Which game has the best music?

NevynYT

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is the only game I will always turn off my own music when I play, the soundtrack's amazing. I'll sometimes leave the game running on the title screen just to listen to the looping choir's song :p

Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon on the N64 is another game with incredibly catchy music, nowhere near as good as Castlevania though.

My absolute favourite track from a game though is Donkey Kong Country's 2 Stickerbush Symphony:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73n7HTcmb5g]YouTube - Donkey Kong Country 2 Soundtrack: Bramble Blast[/ame]

Whichever game lets me override their music with my iPod :p

To really answer the question, though, I like racing games' soundtracks that have rock (and not rap). Aside from that, all of the orchestral game music sounds more or less the same to me, but Halo: Reach's stood out quite a bit due to the fact it went well with the story (as in increased drama or anticipation).

I think the best use of licenced music goes to rockstar. From GTA 3 through to undead redemption they have a nack for picking the right music for the right moment.

Stubbs the Zombie had a really cool soundtrack of 50's and 60's covers, including "If I only Had a Brain" from The Wizard of Oz performed by The Flaming Lips.

Game music I can't listen to is prety much any Silent Hill score. Even the music genuinely scares me, which is a shame because a lot of it is brilliant.

I have a huge collection of game osts in my collection and I have to say the best scores go to the Metal Gear franchise. Harry Gregson Williams is an amazing composer, and manages to create brilliant new sound for each game while keeping the classics freash. The MGS3 theme is the best.

Edited by Solar Mechanic