Music tastes five years ago.

Smoochy

Just curious as to what everyone listened to five years ago. Was it drastically different or pretty much the same?

Five years ago I listened to a lot of metalcore/deathcore. That's almost all I listened to back them.

Some examples are: The Devil Wears Prada, Bring Me The Horizon, Suicide Silence, Impending Doom, Whitechapel, Emmure, Chelsea Grin, and etc...

Now, I don't even touch any of those bands or bands that sound like that anymore.

Some examples of my current music tastes: Jack Johnson, DMB, Frank Sinatra, Backtrack, Madchild, Have Heart, Verse, City and Colour, Two Door Cinema Club, Eminem, Cruel Hand, Dead Kennedys, Streetlight Manifesto, Circa Survive, Dropkick Murphys, among many others.

Just curious as to how much other people's music tastes have changed in that time frame.

Five years ago I listened to a lot of Indie Rock such as Franz Ferdinand, Kasabian, We Are Scientists etc.

Now I still listen to as much, if not more, Indie but also alot of swing music (Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Sammy Davis Jr etc.), more rock in general. My taste in music hasn't changed at all, it has just broadened.

5 years ago I was listening to essentially the same stuff I do now -altrock, altcountry, freak folk, indie stuff except I have added classical music to my listenings now - baroque period, romantic then finally more modern stuff.

But 7 or 8 years ago I listened to metal and rap....strange times, haven't listened to it at all since.

When I was a teen it was all metal/rock/heavy stuff. Chimaira, Fear Factory, DevilDriver etc.

Nowaday's it's mostly electronic music - D&B, dubstep, electro etc. The Qemists, Netsky, Camo & Krooked etc.

I still love metal and go to live gigs/festivals, just nowhere near as much as I used to. I need heavy bass lines :D

• 3 months later...

I listen to pretty much the same music. I might not listen to some bands of genres but still listen to the genre. I did start listening to a lot more country regularly though I guess and a lot more indie bands/artists like Gabrielle Aplin, Lifestory: Monolouge, Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes, etc. I listened to them/the genre five years ago but now I listen to it more often. Five years ago I was more into Alt. Rock/Post-Hardcore.

Edit: I listen to more mainstream music too. I think it has to do with my brothers starting to listen to music more frequently and that's what they listen too.

Edited by Dog Face