does anyone else feel this is the best RPG so far

ronaldkrueger77yahoo.com

• 1 month later...

To start, I will say that I have enjoyed this game. I respect what they were trying to do with it. I don't feel like they quite executed it fully, but... I pretty much love all JRPGs though. I wouldn't put this game in the same category as Fallout or Oblivion though. They are two different categories of game.

I would say that this is better than FF13, but I think Infinite Undiscovery was more fun to play. None of them had a good story though, which seems to be Square's short coming in recent years(surprisingly).

So far, on the 360, I would say that Mistwalker's RPGs are the best. Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey, while having their shortcomings, were both great games with good stories. They were fun and solid. People argue that they didn't try anything new or revolutionary, but I would attribute that to the success.

Another really good RPG on the 360 is Tales of Vesperia. It had a very unique art style and the gameplay was fun and involved. Not an amazing story, but definitely better than the square games.

• 1 month later...

Last Remnant sucks. I was trying to play through it just for the sake of beating it but I just can't stomach it anymore. The whole game felt like a roll of the dice to me. Maybe you'll get the commands you want or maybe you'll just get bent over and rammed into the game over screen.

Nest of Eagles in just one example I can give. I spend 20 minutes killing all but one of the bosses thinking it's going well, then he uses overdrive which apparently allows him to attack five times consecutively against each of my unions effectively killing me in less than thirty seconds. Oh yeah, all my unions had full health when I attacked him. Tell me how that is fair. I beat him on my next attempt when I realized his overdrive only lasts one turn and to just standby until it's over but how the hell are you supposed to know that going in.

I also hated the leveling system. Who thought it was a good idea to force gamers to avoid battles as much as possible in an rpg just so they would stand a decent chance against later bosses. This prevented me from trying to level my guys weapons just to keep my battle rank low. I probably would have liked this game a lot more if units fought, gained experience, and leveled up just like all the other great rpg games.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a huge fan of all JRPGs. My favorite game is Person 3 so you can tell my background in RPGs. I LOVED Last Remnant. It tries to bring something new and exciting to an otherwise stagnate genre. To those that say the story is sub par, I would like to ask about the story of any current day Western RPG(Fallout 3, Mass Effect, Dragon Age), their stories cann't not even begin to compare to this game.

Most of the game-play bugs are fixed in the PC version, along with the load times. The Last Rement definitely takes its place among my faviorte games probly right behind Persona, Tales, and Lost Odyssey.

@Aronsky also that's not how the battle system works at all, just the people on this site have no idea at how the system works at all

Easily one of the best 360 games you can buy in my opinion. Story was quite good i thought, kept me interested anyway. The whole combat system was very innovative and refreshing and I never once got annoyed with loading times (even though everyone else seems to complain about them). Only con for me was the fact that the levelling system is counter-intuitive, i.e you would think that fighting more and gaining really high battle chains would be rewarded but it is the complete opposite. Still prob in my top 3 favourite 360 games.

I like the idea of the battle system, but the broken level-up system kills the game for me. I don't see how it is possible to do all the side quests while powering up your characters because I simply cannot even survive the bosses of side quests due to the 'avoid all fighting' mentality of the game. Keep everything else the same but let me actually get stronger by fighting and its gold. As is, I had a good four or five hours with it, but being unable to be side quests has made me take the game out and i don't think I'll be going back to it anytime soon.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm a huge fan of all JRPGs. My favorite game is Person 3 so you can tell my background in RPGs. I LOVED Last Remnant. It tries to bring something new and exciting to an otherwise stagnate genre. To those that say the story is sub par, I would like to ask about the story of any current day Western RPG(Fallout 3, Mass Effect, Dragon Age), their stories cann't not even begin to compare to this game.

Most of the game-play bugs are fixed in the PC version, along with the load times. The Last Rement definitely takes its place among my faviorte games probly right behind Persona, Tales, and Lost Odyssey.

@Aronsky also that's not how the battle system works at all, just the people on this site have no idea at how the system works at all

Mass Effect and Dragon Age both have stories leaps and bounds above that of The Last Remnant.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I love this game most of all.:) It was my first JRPG. Firstly I'd play TLR on PC, and that's why I bought xbox360 console. I totaly complited the game 5 times (all quest's, all guild task's and etc.). Soon I'll play it on my console.:)

If anyone says that the game has bad battle system, he just have not high enought IQ to understand it.:p To the disk 2 on my first playthrough I understood how to influence on conditions and get battle commands I need. The gameplay is uniq, thats why most of people don't understand it.

