Does anyone even understand the story/ending? (Spoilers)

Nick Is I

Can anyone explain what even happened in this game to me?

I realize that it was about Hawke's rise from being a immigrant from Fereldan to Champion/Viscount of Kirkwall and the struggle between Templars and Mages, but other than those two things, what does it contribute to the bigger picture? Who was the "Seeker?" Why did she seek out Varric to hear the story of Hawke? Why was The Warden brought into the picture?

The ending to this game has left me more frustrated than any other video game ending ever.

Well, in my opinion, I think they left it open ended for DLC and probably an expansion that they have planned.

As for the rest of it:

The seeker is from the Chantry which, after the events of the last chapter, is a mess all over Thedas. If you remember, she says something about there being a huge mess that they have to clean up. She seeks out Varric because he's likely to be the only one who is sitting in a tavern telling the story. So, the Seekers did their research and figured he'd be the best choice to find out the whole story.

As for why the Warden was brought in (my DA:O save got erased during a bad hard drive transfer, so I probably don't have a complete picture), I think that this is also going to be future DLC. Either that or he, as well as Zevran and Allistair were just brought in for those "hey, I know that guy" moments. Leliana probably has a bigger role to play seeing as she's the "left hand" for the Divine now and she was there at the ending.

The bigger picture is really that the Champion's rise was the downfall of the circle and the templars. Now the Chantry is trying to pick up the pieces and I'm guessing that's the direction the story will head now.

I hope this helps. I was a little dissatisfied at the ending as well, but only because I was really wanting there to be more to do and I don't feel like they wrapped up some of the companions very well. DLC though, I think that's the major direction this game is heading hopefully leading up to a big expansion (Awakening wasn't really that earth shattering to me). I don't know if I'm just making some wrong conclusions here, though.

I'm seconding what he said. The reason the Seeker was searching for Hawke was because he was there when everything fell apart, and is can be a major force in resolving the current mage crisis.

Also, I would think he would be a person to go to when dealing with the mages because he himself is a mage. Reasoning: The Hawke seen on the posters and the Destiny Trailer is using the Staff of Parlathan and wearing the Champion armor set of the mage.

I agree with you, at the end it specifically mentions them wanting Hawke to resolve the conflict. As for this cannon Hawke everyone is talking about, him being a mage and what not, I don't buy it. I mean, yes, he's what they show in the trailers and such, and he's definitely a mage in all the trailers, but the Grey Warden was a Human Warrior in all the first trailers....and Morrigan wore a shirt. So not everything in the trailers is necessarily cannon. I mean, would that fight with the Arishok been nearly as cool if he didn't get ripped in half in the end? Also, in the trailer they're fighting outside, in the daytime, and you fight the Arishok indoors at night. Just saying.

Your sister is a mage, your father was an apostate mage, being a mage yourself would probably make it cooler, but I'm comfortable with my Rogue.

I agree with you, at the end it specifically mentions them wanting Hawke to resolve the conflict. As for this cannon Hawke everyone is talking about, him being a mage and what not, I don't buy it. I mean, yes, he's what they show in the trailers and such, and he's definitely a mage in all the trailers, but the Grey Warden was a Human Warrior in all the first trailers....and Morrigan wore a shirt. So not everything in the trailers is necessarily cannon. I mean, would that fight with the Arishok been nearly as cool if he didn't get ripped in half in the end? Also, in the trailer they're fighting outside, in the daytime, and you fight the Arishok indoors at night. Just saying.

Your sister is a mage, your father was an apostate mage, being a mage yourself would probably make it cooler, but I'm comfortable with my Rogue.

I just wish that was an actual ability.

Well, in my opinion, I think they left it open ended for DLC and probably an expansion that they have planned.

As for the rest of it:

The seeker is from the Chantry which, after the events of the last chapter, is a mess all over Thedas. If you remember, she says something about there being a huge mess that they have to clean up. She seeks out Varric because he's likely to be the only one who is sitting in a tavern telling the story. So, the Seekers did their research and figured he'd be the best choice to find out the whole story.

As for why the Warden was brought in (my DA:O save got erased during a bad hard drive transfer, so I probably don't have a complete picture), I think that this is also going to be future DLC. Either that or he, as well as Zevran and Allistair were just brought in for those "hey, I know that guy" moments. Leliana probably has a bigger role to play seeing as she's the "left hand" for the Divine now and she was there at the ending.

The bigger picture is really that the Champion's rise was the downfall of the circle and the templars. Now the Chantry is trying to pick up the pieces and I'm guessing that's the direction the story will head now.

I hope this helps. I was a little dissatisfied at the ending as well, but only because I was really wanting there to be more to do and I don't feel like they wrapped up some of the companions very well. DLC though, I think that's the major direction this game is heading hopefully leading up to a big expansion (Awakening wasn't really that earth shattering to me). I don't know if I'm just making some wrong conclusions here, though.

Thanks a lot! It all makes sense now!

I also hated how some of the companions stories were just kind of hung out to dry. They definitely have a lot of options for DLC though. Excited for that.

Thanks again though! That was a very good explanation :)

Just a quick note that if you completed 'Justice' and allowed Anders into the Chantry then he blows it up and I believe that this is the initial reason that Leliana and the Seeker were searching for the Champion, they believed that the Champion blew it up with intent. The seeker seems very surprised that the group for DA2 didn't actually arrive in Kirkwall together which leads me to believe that they thought that the Champion and her (in my case, as I play females) team intended all of the things that they caused or helped out with in Kirkwall.