This is a great game for sure, but I need to try something different to enjoy it more

I've done around 50 quests, mainly side ones, and not completed one faction line yet. I have been playing through on normal difficulty and put around 80% of my skill points into the Finesse tree. I'm mostly a stand off archer, with sword at close range, but im getting real bored real quick. There's just so much to do around the world and just way to much loot that the game seems to be loosing me now, but it's such an amazing game. So, I'm thinking about starting over as a mage and going to hard difficulty. I never quite quite worked out how to craft great weapons and gems, could never quite understand sagecraft so feels like I'm missing out on most of the fun.

How should I start out as a Mage and get into crafting better weapons and armour on hard level? What is a good strategy to adopt regarding the huge amount of loot in the world? what the hell do I aim to keep, what do I salvage and what should I sell lol. I'm a massive gamer for sure, no mug when it comes to RPG's but the scale of this one just has me wondering around aimlessly doing bits here and bits there lol.

Not sure how much this will help, but I'll try. For looting, I always picked up everything I found. I leveled up my speech (or barter, whatever it was called, I can't remember currently) as quickly as possible so I could sell stolen goods to anyone. I made good use of all the trainers so I could get as many skills as possible. As well as finding and using every skill book. I also suggest buying all of the backpack upgrades. (The locations of these and the skill books and trainers can easily be found on the Amalur Wiki) I found myself going back to a merchant (which ever was closest to me) frequently because I picked up everything. I'd suggest after every quest you do or every dungeon/cave/whatever you explore, go to a merchant and sell almost everything you have. If you want to keep certain items but not equip them. Do one of the side quests (or finish the main quest) that will reward you with a house. In there you can have a chest to store whatever you want. This will free up your inventory and also get rid of the chance of accidentally selling something you didn't want to sell. Not sure what else to suggest regarding looting, just keep your eye on how much you are carrying and if you think you are almost full either go sell it all or drop somethings that are not worth a lot. Oh yeah, keep in mind crafting items and reagents do not have any weight, so you can carry as much of those as you want.

As for the Mage, I haven't played as a straight up Mage so I can't offer any insight with that area. I played as a pretty even mixture of all three areas. My main weapon was always a set of Chakrams and I had a bow set to my secondary weapon. I also used a good variety of abilities/spells. I played on Hard and honestly, it's not too difficult. You just need to know when to dodge (and do it a lot) or block I guess. I never block though, I just dodge. And probably a good idea to carry a lot of health potions with you. I had A LOT of them on me, way more then I ever needed but I just felt better having more then I needed.

Anyways that's all I can think of at the moment. Sorry if this didn't help, but hopefully something here helps even a bit. Good luck.

thanks for taking the time to write a little advice, appreciate it.

I'm loving my mage build so far, gone with Staff and Chakrams as my primary and secondary weapons, it's so much fun, and playing on Hard has definitely more rewarding combat. I'm trying to work out what to salvage to get better weapons, and I really need to look into the wiki to find out locations of skill books and trainers.

Thanks once again. I've got Witcher 2 to start as well, was hoping to get this one finished first, but it's taking so long I just can't wait to play The Witcher 2.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going straight Mage on hard. I main chakrams w/fire for best damage, an ice scepter to slow down tougher monsters from a distance, & powered up my lightning spell right away to make sure I can exploit any elemental weaknesses. I also use a powered-up fae gorta summon spell for tough fights (he gains me health while distracting enemies).

I broke down tons of gear & sold what I couldn't salvage. Put lots of skill points in blacksmith & sagecrafting for achievements, but found I can make great gear w/epic gems.

Best thing is rebuilding your character costs 5000+ gold, which is nothing after a while. Hell, you can just make an alternate save & test a new character. Start stashing some different gear.

my first play through i finished 49/50 achievements and had almost all the skills to lvl 10 except for dispelling/lockpicking. I too wanted to be able to craft and put together my own equipment. I simply found that the chakrams I bought at lvl 15 were better than any weapon I found or created the rest of the game.

personally I like using the Universalist destiny. @lvl 2 it gives you +1 skills and @lvl 5 it gives you +2 skills. I used Chakrams with Daggers as my secondary. Sustained abilities I used Envenomed Edge and Sphere of Protection. Later on I also started using Battle Frenzy. I also maxed out Conservative Casting along with Ice Barrage, Storm Bolt, Quake, Shadow Flare. You cant have all 4 of those mapped while having sustained abilities on.

Now if you really want to craft your own stuff or atleast see what you can put together. 1 thing that will really help is atleast having the Dead Kel DLC. There is a mission after restoring gravehall keep where you can constantly trade 10k gold for about 10-15 master/flawless components. If you dont have that you can buy all the components from any shop and find many more. Also for salvaging its useful to have a high blacksmithing obviously. It allows you to salvage higher grade items. As far as trying to salvage the best I would salvage the items that had specs that I wanted. Also remember the newer items you find as you play the game will obviously bring you better components ie prismere/silvanite/azurite. Also this is more time consuming but you can save before salvaging and if you dont get something you like you can reload. personally I dont like this but it helps.

IMO after putting 80 hours on my first playthrough and getting 49/50 its better to just try and buy the things you want or need and sell all your loot.

And lastly if you have anymore questions dont hesitate to message me. I love this game and think its amazing. Im currently 7hrs into my hard playthrough for the last achievment. Hope this all helped.

Edited by pRo iamKilla
MORE INFO

I played as pretty much a melee with a hammer with a couple points in the other trees to get a trap and then that protection bubble. I also played on hard and thought the combat was really good.

Inventory can get super crazy if your not careful, even when I had 120 slots, dang potions only stack to 10 and then the new stack counts as a new slot. Lame to me but eh. I saved all my yellow and some purple at my house.

Alcemy was alright when I didn't have much gold but later in the game it became kinda eh as I could afford stacks of pots. Blacksmithing was hit and miss for me. Sagecraft was again alright. I really didn't find all that great of gear with open spots.

I played The Witcher 2 a few weeks back and compared to KoA: R, it is so boring and tedious.