Which game from The Elder Scrolls series has been your favorite?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Which game from The Elder Scrolls series has been your favorite?

• Skyrim
    • Oblivion
    • Morrowind
    • Daggerfall
    • Arena
    • Skyrim is the first Elder Scrolls game I've played.

Hi all,

I'm simply curious, for those of you who have played previous games in The Elder Scrolls series, how does Skyrim rank among them? Of course, Skyrim has the advantage with it's modern graphics and such, but I'm interested in getting to the finer points of what makes a game a classic and a personal favorite. Consider all sorts of elements: combat and levelling systems, storyline, factions, environments, music, nostalgic touches, etc.

In my case, what prompted me to get an Xbox 360 in the first place was an advertisement I saw for Oblivion. I hadn't even owned an original Xbox yet at the time, but RPG's had long been my favorite genre and despite knowing little about it I could tell Oblivion was going to be a top-notch title. That Christmas, my parents were unable to find a 360 for me, so I got an original Xbox instead. I ended up picking up a copy of Morrowind, and to this day it is one of my all-time favorite games. The dungeons types are some of the most memorable, from the dwemer ruins and dunmer strongholds to those creepy, odd-angled daedric ruins. I've often thought that one of the aspects that sets Morrowind apart are the exotic enviroments and cultures. I could go on and on, but even today the slightly dated gameplay is as satisfying as ever and brings back tons of unique memories.

Any thoughts and added discussion would be much appreciated. I'm particularly interested in hearing from those who've played the first two TES games (unfortunately those are a bit before my time, but I plan on getting to them eventually). :)

TES Morrowind. I lost my TES cherry to it, so it holds a special place in my heart forever!

I broke down and bought an Xbox after a all-night session on Halo with a buddy. Looking for an RPG to justify owning the box, I saw a used copy of Morrowind and something about it looked awesome! I took a chance, loaded it up, and was blown away at how much detail went into just allowing me to create my character. I'll always remember arriving on the island, stepping thru that gate.... and doing everything BUT the main story for months.

Even though now, after Skyrim, many look back and downtalk Oblivion for many reasons. I've never liked Oblivion, really. Mostly because it was nothing even close to what Morrowind was. Morrowind was dark, gritty. It's definitly dated compared to later titles, but it had a lot more going for it. I liked the enchanting system, as it was way more flexible and varied. I was able to enchant up a crazy gearset that allowed full-time waterbreathing, night vision, 100% invisibility, among other features.

I agree with you on how great the locale was. I loved everything from the little fisher towns, to the various ruins. The grand Imperial City, to the Great Red Mountain. I enjoyed exploring every nook and cranny, just to try to fill in my paper map as I played. Fast travel wasn't an option in that game, you started by taking Silt Striders between major towns. I then joined the Mages Guild with the primary goal of exploiting their teleportation system. Then I learned how to "fly".

I enjoyed learning about the 5 great houses. Running across a random Daedric statue, only to have it's booming voice command me to do its bidding. Learning to stay away from the dust storms of the Red Mountain, and it's hideous, faceless zombies. Walking through the woods, and finding the occasional Barbarian, who's been seduced, robbed, and subsequently turned into a tree. Hell, one of my best experiences happened near my beginning: walking through the woods, a guy falls from the sky, BOOM, dead. I loot his body, and find some potions and a journal about how he created a super-jump potion, and was perfecting it. But maybe he should work on something for landing. I guess he didn't get that far!

I guess what I'm getting at is that Oblivion (and Skyrim) streamlined the experience quite a bit. If that's good or bad, is opinion, but I liked having to do more in my game. It's what made it seem impossibly big. Ability to wear clothes, under (AND over) armor. Multiple pieces made up an armor set, for example, Paldrons (shoulders). I remember hunting all over trying to complete my Daedric set. The spell to levitate, which combined with my high speed from athletics, I was able to "fly" across the map! Hows that for fast travel? Or the spell to exit a dungeon to the safety of a town, and then return right back to the same spot (made for better looting when over-encumbered).

I don't know anything really about the first 2, and I don't know if I'll ever go back to play them (Tried to play the older Fallouts, out of respect, couldn't stick with it). Skyrim is an awesome game on its own merits, so I don't like to compare it to my Morrowind.

Edited by LordDVS

Easily TES Oblivion. It's my favourite since although it does give you a class system, you aren't bound to it. The world is familiar to me, yet I'm always finding secrets, and the game as a whole is a lot of fun. Also there are some mods which even though do the smallest of things, like change the windows to a slight yellow during the night, or even just adding church bells enriches the experience so much. Of course sadly the game levelled up with you, making it less fun.

Skyrim is great but the world is unfamiliar to me, also it's a little bit forgiving where Oblivion wasn't. You can get yourself over encumbered and just walk to a shop to gain riches, even though they make bartering a little more critical by giving vendors a set amount of finite gold, compared to Oblivion where they seem to have a limitless supply, but can't make a transaction of so much. I'm also not a fan of the perk system, as it basically sets your class, you just create it first.

Morrowind is awesome, but again I'm unfamiliar with the world, which will make for great gameplay when it's time for me to travel back.

I'm not a fan of Arena or Daggerfall, mostly because I can't get either to function properly.

• 3 weeks later...

I've played 4 TES so far, daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim. (Never finished Daggerfall though)

It's pretty much a tie between Morrowind and Skyrim, It might be nostalgia talking though but when I finished Morrowind, I felt like I had accomplished something special, not so much in Skyrim, the main quests and the factions quests can be done so fast.

But the world of Skyrim is really great though!

Skyrim is technically the second TES game I have played, with Oblivion being the first. But probably didn't even put 10+ hours into. Skyrim, I still use my one character which has over 150 hours. Not much compared to some, but I think the RPG I have spent the most time with for sure.

Unfortunately I never got to play Arena, Daggerfall, or Morrowind. Oblivion was the first TES I played. I enjoyed it immensely. But Skyrim is far better. The size of the world, the cool NPCs, beautiful environments, and cool faction quest lines make it an amazing RPG. I really enjoy doing the Daedric, Dark Brotherhood, and Mages Guild quest lines. The Thieves Guild and Companions are also really fun. The Dawnguard DLC was fantastic since I got to become a badass vampire lord. :woop:

One of the best things about Skyrim is just wondering around the vast world exploring different areas. I've spent so much time just journeying up mountains to kill dragons and exploring new dungeons. I've already put over 300 hours into it. And with new DLC coming out, I know I'll put a lot more. :)

Edited by BloodGodAlucard

I know it gets a lot of stick for it, but I'd have to say Skyrim may be my favourite, purely for it's feeling that it's 'easier' to jump into and play, unlike what I felt from the previous ones (or previous one, as will be touched up on).

Morrowind was my first Elder Scrolls game. My younger brother got it on the original Xbox and I was blown away at everything it done. LordDVS pretty much says everything I have to say about it. To this day, that falling mage is still in my head. I loved the game so much, I bought it for the PC, GOTY edition if I remember rightly. Never completed the main quest, don't remember doing much in it at all to be honest. I was constantly starting new characters all the time.

I bought Oblivion for the PS3. And then again for the PC (again, the edition with all the DLC, though I think minus Shivering Isles). But I didn't actually ever start that, not once. I don't know why, not even till this day. I have been tempted to get it countless times for the 360, but never got round to it. Now that I have Skyrim however, I don't think I ever will.

Morrowind still has more hours clocked than Skyrim does, but I can imagine it'll become very close, when all DLC is released. I intend to see this one through. :p

I love all 3 that i played(from morro to sky)

They all have there own best part

I love the customization that is more developed in general in skyrim and the snow environements

Overall in term of main quest Oblivion was the best for me, nicely develop and hook me in most. I also think Skyrim's questline lack compare to morro and oblivion.. The college and companions compared to the fighter and mages guild where not on part.... The thieves where better cause of rebuilding the ratway, and the brotherhood is probably on par with oblivion. But the civil war was pretty dull and personally i wish there would had been a definitive good and bad side, or allow us to simply destroy them both and become hight king ourselves... Cause i may have been a stormcloack...overall i think Ulfric is a power hungry douche bag, and the legion just followed order... so well... I miss the Arena as well, it was awesome.

As for Morro, well it will keep a special touch for me cause it was my first game, loved you could make the armor of your dream totally, you could fly also, and it piss me off that you can't kill everybody in skyrim or oblivion.... sure sure it could screw your quest, but why not have the NPC still have the symbol, you knock them down, but then you can execute them if you want in the end... There not even killable when they become useless.. I loved that in Morro i could kill the crooked hight king.

So the best game for me would be the customization of skyrim in term of armor creating and such, houses, with its more developed gameplay, but with the enchanting of morrowind, and its kill everybody policy, but with quest lines just as good as Oblivion.

I've only played Oblivion and Skyrim.

So I'd pick Skyrim just because of how borked the leveling system in Oblivion was. Unless you were careful about how you leveled you were actually punished for leveling. And if you knew what you were doing you could make an ridiculously overpowered level 1 character. Not a smart leveling system.

Side Note: My brother has played pretty much all the TES games and he would probably pick Morrowind.

So far I've only really played Oblivion and Skyrim. I like Skyrim better of the two. I think I played a little bit of Morrowind at a friend's house before, but that was forever ago and I don't remember much about it now. I'd like to try the other games at some point, but I don't know when. Gotta have the money to buy them and then find somebody selling them.

• 2 months later...

I haven't played Daggerfall yet, I was going to play Arena, but stopped in the first dungeon because... well DOSBox sucks. Skyrim is good, but it doesn't top the moments I had in Morrowind, and even though Skyrim has improvements, Bethesda has been downgrading elements of gameplay and interaction with each sequel (while adding others). General consensus though is Daggerfall/Morrowind are the best, with Skyrim behind it with Oblivion and Arena behind simply because of mediocrity.

No love for Arena or Daggerfall here. I am surprised that Morrowind isn't ahead in the poll either.

I voted for Oblivion as it was the first RPG I ever played. I had not long bought my Xbox and saw the advert on the TV. So I went out and bought it. Took me a while to get used to it, but I spent 300 hours on my very first playthrough, and enjoyed every minute. Skyrim just doesn't have the same diverse environment. I appreciate its a snowy and ice ridden habitat, but its just not the same in that respect. I also like the fact that Oblivion has a mmuch more diverse enemmy types. No more goblins, minotaurs, wilo wisps lurking about. Skyrim just seems to be copying real life with bears, wolves running amok. Not much in the way of fantasy creatures apart from mammoths and giants.