Did you..? *Contains spoilers*

Who the hell is Roland?

EDIT: Next time just say "The Paladin". And No, I didn't pity him at all. He was arrogant as hell because he thought himself God's chosen one. It was only when he realized he wasn't, and that he was going to die by Dracula's hand, that his attitude changed.

As for Victor.... I was pretty disappointed by his death. It felt wildly unnecessary. He just stood there. He could have ran. He could have fought. He could have done ANYTHING. But instead he sacrificed himself. And for what? So they could draw out the second acolyte? I'm sorry, but the three of them together would have pounded the shit out of that little bitch.

Edited by ThePumpkinKing

I call the Paladin by his name to honor him as I honor memorable characters. Yes he had a name. He's Roland de Ronceval.

As for Victor I knew he was going to die as soon as he said his probably most memorable line in the game:

"I'm Victor Belmont, commander of the Brotherhood of Light. Protector of humanity and the last of my illustrious bloodline."

Also, not sure if its me or what but he does has a strong resemblance to Last of Us' Joel.

But yeah his death was poorly planned and I think he should have a better role than that. But oh well, game is gorgeous anyways.

Edited by Moldredd

I forgot the Paladin even existed five minutes after killing him. There was nothing memorable about him to me. Victor I think should have had a MUCH bigger role in the game. Since MercurySteam has confirmed that Revelations is their final offering in the series, I wouldn't mind seeing another company take a crack at the series with a spin-off game focusing on a younger Victor in the days before Dracula's awakening.

I call the Paladin by his name to honor him as I honor memorable characters. Yes he had a name. He's Roland de Ronceval.

I forgot the Paladin even existed five minutes after killing him. There was nothing memorable about him to me.

This about sums it up. He was the same type of cookie cutter boss in virtually every game ever made. Filler, at best.

You "honor him" as a "memorable" character? What an overly-melodramatic joke.

Let's say I took my time to read all the Lore etc. It's pretty awesome and made some characters memorable.

Oh and at the end when you remember everything he's there. That's pretty memorable to me.

Also, If you did like I did then you would realize that most of the challenges themselves are based on the diaries etc.

Edited by Moldredd

In the first LoS he was referenced over and over with each upgrade, he built all this wonderful stuff etc. Then in LoS 2 you find out it just this weak guy in a suit. And he's easily defeated and that's all about him. Was a major let down when I found out it was him.

That was Rinaldo Gandolfi. Different character entirely that disappeared several years before Lords of Shadow took place, and probably around 700 years before the prologue of Lords of Shadow 2.

Let's say I took my time to read all the Lore etc. It's pretty awesome and made some characters memorable.

Oh and at the end when you remember everything he's there. That's pretty memorable to me.

Also, If you did like I did then you would realize that most of the challenges themselves are based on the diaries etc.

I read each and every diary and memorial. He wasn't at all memorable. He was a fool sent to his death by the brotherhood. Just like Trevor Belmont so many years before. And just like each and every one of the 500,000 other soldiers that died when Dracula caused that explosion. They were nothing more than sheep led to slaughter.

Have to agree with Gabriel/Dracula. The brotherhood was the real villain for many, many years. They created the Lords of Shadow. They manipulated Gabriel. They sent him down a path they knew would result in him becoming the Prince of Darkness. They sent Trevor to kill him, only to have him be rewarded with a fate worse than death. And they we're responsible for the deaths of half a million soldiers whom they KNEW had no chance of defeated Dracula.

It wasn't until the Belmonts started running things that the Brotherhood stood for anything but hypocrisy and death.

Edited by ThePumpkinKing

It's still memorable regardless. How all these warriors were sent to their doom. How many regretted their missions at the end. How some questioned their faith. How each and every one of them died. Without mentioning the gruesome details behind their deaths. It's fascinating!

As for Gandolfi, at this rate he's pretty meh for me.

Lol... You find some wannabe chosen one, filler boss memorable. Yet find the fate of the man that built Castlevania, and the Combat Cross, aka the only way to kill Dracula to be "Meh"... Okay, whatever.

Your opinion is officially null and void in any and all future conversations about this franchise.

Who's Gandolfi? Have you seen him around? Or he's just a character from a text book? Refresh my mind, please.

Where does it say he built Castlevania? The lore? Don't recall seeing that.

And I agree, keeping this nonsense is pointless lol.

I'll leave it here.

PS. Important /= Memorable

Edited by Moldredd

Sorry I had to get involved :) (Big Lords of Shadow fan)

The Paladin for me wasn't a memorable character BUT he was important I feel as he emphasized the fact that even after Gabriel became the Prince of Darkness and all the stuff he did to humanity he was still Gods Chosen one, the Paladin was clearly humanity's chosen one but was a false prophet that humanity sadly chose to believe in when Dracula was put to sleep by Aluacard as referenced in most memories of the city.

