This game is bad.

FriXionX

I dont see how anyone can enjoy this game. Bad voice acting, barely any spells/skills, and apparently, according to my friend, very, very easy. I actually thought this was the worst RPG ive played. I got to the place where you pick up that little girl in that snowy place, and got EXTREMELY bored, ive only ever played that game ONE TIME. the day i got it. Its just the SAME THING over and over and over again, which doesnt make a game fun. Terrible TERRIBLE storyline aswell. I dont know how people like this, its just unreal.

Well thats my rant over. Just stating my point ;)

In many ways you are right; it is bad. The story, voice acting, characters and quests are pretty poor. But it gets better; and it grows on you...until eventually you find yourself trying to get that 900th battle trophie 700 hours down the line.

Maybe not quite that extreme but the game does have some enjoyable time sinks such as item synthesis. I couldn't tell you why exactly i'm farming Magical Clay for the 100th time just so i can make super wicked armour; I just am.

I just dont really like RPG's where you fly around in space. I hated Mass Effect, partly because it was in space, and partly because it had the worst combat system, and probably one of the most boring games ive played.

I dont know how this got a 8-9/10 in reviews that i looked at. I thought this game looked absolutely AWESOME i even bought the guide with it aswell for my 2nd playthrough. I didnt even get past the 2nd planet, what a waste of £15. :(

I don't think you can really get a complete idea of a game just by playing it so few hours. Ok, this game sucks quite much and you get any point about it. You are also probably right about most of what you said; still, you can't say that without really playing it. Keep going, perhaps you may start liking it a little. I mean, once you have it, go for it. Use online guides next time, and trust reviews only when they all say a game sucks; when they don't, they are probably written by too much exited people, hence are carried on with enthusiasm and not realism. But actually, my language's review about this game always gave no more than 7.5/8. Gamefaqs doesn't aswell.

Anyways, I'd advice you to play it at least a little more. Then, if you really decide it sucks, forget about it and pick some retro-RPG, which is what everyone should do before buying almost any next-gen-RPG. Up to you; I'd rather shoot myself than not using something I bought.

Def not the worst RPG but far from the best. Sadly I thought Star Ocean 2 was way better. And Star Ocean: Til the end of Time seemed very similar to this. The achievements suck ass and the characters are really gay except Arumat cause he is a badass and hates the other characters and wants to die because he has to roll with a bunch of emo-pussies. If you are only at the second world then you are actually no where in the game and shouldn't judge it quite yet it is still one of the better RPGs on the 360. (which we need some RPGs this is just wrong) I would recommend Lost Odyssey though I think it's the best RPG on Xbox 360 other then Fallout 3

Sadly I thought Star Ocean 2 was way better.

That's part of the problem - if you compare something to Star Ocean 2, of course it's going to suck in comparison :D

I'm not going to lie, a lot of the plot to this game is absolutely awful, a lot of the characters are ungodly annoying (Edge, Lymle, Faize, etc.), the disc swapping at the end of the game is mind-boggling. Either way, I still come back to playing it. Part of that might be being poor as balls and can't really afford to blow money on other games :p - but it's still somewhat entertaining. I haven't played a 360 RPG game yet with a better battle system (haven't played IU yet so I don't know about it).

Thats the thing - i cant play any more. Im actually bored out of my mind while playing this game. All it is is pretty much mashing A or RT.

I like the blindsides, but meh...

Oh yeah another thing thats terrible - the animation & the speed you run around at on the map. LIEK WTF.

• 9 months later...

Wait a second.... You don't like games that are in space, and you didn't like Mass Effect!?!? Maybe you should stick to playing Modurn Warfurrr Too.

Also, your friend said this game is very, very, easy? I would suggest not to take advice from him anymore.

Try playing it for more than an hour too.

• 1 month later...

ROFL...

When I saw the words "Hate" and "Mass Effect" in the same sentence, I suddenly realized you have some bad taste.

