Anyone else finding the game much harder than Dark Souls?

Rascalov

I've been playing for a few hours and it just seems a lot harder. Regular enemies seem smarter and faster, always attacking in packs, and the first boss was a nightmare for me. I've 1000G'd Dark Souls on the 360 and platinumed Demon's Souls on the PS3. Thought they were both much easier to be honest. I think this actually might be the hardest game on the 360. :D

Yep, MUCH harder! Between enemies not dropping ANYTHING (in DS i would get life herbs when i needed them) stock depleting from merchants and enemies not appearing once you killed them a bunch of times, i'm struggling alot! More then i ever did with DS.

I'm wondering how i'm ever supposed to level up, i died a gizzillion times in the area i'm in now (Forrest of fallen giants) and lost my souls a bunch of times, now the enemies are gone and thats it for the souls i could gather there...

Edited by TheLegendOf1977

Yep, MUCH harder! Between enemies not dropping ANYTHING (in DS i would get life herbs when i needed them) stock depleting from merchants and enemies not appearing once you killed them a bunch of times, i'm struggling alot! More then i ever did with DS.

I'm wondering how i'm ever supposed to level up, i died a gizzillion times in the area i'm in now (Forrest of fallen giants) and lost my souls a bunch of times, now the enemies are gone and thats it for the souls i could gather there...

I had the same issue. So far, I haven't found any good spots for farming souls. Most of my souls have came from killing bosses. The first few bosses are easy if you summon phantoms to help. Also, there is a hat you can buy from the merchant in Forest of Fallen Giants that boosts item discovery. That helps somewhat.

Just to be clear: Forest of fallen giants is the first area you have to/can go, right? In DS when i struggled this much it was because i went to an area i wasn't supposed to go.

Every other area has locked doors (as far as i can tell)

Yup it's like the undead burg

Get a covetous silver serpent ring --- I wore it for a majority of the game, and made sure I had it equipped after most of the bosses.

Regular

Chest reward in Lost Bastille closest to The Tower Apart bonfire. Beyond the room with a Royal Crossbowman and multiple undead dogs.

Ring +1

+20% Souls from fallen foes

The +1 version is acquired from the Traveling Merchant Hag Melentia who will give it to you after you spend around 10,000 souls in her shop. Just use the Talk command to claim it.

Alternatively it drops when you kill her.

Ring +2

Mytha, the Baneful Queen (NG+ only)

I played the whole game with 0 farming (excluding reclearing paths to some of the bosses, others I would rush through) and the basic silver covetous ring which is apparently 10% boost and I finished just under SL150. I probably lost close to 200k souls in deaths, fearing limited respawns would be an issue as well, but obviously not. A great place to farm, if you need to, is the Iron Keep. Since you can teleport from any of the bonfires, just be safe and spend what you have when you hit like 50k souls.

Edited by Shiftie

Get a covetous silver serpent ring --- I wore it for a majority of the game, and made sure I had it equipped after most of the bosses.

Regular

Chest reward in Lost Bastille closest to The Tower Apart bonfire. Beyond the room with a Royal Crossbowman and multiple undead dogs.

Ring +1

+20% Souls from fallen foes

The +1 version is acquired from the Traveling Merchant Hag Melentia who will give it to you after you spend around 10,000 souls in her shop. Just use the Talk command to claim it.

Alternatively it drops when you kill her.

Ring +2

Mytha, the Baneful Queen (NG+ only)

Thanx for the tips! Although i'm not anywhere near those places i think, i'll keep it in mind.

I find it harder, but I find my deaths are cheap.

For example, I'll swing and then see the enemy going to swing back and so I'll block -boom- hit me anyway, apparently I can't raise my shield in time.

Same happens when I try and parry/backstab, I'm just far too slow. I know a lot of this is related to agility, but being so used to DaS it's hard to adapt to this new style. First boss was a pain in the ass also, kept 1 hitting me, I obviously needed points in VIG, but I spent them elsewhere lol.

I just need to get used to it I suppose.

I find it harder, but I find my deaths are cheap.

For example, I'll swing and then see the enemy going to swing back and so I'll block -boom- hit me anyway, apparently I can't raise my shield in time.

Same happens when I try and parry/backstab, I'm just far too slow. I know a lot of this is related to agility, but being so used to DaS it's hard to adapt to this new style. First boss was a pain in the ass also, kept 1 hitting me, I obviously needed points in VIG, but I spent them elsewhere lol.

I just need to get used to it I suppose.

I've had similar frustrations on my first 5 hours or so. Run out of enemies to level up, stacked probably 30+ deaths and was stuck with only 50% health. I had the same frustration that I couldn't block quickly enough or parry quickly, the Estus flask takes longer to drink from and I hadn't leveled up too efficiently, and that Last Giant took me down plenty!

Once I defeated him I decided to start fresh with a new character now that I had some idea as to my play style and I must say this worked a treat!

Given I knew what to expect of the game up to the first boss I was actually able to stomp my way though. I chose a slightly different class that suited my playstyle better and allowed me to wield the weapons I wanted to but but was unable to as I hadn't leveled up correctly for the first time around.

So far I've gone through both bosses in the Forest and the "familiar" boss in Heide's Tower and I have a total of 5 deaths to my name this time so still going strong in the Health department. I have done no soul grinding so my areas are still full of enemies as this time I was able to be smarter with my skill points so actually took down the Last Giant a full 10 levels lower than my first, very unsuccessful, playthough.

Depending on your playstyle I wouldn't worry about upgrading your health. Yes the last giant will one hit kill you so it's about the tactics. I would stay away from him, then run between his legs, he's swipe and while he did I hacked his legs then ran back and repeated. Was able to kill him first go the second play through.

IF you are melee like I am then you need stamina and carry weight, focus here and only level str/dex to weild what you need. I haven't upgraded AGL so I still have the annoying slow block but once you learn the enemies movements you know how many strikes you can land before needing to block so I'm just managing this.

Get some of the good items early, Estus Shards, Cloranthy ring and the Regen ring (after the Last Giant) and this will help.

Edited by Sniper JZA80
Remove possible spoiler

I cant decide if it is harder than 1, I know the beginning is slightly more gentle than the first and i havent had too many problems but most of my deaths are my fault, i think because i have been playing DS1 loads before release i am a little bit less cautious and have that 'i beat dark souls so i can take anything you throw at me' mentality which just doesnt work!

I am really enjoying it though and there are some elements that seem to help you, there seem to be more chests this time and you can equip 4 rings which is great, but then there are also harder elements like multiple enemies at one time, much harder to lure one out at a time and just a whole lot more to learn.

I cant decide if it is harder than 1, I know the beginning is slightly more gentle than the first and i havent had too many problems but most of my deaths are my fault, i think because i have been playing DS1 loads before release i am a little bit less cautious and have that 'i beat dark souls so i can take anything you throw at me' mentality which just doesnt work!

I know what you mean. I 1000/1000ed DS1 about a month ago in preparation. Now im getting my ass handed to me.

Getting gang raped by swarms of hard to hit enemies is definitely reminiscent of my first venture into New Londo Ruins in DS1.

Yeah exactly, I know i should take things carefully and slowly but im still using my DS tactics, there was one early boss that i thought yeah i know the score but got utterly destroyed way too many times!

I think its also partly because i am so used to the way enemies acted in DS, they werent the brightest and there were no real hidden suprises, whereas this one there have been a few times i swear they had stopped their normal attack pattern and i have gone to attack only to get hit by an extra attack.