Kit-103

Hey all. First post and yes, I actually did search but found nothing.

Anyways, I'm sure we all know the requirements to unlock Carter's helmet. In fact, I'm sure some of you have already done it by playing a co-op game and letting them do the work (lazy bums =P). But there is an easier way to earn this award.

Start Winter Contingency and play through it like you normally would, very carefully lol. Now, let's say you do something stupid or the enemies get lucky, don't fret. Just save, exit and restart the mission.

Yes that's right, your death count resets every time you start a new game (duh), no matter where you saved at. So the sword elite kills you? Back out and start at the last check-point. Yes, the award will unlock no matter where the check-point places you. It's how I got mine.

Tl;dr: If you die, just save, exit and try again. It worked for me and a friend and we weren't expecting it to work that way.

If video proof of the method is needed, I'm more then willing to supply the video if you give me a day or two. Also sorry if this was posted and I didn't see it. I just thought I would share this awesome discovery... >>'

so why not play like usual, including dieing, then only end (save) and resume once right before the end?

My guess is that the game holds your death count in memory, and writes it out at checkpoints; if you save and quit after dying you commit your last checkpoint, (assumably) with no deaths, and loading it means you restart the session from there, and have effectively reset the count.

So if you died and just continued on directly, to the next checkpoint, the death would be recorded. Save/resuming only at the end would reset only the deaths since your most recent checkpoint, not all the ones before.

Of course, I could be completely wrong...

wasn't to hard only rough part was with the zealots charging me, after that i could hang back and snipe with a pistol or battle rifle. the guy with the sword at the end if you stay well back hell stay after jorge, but u will need to shoot him to pull him to him. rest of the level was simple, you can also use the jeep to drive past the 2 based and finish it quicker you don't have to kill the bases.

I got mine today (wearing it now). Some helpful tips:

-Almost all the battles can be skipped. Yes, just run past the Elites (hug a wall or cliff edge. They mostly won't notice you so long as they're fighting other A.I), drive past the two bases and head straight to where the marines are.

-Let your fellow Spartans do most of the job. They're invulnerable (though you'll have to help them in killing the Covenant, since they can't seem to kill anything to save their lives)

-The only foe capable of stealing this award from you is that Elite Zealot with the sword at the very end of the mission. Simply use an overcharged plasma pistol burst to strip his shields and finish him off with a pistol/DMR etc.

Simple enough. Now to get those Killtacular and Bulltrue medals...

so why not play like usual, including dieing, then only end (save) and resume once right before the end?

Yeah, that works too. Friend got his doing the third mission and died plenty before deciding to take a break then try again later. He was of course, near the end of the mission when he restarted.

-The only foe capable of stealing this award from you is that Elite Zealot with the sword at the very end of the mission. Simply use an overcharged plasma pistol burst to strip his shields and finish him off with a pistol/DMR etc.

Pretty much this right here. An overcharged plasma pistol and a head-shot capable weapon (DMR, pistol, Needle Rifle) will become your best friends, not only in this level, but through the rest of the campaign on solo Legendary.

Of course, there will be tough sections but if you move quickly yet cautiously and avoid the battles that can be avoided, then you'll do just fine.

Yeah, that works too. Friend got his doing the third mission and died plenty before deciding to take a break then try again later. He was of course, near the end of the mission when he restarted.

Interesting, so much for my theory. Surprisingly simplistic death tracking system them. Guess Bungie's programmers had better things to do :p

So you can die as many times as you want as long as you quit?

Yup. I can confirm this works! It was the last award I needed; I now have all 5!

If you die, simply SAVE AND QUIT and then from the menu, hit "CONTINUE CAMPAIGN SOLO"

It doesn't matter how many times you died, you will get the award!

:drunk

I completed Winter Contingency without dying, yet for some reason the avatar award did not unlock.
I'm pretty sure reverting to last save counts as a death to the game. Not in terms of actual deaths, but no avatar award or flawless cowboy commendation.

Also, I am sad that there is a glitch to get this.

I'm pretty sure reverting to last save counts as a death to the game. Not in terms of actual deaths, but no avatar award or flawless cowboy commendation.

Also, I am sad that there is a glitch to get this.

LOL why are you sad? It's not exactly a badge of honour. I got it on my first run through the level solo. And I'm a very average halo player (possibly below average seeing as i took 20 hours for the campaign where other take half that time)