paced shooter.

Portal 2 8.0- not a big fan of puzzlers but boy was co op fun!

Homefront 8.0- I was disappointed that singleplayer did not turn out like they were saying it was you know some "epic" story etc. etc. but I must say multiplayer is the shizzzzzzzzzzz

You know, I said the same thing about Homefront. I really liked it. I love the MP, a little better than CoD.