This is the worst one so far!

YiazmatXII

I'm sorry, but I have to say right now... this is by far the worst XBLA Sonic game!

The achievements are just stupid! The gameplay doesn't feel as smooth, and quite frankly, it's just a confusing game. One thing which really stood out to me is the Metal Sonic race has CLEARLY been changed to make that achievement extremely difficult - This is what made me realize that it's not even the same game.

I was expecting much more from this after all the hype, but my final thoughts are... I wish I hadn't spent 400 point on it.

Can you convince me otherwise? lol

Edited by YiazmatXII

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree/agree.

I still think Sonic 3 & Knuckles are way better games overall. Sonic CD was treated better (getting upgrades and Tails and so on).

Sonic CD is definitely confusing, also very short and easy (unless going for the Time Stones), but I don't know what your beef with the achievements is.

And as for Metal Sonic, I never played Sonic CD back in the day, and while- yes, the fight is hard for stupid reasons, I got the achievement after about 5 tries. And I wasn't even trying to get the achievement, I was just trying to beat the freaking level.

I've always loved Sonic CD since I bought it for Windows '95 PC. I'm so glad that they finally released this on XBLA, as we had all the other classic Sonic games, but not this. Taxman has done an excellent job on the engine, too. I disagree with you about the achievements though - They're challenging, like achievements should be. It also makes you play the game a reasonable amount. And why do you find the game confusing? There's nothing confusing about it: You have to go into the Past, destory two items, and then return to the future!

I'm sorry, but I have to say right now... this is by far the worst XBLA Sonic game!

The achievements are just stupid!

How are many of the achievements worse than the rest of the Sonic games? If you're referring to how easy the Mega Drive/Genesis achievements are well that's kinda lame since they were FAR too easy (especially with save states at your disposal). 200/200 was pretty much a given.

Secondly, I reckon Sonic 4: Episode 1 and Sonic Adventure DX had worse achievements. I had no problem with Sonic CD, but Sonic 4 has that ridiculous "take no damage on the final stage" achievement and DX has glitched DLC achievements (not to mention the game is so glitchy and frustrating and with a ridiculous time consuming Chao race that forces you to cheer YOUR OPPONENTS in the middle of you trying to help your own Chao).

The gameplay doesn't feel as smooth, and quite frankly, it's just a confusing game. One thing which really stood out to me is the Metal Sonic race has CLEARLY been changed to make that achievement extremely difficult - This is what made me realize that it's not even the same game.

The physics are obviously different from the original (closer to the Mega Drive/Genesis games actually and many people actually prefer this) and as a result for the most part makes for a VERY smooth experience arguably moreso than the original.

Aside from a few minor problems (which mostly required some adapting though there are a few bugs) I otherwise had no problem myself. In fact I grabbed the Metal Sonic race achievement first time just by being a little cautious and with my knowledge of when the extended "upper shortcut" would finally appear. IMO the hardest achievement (since a guide can't exactly help you too much) but still better than Sonic 4's hardest achievement and very doable despite some difficulty.

Granted the game itself is a little confusing without a little practice but it's not hard to eventually work out. The "destroy every machine in the past" one might be a little difficult to work out without some sort of guide but just playing the game as a game is still fun experience particularly with what is arguably the richest and most fun/entertaining soundtrack of all the classic Sonic Games (that's my opinion at least).

I was expecting much more from this after all the hype, but my final thoughts are... I wish I hadn't spent 400 point on it.

Can you convince me otherwise? lol

You're entitled to your opinion, but I find it hard to believe that you'd consider 400 points a waste. There's far worse, more expensive XBLA titles out there. For 400 points and for a game that has had more effort put into it (and it shows) than emulated backbone genesis/mega drive ports for the other games. I think it's an amazing bargain and effort. I for one hope to see more of this sort of thing from sega and less lazy ports like Sonic Adventure DX or emulated and/or crappy compilation releases of the originals!

I've been wondering. Other than getting the achievement for doing it once. Is there any reason to go to the future? You don't have to finish there for it to count as a good future.

Going to the future just adds more in regards to exploration. I've gone back (through the level select) and messed around with some of the future levels myself to see how different they are. It's still a neat concept even if not necessary.