Gandolfi is a memorable element in the saga as it was as mentioned by THEPUMPKINKING his doing that really helped with the whole plot with the vampire killer being made and the brotherhood of lights weapons and traps set, to me he is like the briefcase in Pulp Fiction (Movie) very important keeps the movie flowing never really see whats inside.

Who's Gandolfi? Have you seen him around? Or he's just a character from a text book? Refresh my mind, please.

Where does it say he built Castlevania? The lore? Don't recall seeing that.

And I agree, keeping this nonsense is pointless lol.

I'll leave it here.

PS. Important /= Memorable

Rinaldo Gandolfi built the combat cross, aka, the vampire killer. He also designed Castlevania for Walter Berhard. He also designed the titan (based on the agharatan titans) that the brotherhood used centuries later during the siege on Dracula's castle. The Toy Maker was said to be his finest pupil. How can you claim to have read the lore, but not know any of this? His name is thrown around constantly through all three games. Both by characters, and in scrolls/memorials/diaries.

even after Gabriel became the Prince of Darkness and all the stuff he did to humanity he was still Gods Chosen one

Exactly. That's what the entire game is about. Gabriel's quest for redemption. He was always God's chosen one. The Paladin was just a chump chosen by men that developed an elephant sized ego because of it. And he died realizing he was nothing but a coward in a fancy suit of armor.

Edited by ThePumpkinKing

Pumpkin, I don't often say this to people I see on message boards, but I agree with you and respect you completely.

Your argument is well thought out, well delivered, and based in hard fact. Everytime I read one of Moldredd's posts, your follow up was exactly how I would have retorted. You are obviously just as big a Castlevania fan as myself and have sufficient knowledge of both this game's plot and previous game's plot.

Not to say that people aren't entitled to their opinions (because they are), but I was more impressed with your line of reasoning on the majority of the points raised.

I know there have been a lot of rumors flying around about why LoS2 ended up the way it did (internal production company team problems being on the forefront if I am not mistaken), but even so I still enjoyed the game very much. That said, I believe they missed a golden opportunity to give us further insight into Gandolfi.

One of my own theories involves using a method of deduction I have used on similar series reboots. Considering in the original Castlevania Storyline (in particular Lament of Innocence) Gandolfi has a, lets call it a business relationship, with Mathias Cronqvist (sp?) who as most people know eventually becomes Dracula, and in the first LoS game their is a Journal Entry that implies Gabriel Belmont is the bastard of the Cronqvist (sp?) family, I always assumed that Gandolfi's disappearance had something to do with Gabriel's birth family (thereby making it no coincidence that when he grows up he ends up wielding Gandolfi's finest weapon).

It may just be implied storyline, but by looking at the way some characters of past games influenced eachother (even if those past games existed in an entirely different universe), you can deduce the intentions of the creators for these characters in the reboot as well.

Just my two cents.

Sorry I had to get involved :) (Big Lords of Shadow fan)

The Paladin for me wasn't a memorable character BUT he was important I feel as he emphasized the fact that even after Gabriel became the Prince of Darkness and all the stuff he did to humanity he was still Gods Chosen one, the Paladin was clearly humanity's chosen one but was a false prophet that humanity sadly chose to believe in when Dracula was put to sleep by Aluacard as referenced in most memories of the city.

Gandolfi is a memorable element in the saga as it was as mentioned by THEPUMPKINKING his doing that really helped with the whole plot with the vampire killer being made and the brotherhood of lights weapons and traps set, to me he is like the briefcase in Pulp Fiction (Movie) very important keeps the movie flowing never really see whats inside.

Good points right there and you aren't being a smartass. Thumbs up to you, good sir.

But still Rinaldo wasn't that interesting for me. He is indeed important for many reasons but I tended to forget about him from time to time due to the fact he's only mentioned in the games.

Pumpkin: Being badass isn't the same as being memorable. Hence you don't have to be one in order to be remembered. We all agree he wasn't that tough in the end but you do remember him as this self-proclaimed Champion (Or Savior if you must) in Golden Armor who thought he was "The One" just to die realizing he wasn't. Or the Nightmare behind the Kleidos Challenge 14 for many people. That's memorable, and how he was praised for a false victory over half millennia later, well that's good for me.

As for Rinaldo, designing isn't the same as building. Maybe you confused the words and confused me in the process. So for that, my apologies.

Edited by Moldredd