I've always hated English dubs in J-RPGs, it's just me. However, the storyline made sense to me (I've played SO2 and SO3 beforehand), the gameplay is solid (apart from the lack of manual targeting, Blindsides can get complicated, and I miss my Fury bar), and the skillsets are fine. It's true that you don't get a lot of skills, but you probably won't even have enough CP to equip the high-cost skills.

And who buys retail guides? I've seen GameFAQs guides that are much, much, better than them. Sure, you get pictures, but if you know what you're doing, you don't need it.

This game is not easy in any way, shape, or form, unless you overlevel 10+ levels above the next set of enemies (which in itself is time-consuming). Maybe you should try to get to Disc 2 and the 6 Phantom Ambushes.

The actual storyline for the game isn't bad and the combat is somewhat broken but still pretty fun. However the characters are horrible. I think half of them had no reason to be in the party and I think overall there were none i liked and only 2 i didn't hate. Also the achievements are insane to get which wouldn't be a problem if i had more fun with the game overall.

I wouldn't say the game was horrible, just below average.

I havent played Star Ocean one or two, but I absolutely loved the third game. Especially its story (really shocked me back then).

This game has the fun battle system, collectibles, and tough super dungeons of 3. This game, however, has a horrible story. Definitely one of the worst stories I had the pleasure of playing through (worst being Grandia 3.. *shudder*). Not only did it lack any real tie ins to the series (besides the law being passed in the end) but it also used the most ridiculous reasons to tie this game into series (See rant below).

*SPOILER*

An advanced, colonialist military empire not only gives Earth tech, but also helps us with our problems. Then when they lose their home planet near the end they decide to forsake all the technology they had, to completely change and erase their culture to blend in with some ancestors and become farmers. I thought this was a Colonialist empire! They could just have started over on another planet! They should have some extra colonies lying around, but it only seems that they had their home planet no colonies but was helping humans get colonies.

*END SPOILER*

Thats my biggest issue with the story, but there are plenty of other issues.

Perhaps you simply have to be used to such things or if anything, be an avid lover of JRPG's. I for one enjoyed this game despite the bad voice acting and some of the minor technical issue but I figure I can look past its flaws because 1# - I have always followed and enjoyed the star ocean franchise and 2# - I love jrpg's. I feel there is a lot of good here and that in many ways it overwhelms the bad.

In many ways I feel this game is one for the hardcore jrpg completist (as the achievements somewhat foreshadow) and much like the 3rd game in the series - some can be a challenge or grind to obtain but I feel if you've played enough jrpg's in your time, then you're kind of used to this.

I loved the battle system and the environments looked great; the cast was your usual rag-tag group and some of the musical scores were a treat. The optional dungeons were a fun challenge; and if you have such picky qualms as have been pointed out, go buy the ps3 version...

Edited by Plot-Device
spelling/punctuation

• 4 weeks later...

I started seriously playing this game two weeks ago after owning it since it came out. I knew all about the difficulty for the achievements(not that they're hard just extremely time consuming and sometimes require divine intervention), but I figured that if I don't put it on and play for 1000 points, I will never play this game to the end. I don't regret it.

The game is far from perfect, but its not bad as it could have been. Its about what I expected from Star Ocean. I've played others in the series, but never saw them through to the end. This one I will definitely play all the way through(I want more achievements!!!). Edge Maverick (...haha) may not be the best leader or have the greatest group to go around outer space with, but the battle system is good, the graphics aren't ugly, and you can skip scenes so.... other than all the battle trophies I have to get everyone and item creation achievements, I've made peace with this game. I just wish it wasn't going to take so long. I really do. I blame tri-Ace. They always throw me a curve...

Who am I kidding. Its my own fault. I have Tales of Vesperia to play next too... Why do I keep doing this to myself? Stupid ocd...

Edited by XY Gameboi4Ever

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

at the beginning i also said "wow this game sucks !" : bad graphics, bad voice acting, bad story, ... but the more i played it the more i enjoyed it. you actually get used to the graphics, and the combat system is awesome compared to other rpgs. the item synthesis system is extraordinary you can create almost any kind of weapon/armor you want.

so4 is undoutably one of the best rpgs i've ever played.