This is a new feature on the forums. The staff are going around tidying the clutter and making sure x360a is the one stop shop for all your 360 needs.

The FAQ threads are where we need your help! What do you think are the most commonly asked questions about this game? Which threads keep popping up? What things do you wish you had been told when you first got this game?

Post in this thread and I'll edit the top post

Thanks for your help...

[iNCLUDE ANSWERS TO YOUR QUESTIONS AS WELL]

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

i have a question, and im not sure if this is where i need to post this, but whats the quickest way to level up your lockpicking ability? ive been trying to pick as many locks as i can find, and i always seem to break 30 lock picks before having a successful unlock just to find 3 lock picks in the chest and 6 gold. lol.

also, how do i level up the alchemist stuff?

thanks!

i have a question, and im not sure if this is where i need to post this, but whats the quickest way to level up your lockpicking ability? ive been trying to pick as many locks as i can find, and i always seem to break 30 lock picks before having a successful unlock just to find 3 lock picks in the chest and 6 gold. lol.

also, how do i level up the alchemist stuff?

thanks!

You want to do the Nocturnal Daedric quest which will net you an unbreakable lockpick and then just go nuts lockpicking. You will also need to drain your lockpicking skill for this to get you Master as it has lockpicking bonuses. Alves Uvenim of the Leyawiin Mages Guild will mark this on your map if you talk to him about Daedric shrines. There are videos on lockpicking technique on youtube but basically, never auto pick, use the pick to push up a tumbler and wait for it to move up slowly (relative for a tumbler, some people still think it is fast) and press a I think and the tumbler will lock in the up position. If you press a while it is on it's way down, you will break the pick. Lockpicking is a pretty useless skill as you can pick locks easily no matter what level you skill is.

The easiest way to level alchemy is to join the mages guild and take the 4 alchemy apparatus or just buy them, and run around picking ingredients and making potions using the mortar and pestle. Create potions by equiping the apparatus, not the ingredient. I suggest making rounds to farms and guild halls you are member to (if not a member you will be stealing) and picking up food. You can also go and buy all the ingredients from the bars, taverns, inns, and alchemy stores. Make sure you don't buy any ingredient worth more than say 20 gold. Use only two ingredients in each potion as the number of effects doesn't affect the price, just the quality of the potion (apparatus and alchemy skill level). When you get alot of potions, just sell them to the merchants. I suggest Ogier Georick is a merchant at The Main Ingredient in the Market district in the Imperial City.

Im just going to give you a couple different techniques. For lockpicking download the theives den. Once you complete a quest there is a chest for practiceing lockpicking and it will remain locked no matter what so you can just pic away. Do the dupe glitch and just get an insane amount of picks, im pretty sure the auto lockpicking works and it makes it a ton faster so try that. If it dont then just start picking away manually. I got it up extremely fast this way. Also draining ur level wont help u level up faster, i tried this and it didnt make it any faster. I counted the locks that i had to pic for a level up and there was only a slight difference between level ups as it should be. Also if you are using the skeleton key it wont level you up at all. Its good though if you dont want to worry about lockpicking so you can just auto pic away and that is the only pic youll ever need.

Since money isnt hard to come by in OB, especially using the DG, just go to all of the alchemy shops and buy every single ingrediant. Then just start making potions until ya run out, turn around and sell the potions to get some or most of you money back and then just wait a few days and then rinse and repeat, if you want to make it even faster you can just dupe a large amount of indrediants so that you never run out ;). I would heavily suggest that you dont make alchemy a major skill as it can ruin the game if you level it up to fast to early. Also dont level it up more then 10 time per level as you cant get anything higher than a +5 bonus and it will just waste it for later levels.

Im just going to give you a couple different techniques. For lockpicking download the theives den.

lol thats why i asked^^ the theives den is in that cove where its a "very hard" lock to unlock, which i am i think a level 4 theif, and i just dont see that happening.. lol i just wanted in! i wanted my new home! :p

anyways, thats that. i havent downloaded any other extra content just yet. i wanted to play thru and enjoy oblivion before picking up knights of the nine and shivering isles expansions.

• 1 month later...

Q. How can I make relatively good money at the beginning?

A. Steal items from shops then fence. (It is advised to get at least 1,000 worth of fence to complete the Thieves Guild quest-line.)

