Tips for Hotshot: Reservoir Chickens

xCGIx PUNISHER

So after many hours of trying to obtain a silver for this challenge so I could complete a pursuit, I finally was able to crack into the silver and finish this horrible thing. Once I figured out some good strategies, it was still a nightmare, but not quite as nightmarish as it once was. Here's some tips.

Be Patient

When I first started the challenge I would try to shoot every chicken that popped up and assumed that if I missed one, I was in trouble. This isn't the case. There is no time limit, so take the time to line up your shots and make every bullet count. You have very, very, little room for error.

Let the Ranchers Lead You

For whatever reason, somebody came up with the genius idea of having the chickens start spawning literally a foot in front of the ranchers so they disappear within half a second. So you'll want to pick a rancher and strafe your crosshairs in front him, ready for any chickens that might spawn.

Use Your "Safety Net" Chicken

You may notice that there is a chicken that starts on the ground when the challenge first starts. DON'T SHOOT IT. When I first did this I would kill the chicken that spawns on the ground the second it showed up. Don't do that. You need to keep you score multiplier going for pretty much the entire round if you want any chance at a silver, so keep that chicken alive and only use it if you think your score multiplier is about to run out. This is probably the most important thing I learned when doing this challenge.

Get Used to the Path of the Flock

About twice each attempt (depending on how much time you take), a huge flock of chickens will spawn on the ground. I figured out that these chickens actually have a set travel pattern. They always spawn in the same area and they always make the same L-shaped movement before disappearing. You may need to play a few games to know what I mean. This is important because you can position yourself to where the chickens are always coming towards you. That makes them much, much, easier to hit. Also, make it a point to hit the green chicken that spawn during the second flock. It's bonus points and every point counts in this challenge.

You Should Restart If...

You miss more than, say, five times. Yes, you'll need pretty much every bullet in your gun to get a silver. And I would venture to say that you actually do need every last bullet in your gun to get gold.

Your score multiplier runs out. You'll need that score multiplier right up until the very end.

You kill a rancher. Not only does killing one give you negative points, it ends your score multiplier. Which usually means game over.

Alright, I hope this helps some of you. I wish I had known this before I spent all morning trying to beat this stupid thing. Good luck to anyway who attempts this!

I can't believe I spent all morning telling you to be patient, and then while I was out having a life, you figured out the rest and took the time to type this out. Damn you Pun. Damn you.

Way to look out for your fellow gamers though.

Im calling it quits on this pursuit. Those damn chickens are so small and the hit detection is ridiculous. Luckily an achievement isn't tied to EVERY pursuit. You only need 20 so you can pick and choose. Im also not getting any pursuits for the Gold Time Trials because for some reason I am the worst ATV driver in the history of Defiance.

You could always use the glitch to get this more easily. I told toxincram about it and he got the silver medal first time after. The glitch was posted on here by somebody else, although I can't remember who.

Basically, start the Hotshot trial and when it is counting down 3,2,1 press back on your controller. Then left trigger and choose character to go into your loadouts. Select whichever loadout you want (shotguns are good but have an assault rifle or something as well). Exit the loadout and then when you spawn in the trial you will have your normal weapons rather than the pistol. It makes it a lot easier, although still tedious. Once you've got the score you need, use all of your ammo on your main weapon and the trial will end.

Edited by Giltec

You could always use the glitch to get this more easily. I told toxincram about it and he got the silver medal first time after. The glitch was posted on here by somebody else, although I can't remember who.

Basically, start the Hotshot trial and when it is counting down 3,2,1 press back on your controller. Then left trigger and choose character to go into your loadouts. Select whichever loadout you want (shotguns are good but have an assault rifle or something as well). Exit the loadout and then when you spawn in the trial you will have your normal weapons rather than the pistol. It makes it a lot easier, although still tedious.

I second this, i used and AR and a rocket launcher for it, easiest gold there is

So after many hours of trying to obtain a silver for this challenge so I could complete a pursuit, I finally was able to crack into the silver and finish this horrible thing. Once I figured out some good strategies, it was still a nightmare, but not quite as nightmarish as it once was. Here's some tips.

Be Patient

When I first started the challenge I would try to shoot every chicken that popped up and assumed that if I missed one, I was in trouble. This isn't the case. There is no time limit, so take the time to line up your shots and make every bullet count. You have very, very, little room for error.

Let the Ranchers Lead You

For whatever reason, somebody came up with the genius idea of having the chickens start spawning literally a foot in front of the ranchers so they disappear within half a second. So you'll want to pick a rancher and strafe your crosshairs in front him, ready for any chickens that might spawn.

Use Your "Safety Net" Chicken

You may notice that there is a chicken that starts on the ground when the challenge first starts. DON'T SHOOT IT. When I first did this I would kill the chicken that spawns on the ground the second it showed up. Don't do that. You need to keep you score multiplier going for pretty much the entire round if you want any chance at a silver, so keep that chicken alive and only use it if you think your score multiplier is about to run out. This is probably the most important thing I learned when doing this challenge.

Get Used to the Path of the Flock

About twice each attempt (depending on how much time you take), a huge flock of chickens will spawn on the ground. I figured out that these chickens actually have a set travel pattern. They always spawn in the same area and they always make the same L-shaped movement before disappearing. You may need to play a few games to know what I mean. This is important because you can position yourself to where the chickens are always coming towards you. That makes them much, much, easier to hit. Also, make it a point to hit the green chicken that spawn during the second flock. It's bonus points and every point counts in this challenge.

You Should Restart If...

You miss more than, say, five times. Yes, you'll need pretty much every bullet in your gun to get a silver. And I would venture to say that you actually do need every last bullet in your gun to get gold.

Your score multiplier runs out. You'll need that score multiplier right up until the very end.

You kill a rancher. Not only does killing one give you negative points, it ends your score multiplier. Which usually means game over.

Alright, I hope this helps some of you. I wish I had known this before I spent all morning trying to beat this stupid thing. Good luck to anyway who attempts this!

But you posted in this thread* so why would you have done that?!

* http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=434573

Basically, start the Hotshot trial and when it is counting down 3,2,1 press back on your controller. Then left trigger and choose character to go into your loadouts. Select whichever loadout you want (shotguns are good but have an assault rifle or something as well). Exit the loadout and then when you spawn in the trial you will have your normal weapons rather than the pistol. It makes it a lot easier, although still tedious. Once you've got the score you need, use all of your ammo on your main weapon and the trial will end.

Use your grenades on the large group of chickens and you can stand on your grenade to end the run

But you posted in this thread* so why would you have done that?!

* http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=434573

I don't even understand what you just said. But I THINK you're asking me why I would do it legit when I could've just used the glitch. Well, A. I didn't know about the glitch at the time and B. this is still helpful for players who join later in case the glitch gets patched. Or for people that like to do things legit.

So far from what i seen, if you want a gold, keep doing the challenge over and over. Somehow, the game glitched on me after i ran out of ammo with the pistol. I could now use my Combat Shotty while the challenge still went on. It really confused me at first, but i figured that running out of the circle would reset it and i wouldn't keep my silver. So i literally got gold, and sat there in the challenge for 15 minutes till one of my friends hopped on. He told me that this is just a flaw in the system and that is how you see the INSANELY high scores on the Leaderboards for these challenges.

He then told me to use my grenade to kill myself to keep my gold and end the challenge.

I Hope they fix the little bug for this. The one challenge, someone has over 1 million score in it.