Worst checkpoints in any game.

Sizzy

Die less and drive faster

I enjoy having to start a mission if i fail, it makes me work to get better at the game so when i am close to death i actually try my best not to die knowing i am going to have the most boring drive ever back to the mission! Most games these days just re spawn you with everything right there making death pretty pointless. Although i do have to admit it feels like shit when you lose just as you are about to win the mission.

The mission that prompted me to type this thread was the valet one. It took me several tries. Cars turning into me, people diving in front of me and the like.

Kids these days...

I'm probably older than you, and I started with the regular nintendo. Having to drive 10 minutes because you hit a small hill and flip your vehicle 14 times and it lands on it back and blows up isn't fun.

I also played Vice City. The thing is, progression happens. And with progression, pointless wasted hours of driving on a game seem to not be a thing that people have to do anymore. So forgive me for not enjoying it?

The helicopter is your friend.

So your solution to failing a mission that has you drive for 5 minutes while using a certain car and the like is to use a helicopter? =/

I have the hunter, but helicopters aren't good for doing most specific missions.

Think yourself lucky it has checkpoints at all! It never used to.

Things change. Just because things happened in the past, doesn't mean that they still happen :).

I played countless ps1 and ps2 games, and honestly was probably more immersed, so I don't remember ever having a problem with this like I do now. But taking 5 minutes to drive somewhere every time you fail on a game with pretty bad physics and not great combat is something I feel has taken away from the game for me.

They added these checkpoints to this game? Because it seems they only added them to the start of the mission and nowhere else. Although there was a 5 part mission that had a checkpoint after part 2 but nowhere else. That seems a bit odd to me.

Edited by Sizzy

Yeah I had to restart the mission where you track down someone in San Fierro about 7 times before I finally beat it and it always took about 5 minutes to drive around town to all the spots before I got the the challenging section of the mission. I finally beat it and started the next mission where you have to drive from one city to another and after failing it twice I decided that was enough San Andreas for a few days.

I'll start it again this weekend and I'm not frustrated enough to quit playing by any means, but it would be nice to not have to do all the driving again if you fail during a different part.

Lol, dont play jak and daxter 2 then. That had the worst system cuz when you died itbwould put ypu ag the start of the whole area, respawn every single enemy without replenishing the ammo to your original amount.

If i had 300 bullets, died at the end with 5 bullets left it would start you at the beginning, all enemies were back and you only had the 5 bullets instead of the 300 you originally started the area with

I don't see the point of adding checkpoints if you have to start at the beginning every time you fail. It's annoying as shit. I'm at the mission where you have to save Sweet from the back of a hotel, the first part of the mission is easy but the getaway is really hard. Your car loses health extremely fast and you have to play through the entire mission again and cannot even skip the cutscenes. It's really pissing me off.

Has anyone else gotten tired of having to drive for 5 minutes every time you fail a mission? I'm on about 20 times so far at least. It's quite ridiculous.

I'm just as upset with the lack of cab fast travel. Fast travel is definitely spoiling gamers, however, this game makes you drive constantly across the entire map to places you just were, over and over. I'm still enjoying the game but it's getting to be a bit much. Glad I finally have access to my Hunter.

Die less and drive faster

I enjoy having to start a mission if i fail, it makes me work to get better at the game so when i am close to death i actually try my best not to die knowing i am going to have the most boring drive ever back to the mission! Most games these days just re spawn you with everything right there making death pretty pointless. Although i do have to admit it feels like shit when you lose just as you are about to win the mission.

It's not CJ dying that fails most missions for me; it's some objective failing that is usually out of your control, like a random crazy driving motorist that runs down an ally, or your ally getting glitched and not moving where they need to be, or an unclear objective.

Has anyone else gotten tired of having to drive for 5 minutes every time you fail a mission? I'm on about 20 times so far at least. It's quite ridiculous.

I've gotten tired of seeing "Checkpoint saved" mid mission and then having to start at the beginning of the mission anyway if I fail. If there's no checkpoint there, why have the game tell me it saved a checkpoint?

It's still better than what the game used to be though. Used to be not only did you have to redo all the driving within the mission, but you'd have to drive back to the mission start marker from wherever you failed the mission at as well. So if you drove 5 minutes to get to where you failed, you had to drive 5 minutes back to the mission start and then another 5 minutes to get back to where you failed.

I swear they've made this game easier though. Even the missions I remember having trouble with I'm blowing through in one go. The only ones I've failed so far are Zero's second mission, the one where you try to shoot down the helicopter on the freeway, and the one where you protect helicopter from the other helicopters on top of that mountain (shot one of the enemy copters and it crashed into the friendly one). I dunno, maybe I'm just better at playing compared to the last time I played this game, or maybe I've just gotten really lucky, but it feels so much easier.

I've just completed flight school and that was also piss easy. I got gold on everything but two of them first try, and the other two were because I apparently crashed into something invisible and took 2% damage. Either I got a lot better at flying or the game got a lot more lenient.

Edited by mjc0961

I don't see the point of adding checkpoints if you have to start at the beginning every time you fail. It's annoying as shit. I'm at the mission where you have to save Sweet from the back of a hotel, the first part of the mission is easy but the getaway is really hard. Your car loses health extremely fast and you have to play through the entire mission again and cannot even skip the cutscenes. It's really pissing me off.

This is the exact mission that made me read this thread!! Man, that was so damn annoying having to sit through all the cut scenes (wouldn't let me skip them) and then driving all the way back and fighting through the hotel all over again. That being said, I agree with the fact that modern games and their abundant checkpoint systems have spoiled us!! It's nice but it makes going back and playing a game like this a bit of a pain in the ass, albeit a fun pain in the ass that I was very happy to see released with achievements!!!

This is the exact mission that made me read this thread!! Man, that was so damn annoying having to sit through all the cut scenes (wouldn't let me skip them) and then driving all the way back and fighting through the hotel all over again. That being said, I agree with the fact that modern games and their abundant checkpoint systems have spoiled us!! It's nice but it makes going back and playing a game like this a bit of a pain in the ass, albeit a fun pain in the ass that I was very happy to see released with achievements!!!

I prefer there to be some checkpoints. Talking about that mission, the hotel bit is fairly easy. Just go slow in case more swat guys pop out, run back to the soda machine at the start if you can't find any other health, and you're through no problem. Having a checkpoint at the start of the car section, which is the actual hard bit, would be fine with me and not any form of spoiling. Spoiling would be multiple checkpoints throughout the car bit. But I loathe having to replay an easy bit just to get another crack at the part I'm actually having trouble at and actually need to practice.

That said, I would have sworn that was one of the missions they made easier as I blew through it first try. Maybe I have just gotten better and the difficulty is the same. That mission definitely tripped me up all the time when I was younger (I was going to say "when I was a kid" but then I remembered that the game came out when I was 18 and freshly graduated from high school and now I feel old :(. Which is weird because I was thinking it would be even older than that. Huh.).

EDIT: Holy shit, a checkpoint finally worked! I accidentally shot one of the barrels in that mission where you board the plane and blew myself up, and it restarted me in the back of the plane rather than back on the bike.

Kind of funny because the bike part is so short it doesn't really need a checkpoint. :p

Edited by mjc0961

I prefer there to be some checkpoints. Talking about that mission, the hotel bit is fairly easy. Just go slow in case more swat guys pop out, run back to the soda machine at the start if you can't find any other health, and you're through no problem. Having a checkpoint at the start of the car section, which is the actual hard bit, would be fine with me and not any form of spoiling. Spoiling would be multiple checkpoints throughout the car bit. But I loathe having to replay an easy bit just to get another crack at the part I'm actually having trouble at and actually need to practice.

It wasn't the hotel part that I had trouble with. It was the car chase afterwards. My issue with the lack of checkpoints in this mission was once I failed the mission during the car chase scene, I had to start the entire mission over including the opening cut scene, driving to the hotel, the hotel shootout, and the chase scene all over. But again, at the end of the day I am still having a damn good time with the game!!! And you're right, I think they may have made a few missions a little easier. I remember on the ps2 having A TON of difficulty with chasing the train on the dirt bike but knocked that out on the first go as well!!!

If you're still having trouble try upgrading your AK weapon skill. I got it first try after upgrading.

I have a laugh for you I just found out the low rider suspension phisics work back to front.

I was on the mission where you have to drive ceasers car from the country to the town to take photos. And I couldent work out why my car would tip over on a grain of sand. After about five tries I jacked it up to about 5 foot off the ground and it was smooth and stable and I did it first time lol.

That said, I would have sworn that was one of the missions they made easier as I blew through it first try. Maybe I have just gotten better and the difficulty is the same. That mission definitely tripped me up all the time when I was younger (I was going to say "when I was a kid" but then I remembered that the game came out when I was 18 and freshly graduated from high school and now I feel old :(. Which is weird because I was thinking it would be even older than that. Huh.).

The original PS2 title was difficult. I believe later pressings of the game had some missions modified slightly and eventually this would be carried across other platforms. The fuel I think runs out much slower on Supply Lines - especially for the mobile/360 version.

Turning on lock-on aiming (as was originally the way aiming was on PS2) makes things easier. For manual aiming, the sensitivity I had to reduce it.

Edited by Thorpe

The checkpoint system is horrible. Worst example is the mission where you have to take the packages off the 4 motorcycles (it's for the pimp). No checkpoints for getting to the ambushed van, no checkpoints for getting package off of all 4 motorcycles, no checkpoint for getting back to the pimp's base of operations.

Nearly ruins the game in my honest opinion. I can't enjoy any impactful moments because of the lack of checkpoints.

So far this game has become a terrible experience. I have the fear to launch it (because it froze once). I'm afraid to begin any mission because I know the audio might disappear. The graphics are awful, a smooth upgrade would've been appreciated. But they fuck up, like it happened before when a great number of pixels became dark and the car at the same time started to bounce.

Terrible, abysmal game. I'm done with it until they patch this shit.