A. You can also just do The Arena quest-line that gives quite good money.

Q. How do I increase my Conjuration quickly?

A. Buy a Bound spell from a spell merchant, then cast it, then sheath your weapon to cancel the effect, continue doing this, it uses relatively low Magicka.(I'm using Bound Dagger, it only uses 17 Magicka.)

~ VI JimJam ~

whats the max level for skills and max level

They are 255 each. Normal maximum on skills is 100 and any increase beyond that, has no benefit compared to skill level 100. Although it is most likely impossible to get 255 on all skills, there are ways of lowering your skills to raise them up to 100 before restoring them and also events that can raise skills past 100. To get level 255, you need to plan out a character with low attributes and major skills that you can level the character while not increasing attributes very much. It is very tricky and requires alot of going to jail and hoping a major skill will decrease so you can raise them up again to level up. If your attributes all max out, you will be unable to level up.

• 2 weeks later...
is umbra the best weapon and if not how do you get the best weapon

There isn't really a "best weapon" Umbra would be in the top 10 though. You would really need to define what constitutes a best weapon. Combos will do the most damage (spells and poisons with weapons). The only thing keeping Umbra from being the hands down best weapon is that it's enchantment sucks maybe. If you need souls, it's great... Enchanted weapons are good too, weapons enchanted with weakness and damage deal good damage. Of course, if you can't repair enchanted items, enchanted might not be the way to go. Firebrand and Duskfang/Dawnfang are often brought up as best weapons also. These are only good if you have a blade character, there are a few maces that are low on weight compared to damage, and enchanted bows with enchanted arrows.

Do you have to follow the "main quest" storyline after escaping the sewers, or can you go and do a guild or the arena stuff?

As I wasn't doing very well at closing the first gate in Klatch I thought perhaps I should go improve my sword skills by doing the arena.

Also, should you always accept any invites to guilds you receive or is there usually another chance?

Are there any guilds that are incompatible or cause issues with other quests?

Do you have to follow the "main quest" storyline after escaping the sewers, or can you go and do a guild or the arena stuff?

As I wasn't doing very well at closing the first gate in Klatch I thought perhaps I should go improve my sword skills by doing the arena.

The game is an open experience, you don't have to do anything. I normally don't persue the main quest line until I am level 30. There is only one quest in the game that if you leave alone, the thief you are after will escape. All the other quests will wait for you to activate them. If you never go near Kvatch, those chumps can hold out in the Chapel forever and Oblivion will put its invasion on hold while you go out to pick flowers for alchemy.

• 1 month later...
I normally don't persue the main quest line until I am level 30.

Having finished all the guild quests and the arena I'm level 22 and returning to Klatch I find myself facing levelled nasties through the Oblivion gate. :(

A Spider Daedra, Storm Atronach and a Daedroth, which when they're all charging you down is a bit of a nightmare as they combine ranged and close attacks. Kinda wish I'd attempted it back at level 1 now as they were only little scamps.

Having finished all the guild quests and the arena I'm level 22 and returning to Klatch I find myself facing levelled nasties through the Oblivion gate. :(

A Spider Daedra, Storm Atronach and a Daedroth, which when they're all charging you down is a bit of a nightmare as they combine ranged and close attacks. Kinda wish I'd attempted it back at level 1 now as they were only little scamps.

I closed the gate at Kvatch first, then I did all the guild quests and now I'm back to the main quest line and it's much less frustrating :)

honestly, the best level to go close all the gates is around level 10-13...the daedra aren't too hard to deal with at those levels, yet it's not like you will just walk through them. :Bounce:

honestly, the best level to go close all the gates is around level 10-13...the daedra aren't too hard to deal with at those levels, yet it's not like you will just walk through them. :Bounce:

I'm level 32 doing the gates now and it's a good time. Increasing a bunch of skills I didn't really use any other time either (Heavy Armor, Blunt, etc) since all my core skills but Bow and Acrobatics are maxed at 100.

• 7 months later...
Sorry for the probably noob question, but I'm new to the game.

Is levelling Hand to Hand as a main 'weapon' pointless? It's starting to seem that way.

hand to hand can be EXTREMELY powerful. you can knock down enemies and stuff. but in general, it's better to have a sword or an axe. i'll frequently use hand to hand when i don't feel like wasting charges on enchanted weapons.