That and I actually prefer some of the Future music (particularly Bad Future over the Good Future (there's some great songs/remixes!)

Sonic CD is probably the most underrated of all the "classic" Sonic games. Praised by the fans who have played it, and often misunderstood by those who jump in for a quick playthrough. Sonic Team did something completely different after the original Sonic The Hedgehog (1990), and Sonic The Hedgehog 2 (1992), as a result, Sonic CD is often considered the black sheep of the bunch. Personally, I think it's great. The time travel concept is really unique for a game of this type. I love the idea of going into the past in order to change the future. And on top of that, you can even go into the future to see what the world will look like if you change it (or don't change it). It's understandable that one might be let down by Sonic CD, especially if jumping in with great expectations of something similair to the rest of the series, but as I've told all my friends: give it a proper chance before you judge it. Most ended up loving it after a couple of playthroughs, and some changed their opinion to at least saying it's an OK Sonic game. This is of course all based on my personal opinion. Like I said, this game isn't for everyone, but you should at least give it a proper playthrough ;)

Edited by 8BitSoul

I have a feeling OP enjoyed the newer Sonic games....

I love the newer Sonic games , i like them a million times more then the older games . I even love the 2006 Sonic the Hedgehog , once you get used to it it becomes really enjoyable . In my opinion the only reason the newer Sonic games are not as loved as the older ones is because people just can't move on .

Nope, most newer Sonic games have been awful. They've had their good bits but from Sonic Heroes to Sonic 4 was a massive dip in quality. Colours and Generations are steps in the right directions though.

But then if you love Sonic 06 then it's not the Sonic games that're the problem.

Nope, most newer Sonic games have been awful. They've had their good bits but from Sonic Heroes to Sonic 4 was a massive dip in quality. Colours and Generations are steps in the right directions though.

Agreed! The fact that Generations actually incorporated what made the classic games great in the first place while still making "speed" parts enjoyable, easily making it my favourite 3D Sonic game (not to mention the least frustrating or tedious of the bunch). Not to mention the fact that it was FAR less buggy than some of the other games. Not perfect but some great moments.

In my opinion the only reason the newer Sonic games are not as loved as the older ones is because people just can't move on .

A lot of the 3D games are riddled with bugs and lack some of the more quality gameplay aspects of the older games (such as good level design or levels designed to take advantage of great physics). I also hate that there are so many scripted moments or moments that are taken out of the players hands as well as there being too much of a need for freakin' "SPEED Boosters" and gimmick moments.

Seriously, the single best example of all that is the "whale chase" scene in Emerald Coast (SADX). The whole sequence relies on speed boosters (rather than good physics and level design) and the silly thing is you can STILL manage to fall to your death sometimes.

So can people have an opinion around here without getting insulted or deemed mentally incapable? I'm a life-long Sonic fan, with Sonic 2 being my favorite game of all time (not just within the Sonic franchise), but I loved Sonic 06. It had some noticeable control issues but they were hardly game-breaking; to counteract that the game had a top-notch story and plot progression, amazing visuals, and level design that was genuinely 3D Sonic.

===

On the topic of Sonic CD, I can kind of understand how one can be disappointed if they hadn't played Sonic CD before, but some of the criticisms are a bit harsh. The gameplay is a lot smoother than Sonic 1 (arguably my least favorite Sonic game), and to call it a waste of 400 MSP is blatant overreaction.

I don't find the time mechanics confusing at all tbh, doesn't take long to figure out just how it works, and the "Good Future" aspect of the game is something that can be figured out with enough time. (Honestly there's no excuse to be confused in the Internet-era, just look it up). Then again I much preferred more complicated entries in series like Super Mario Sunshine and Banjo-Tooie, so this might just be me.

And what's wrong with the achievements exactly? The fact that the game takes more than 30 minutes to complete? I'm loving the challenge that they bring, felt the quicksaving just completely ruined the Genesis ports.

So can people have an opinion around here without getting insulted or deemed mentally incapable? I'm a life-long Sonic fan, with Sonic 2 being my favorite game of all time (not just within the Sonic franchise), but I loved Sonic 06. It had some noticeable control issues but they were hardly game-breaking; to counteract that the game had a top-notch story and plot progression, amazing visuals, and level design that was genuinely 3D Sonic.

===

On the topic of Sonic CD, I can kind of understand how one can be disappointed if they hadn't played Sonic CD before, but some of the criticisms are a bit harsh. The gameplay is a lot smoother than Sonic 1 (arguably my least favorite Sonic game), and to call it a waste of 400 MSP is blatant overreaction.

I don't find the time mechanics confusing at all tbh, doesn't take long to figure out just how it works, and the "Good Future" aspect of the game is something that can be figured out with enough time. (Honestly there's no excuse to be confused in the Internet-era, just look it up). Then again I much preferred more complicated entries in series like Super Mario Sunshine and Banjo-Tooie, so this might just be me.

And what's wrong with the achievements exactly? The fact that the game takes more than 30 minutes to complete? I'm loving the challenge that they bring, felt the quicksaving just completely ruined the Genesis ports.

you seriously took the words right out of my mouth. i think people hate on sonic 06 because its fashionable to do so. having played some TERRIBLE games, its easy for me to see that it could have been a lot worse. i don't know if i'd call the story work top notch though...

sonic cd is my favorite (sonic 1 being my least). i have so many pleasant memories of this game and the re-release hasn't disappointed me at all. 400 points make it a steal. perhaps the design is not for everyone. the game rewards exploration and since every level has 4 variants to visit, there is a lot to see. though being able to change the past to effect the future is by no means done by today's standards, it blew my mind when i was a kid.

this wasn't the only gem hiding in the sega cd catastrophe. hopefully they will unearth a few more... dark wizard anyone?

I also loved the story , next to Sonic Adventure 2 it was my favorite of the lot . I also completely agree about the visuals and level design , they are great . For me the only problem i had with the game ( and it's not even that big of a problem for me ) was the town missions , i really think they could of left that part out of the game .

Back to Sonic CD , this is the first time i have played this game and it really is for me the best of the Retro Sonic games . I love the Past and Future stuff , it adds something a little different to the game . What i really like about the game is all the little short-cuts you can find on each level , i was looking at some videos of the time attack levels............some people really studied this game to death , if there was short-cut they would find it :D

The only bad thing I have to say about this so far is that it's horribly converted for consoles as far as menus and button presses. Things like you can't use the B button to go back out of the pause menu, how the time attack menu is on the exit button by default, and more importantly how you can't restart a time attack from within the menu. It's very minor gripes, but they just make you mess around with loading screens and the main menu more than you should have to.

Everything else is stellar though. The engine is flawless and is so smooth.

I'm going to have to figure that the majority of the fanfare for this game is coming from nostalgia. As someone who awaited the release of this game for the fact that I hadn't played it before, I'm finding myself really disappointed so far.

Not to mention the fact that the achievements for this are trolling at best. Having went through and watched a handful of videos, it's blatantly obvious that they deliberately tweaked the Metal Sonic section to make that achievement frustrating.

The first Sonic game on the Megadrive was one of the first games I ever played, which subsequently turned me into a Sonic fan (I own all the XBLA releases).

I never got around to playing Sonic CD properly, thanks to the Mega CD being expensive and then me moving onto the PS1 and N64. So, I jumped at the chance to get the XBLA version, and have LOVED it. Once you get your head around the time travelling business and level design, the game is pure fun to play.

I'm going to have to figure that the majority of the fanfare for this game is coming from nostalgia. As someone who awaited the release of this game for the fact that I hadn't played it before, I'm finding myself really disappointed so far.

Not to mention the fact that the achievements for this are trolling at best. Having went through and watched a handful of videos, it's blatantly obvious that they deliberately tweaked the Metal Sonic section to make that achievement frustrating.

This was the first time i played this game and i loved it , also the Metal Sonic Achievement isn't that hard , it only takes about 5 tries to get used to it . I don't really see how people can complain about the Achievements being to hard in this game , 2 playthroughs and i had every Achievement .

This is by far my favourite sonic game. The fact that there is the choice to pick the US or Japanese soundtrack is awesome amongst other features.Whilst the whole purpose of the game is something that may take time to get used to it's really not too taxing to the brain.

Start level - Hit past sign + enter the past - destroy the 2 machines and complete the level. That's all it basically is.