I'd liked the Last Remnant exactly due to it uniqueness.

I'm so sad that TLR had been sold so bad, and Square decided not to do TLR2:(

• 3 weeks later...

I've not managed to finish Last Remnant yet - the leveling system confused me so much that I kind of gave up at the beginning of disc two. It's never fully explained about the BRs and how to level up stats etc, which always irks me in a game. How am I supposed to do well if even the manual doesn't fully explain how it works? Plus, it involves a lot of maths, which puts lots of people, me included, off.

The story was interesting and I liked most of the characters, but it's far from the best RPG out there. Though I'll agree with you - it's better than FFXIII.

I feel that LAST REMNANT is by far the best rpg so far. even final fantasy 13 or infinite undiscovery dont measure up. anyone else have any thoughts?

I'm not sure about the best RPG so far. I don't like to compare Western RPG to JRPG. Last Remenat was a very good JRPG, out of all the JRPG I've played so far I would say Lost Odyssey is the best one for me.

I'm currently playing Star Ocean and I haven't played Tales of Vesperia yet.

• 1 month later...

Tales of Vesperia was awesome. I spent entirely too much time in that game. There are a few irritating moments with how the characters act in the game, but it's not too bad compared to other current jRPGs. I tried to like Lost Odyssey; I really did. I don't think I made it into disc 2, though.

Tales of Vesperia was awesome. I spent entirely too much time in that game. There are a few irritating moments with how the characters act in the game, but it's not too bad compared to other current jRPGs. I tried to like Lost Odyssey; I really did. I don't think I made it into disc 2, though.

Looking for to Tales of Vesperia, as soon as I'm finish grinding through Star Ocean...

No problem on Lost Odyssey, there's not a single game out there that every single person will like, so just enjoy the ones you do and don't worry about the rest.

I loved this one I played it once messing up and linking everything even stat rasing in Ar didnt help I was level 110 and couldnt even beat base one so I put it away for like a year I had so many other games to play lol. Just came back to it and started anew but when I got to the end and heard what Rush said to the Con I was like " Hell I am I am done " lol. I havent played Vesperia but I loved Lost odessy and I also liked enchated arms . Star Ocean was a good one but got alittle bored towards the end I need to go back and work alittle on that one. Any one play Record of Agarest War?

I loved this one I played it once messing up and linking everything even stat rasing in Ar didnt help I was level 110 and couldnt even beat base one so I put it away for like a year I had so many other games to play lol. Just came back to it and started anew but when I got to the end and heard what Rush said to the Con I was like " Hell I am I am done " lol. I havent played Vesperia but I loved Lost odessy and I also liked enchated arms . Star Ocean was a good one but got alittle bored towards the end I need to go back and work alittle on that one. Any one play Record of Agarest War?

I haven't yet but it's on my list to buy. I'm now working on the achievements for Star Ocean and I like Last Remnant more.

I bought it when it first came out over 3 years ago. I started playing and felt overwhelmed by it. It was definitely not your average RPG.

I put it away and just recently started playing it again and I'm seriously hooked. With all the info out there now, it's definitely a much more enjoyable game.

I hadn't enjoyed a SaGa game since Final Fantasy Legend 2 for Gameboy. But this was really enjoyable from beginning to end. I even chained monsters throughout the game and was still able to beat all of the quests (with a bit of extra grinding in the Ancient Ruins mind you).

I like Star Ocean 4 better, but this was definitely a blast.

Yup, while it is very important to avoid the majority of battles (mainly outside of storyline battles) it's not going to hurt if you get into an occasional battle from time to time. It has been mentioned in many stat grinding guides that this is fine.

I am a huge RPG fanatic!! :) Love 'em.

So far, my personal hearthrob this gen is Lost Odyssey because of those memories. I think I sobbed for 9/10 of them. Very touching stories, that also added layers to Kaim's character. Only feature I did not like was random encounter, booo ;(

Star Ocean had too many friendship speeches for me. I immediately thought of Tea (don't know how to do the accent on her name) from the Yu-Gi-Oh abridged series whenever Reimi came on screen. Not a bad game, enjoyed most of the characters.