Russia to hold 2018 World Cup

Nozza

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will bet any of you that the reason Qatar got the world cup is to do with a very influential Qatari called Mohammed bin Hammam.

Here's a real humanist quote from the guy, in case any of you are interested:

"The night before [me and Sepp Blatter] travelled [to support his 1998 bid for FIFA President] I recieved a frantic call from my wife with the shocking sad news that my son aged 22 years had met with a very serious accident and was fighting for his life and his condition was more towards death and was lying in the intensive care unit in a coma. I should immediately return to Doha. I regretted and apologised to my wife, and told her that my son doesn't need me but needs the blessing of God and help of doctors while it is Mr. Blatter who is in need of my help now. So I sacrificed seeing my son maybe for the last time."*

It's also possible that Qatar paid for Blatter's expenses for his 1998 campaign.**

*Mohammed bin Hammam, quoted in, A. Jennings, Foul: The Secret World of FIFA: Bribes, Vote Rigging and Ticket Scandals (London: Harper Sport 2006) p. 84

**Ibid., p.85

This is who he is according to FIFA:

http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/federation/bodies/members/people=36377.html

The whole thing , absaloutely stinks

It's quite ridiculous but this is the way the world is run now.

The UK is nothing, we can't offer anything even though we have the most popular football league in the world.

I suppose Russia is capable of hosting a tournament but Qatar certainly isn't. Are they even interested in football? At least the Americans are trying!

The World Cup is corrupt as hell now anyway. I'm still pissed they never acknowledged Gerrard's goal against Germany.

11. The Qatar police will shoot someone in a apanic because they are not properley trained to break up a Polish German confrontation on the streets (add any 2 nations that hate each other here)

I lol'd. But it's true Qatar does seem to have a fair few problems with hosting the world cup.

What an absaloute farce

for Qatar to get 2022 is bloody stupid. They have to build EVERY stadium, and there is a population of just 1.6M people, how can they expect to accomodate over 1M tourists a month!

Pretty much something they do every month?

Having been there I can tell you that the stadiums will not be an issue, they have some of the best architectural structures I've ever seen in that country and more than enough money.

English People = Sour Sour Grapes.

Well, while it may be true that FIFA is incredibly corrupt and that the voters may be willing to line their own pockets we now know one thing: They are completely unconcerned with actually making money on the whole.

Seriously, I don't think there is a single quality economist in the world who isn't 100% sure that the most profitable Cup locations would be England (though the Spain/Portugal bid wouldn't have been far off) and the USA. The 1994 Cup in the USA is still the most financially succesful Cup in history and outside of South Africa more tickets were sold in the USA for the 2010 Cup then in any country. England has the stadiums ready, the infrastructure to accomodate the added tourism and a passion for the sport nearly unmatched anywhere in the world.

I mean I can see FIFAs arguement about giving Cups to certain regions to try to spark interest for the sport in that region but at what point is LOSING BILLIONS and having incredibly poorly run Cups enough for them to actually put the Cup somewhere financially logical. They argue that bringing these Cups to places like South Africa and Qatar improve that countries economy...Tell me...How many of the stadiums built for SA 2010 are actually being used right now? FEW TO NONE. South Africa took a financial bath on the Cup and Rugby is still the most financially succesful spectator sport in the country.

Edited by bigbear.

The qatar decision is appaing, these are the reasons why i think that

6. European women fans will suffer the evil eye because of their dress

7. Referees will be bent as hell like those that succumbed to temptation in Japan & Korea, either by veiled threats or barrowloads of cash

8. The most boring venue ever for a world cup, can you imagine saying "there wasn't a game that day so we went sightseeing"

9. If someone scores against Qatar some rich arab will come down from the stands and stop the game till the goal is disallowed (remember 1982)

6. Qatar is one of the most well known world tourist spots...sure the woman always wear a fucking burka.

7. No point saying anything here, racially fuelled.

8. You haven't fucking been there, in terms of sightseeing it's a 1000 times better than England...where you have already seen every fucking sight before you've shown up.

9. Go fuck yourself

"I am not racist but think it true that the words Arab and World Cup host do not fit in the same sentence comfortably"

You can't say "I'm not racist" and then make a completely racist comment, that's redundant.

It's basically a perfect WC venue and I'm sorry Nick Griffin if you don't like it but that's the way it is.

In a week where WikiLeaks have outed Russia as an almost 100% Mafia ran country you say "good luck Ruskis" ...sort it out.

You can't say "I'm not racist" and then make a completely racist comment, that's redundant.

It's basically a perfect WC venue and I'm sorry Nick Griffin if you don't like it but that's the way it is.

While I agree that the poster you quoted was being racist these two statements are incredibly ignorant. First of all that is not what redundant means. Second of all Qatar is NOT a perfect WC venue anyone with even a basic understanding of Global economics or Politics knows that.

Out of all the countries involved with the process for BOTH bids Qatar was below the Korea Republic as the WORST POSSIBLE CHOICE. While I don't think Russia was the best choice it is by no means a bad choice. In fact as far as the 2018 bids were concernced there were no "bad" choices. However, it is an absolute joke and OBVIOUS sign of corruption that neither the USA nor Australia won the 2022 Cup (I leave Japan out only because it hosted more recently then any other country involved in the bidding).

Edited by bigbear.

While I agree that the poster you quoted was being racist these two statements are incredibly ignorant. First of all that is not what redundant means. Second of all Qatar is NOT a perfect WC venue anyone with even a basic understanding of Global economics or Politics knows that. Out of all the countries involved with the process for BOTH bids Qatar was tied with the Korea Republic as the WORST POSSIBLE CHOICE.

I was not speaking of the economical advantages in the slightest. As a fan of the sport itself and the general harmony of the world cup, it's a non-issue.

I was not speaking of the economical advantages in the slightest. As a fan of the sport itself and the general harmony of the world cup, it's a non-issue.

Except that when picking the location of a GLOBAL EVENT you absolutely have to consider both the economic and political ramifications. Economically Qatar makes very little sense and politically they are situated in an area of the World that does not get along with most of the rest of the world. Either people won't travel there because of fears/prejudices or if they do there will be massive tension that could result in a very regretable violent event occuring.

Either people won't travel there because of fears/prejudices or if they do there will be massive tension that could result in a very regretable violent event occuring.

What of previous World Cups in South Africa, Brazil, Korea, Mexico etc...

And if anything they are at their highest level of danger in England tbh.

What of previous World Cups in South Africa, Brazil, Korea, Mexico etc...

And if anything they are at their highest level of danger in England tbh.

I am not talking about terrorism. I never bought into the ideas that South Africa 2010 would be a likely terrorist target. Terrorists are crazy, not stupid and they stand to gain nothing and lose everything by attacking such a high profile global event. They would lose any political allies they may have and become hated worldwide even more then they already are. It just makes no sense.

I mean that, in a country like Qatar, there will be much higher tension and even the slightest trigger could set off massive riots or worse. English and German football fans may not like each other, other fans may not get along with each other very well but in most countries there are little to no societal or religious differences to fan the flames. In Qatar there will be.

I understand that you've been to Qatar and yes it is a popular and successful tourist location. However, the World Cup is incredibly different then your typical tourist season. The pure number of people and the vast differences between cultures can be very volatile and creating that kind of powder keg in an area of the World already on the verge of exploding is a very very bad idea.

Edited by bigbear.

6. Qatar is one of the most well known world tourist spots...sure the woman always wear a fucking burka.

7. No point saying anything here, racially fuelled.

8. You haven't fucking been there, in terms of sightseeing it's a 1000 times better than England...where you have already seen every fucking sight before you've shown up.

9. Go fuck yourself

"I am not racist but think it true that the words Arab and World Cup host do not fit in the same sentence comfortably"

In a week where WikiLeaks have outed Russia as an almost 100% Mafia ran country you say "good luck Ruskis" ...sort it out.

How many times do you want to use the F-Word at me ? keyboard gangstar

your such a dumbass in that post i already stated it wasn't by me "a great little read elsewhere.. (Not by me)"

So get off your high horse, Clown.

England weren't even bidding for the 2022 World Cup so I don't know how they have sour grapes that Qatar got it.

Exactly. I'm sad for the sake of the sporting event.

A competition in either Australia or the USA would have been exceptional, imo. Both countries in which the sport is getting more and more popular. Both countries with acceptable climates. Both countries with the ability to host a successful tournament, in terms of money, population, transport links and so on.

Oh, and both countries where alcohol and homosexuality are legal!

Instead, one world cup's going to the European capital of footballing racism (FIFA and their anti-racism campaigns: hypocrisy, much?) and as I've said before, a country where homosexuality is deemed a serious crime.

But in terms of the spectacle, I've faith Russia will be good. Qatar... well if that tiny dessert can produce a good world cup, I'll eat the hats of every Qatari. All 8 of them.

I have no doubt that Russia will host a succesful world cup but the fact is both England's and Spain's bids were far better than theirs. You have the lack of infrustructure, the relative poverty of the Russian population ( average age of death is something like 45-50) and the biggest thing going against it is racism for that alone it shouldn't have been awarded to Russia but you then add to the fact that their government have ties to organised crime and that they are corrupt they should have come last.

Don't get me started on Qatar, an absolute joke of a decision, 45 degree football, racism, homophobia, sexism, a population of 1.6 million or is this just me with my tinted glasses... oh no I'm a neutral observer

I have no doubt that Russia will host a succesful world cup but the fact is both England's and Spain's bids were far better than theirs. You have the lack of infrustructure, the relative poverty of the Russian population ( average age of death is something like 45-50) and the biggest thing going against it is racism for that alone it shouldn't have been awarded to Russia but you then add to the fact that their government have ties to organised crime and that they are corrupt they should have come last.

Don't get me started on Qatar, an absolute joke of a decision, 45 degree football, racism, homophobia, sexism, a population of 1.6 million or is this just me with my tinted glasses... oh no I'm a neutral observer

Haha... what? It's like 68ish, mate.

It's Russia, not Somalia.

How on earth are you meant to play ANY sport or infact do ANYTHING in that kind of heat? I just hope no one bothers to go... just the players :woop: