You know what i dont get?

FPS GLIMMER

Is it possible people will get in shape just because of this game? I personally dont think so. Think about it for a second. If you don't have enough discipline to do some basic sit ups or push ups a day, do you think you will have the motivation to commit to this game everyday? I dont want to sound like a dick about this, but I know some people who said that Wii fit would be fun and get them into shape and they stuck with it for a week.

The bottom line is, you think that its going to be fun to do these work outs, but when you actually get short of breath, tired and sore people are going to quit.

Thoughts on the subject? I know i sound like an asshole but I am being brutally honest. My fiance's sister is obese and she buys all these fitness gimmicks but never sticks to them. IF you really want to get into shape, take a look at yourself and commit to walking or running.

I guess it depends how much people are driven by Achievements... ;p

In all seriousness, I am personally going to try to use Your Shape as motivation to recapture that discipline. I had it in my late teens and early 20s, then some point I lost it. I want to blame the kids, but that's not nice of me...

Anyway, I don't like going to a gym, but I need the coaching that a trainer provides. Your Shape sort of fulfills that trainer need for me. Granted I really can't keep up just yet -- it could use a few more slower routines to help me learn the moves -- but after only 30 minutes tonight I burned over 200 calories. It's a small start, but a start.

Ultimately, to answer your question, I think Your Shape will help some people, especially those who approach it right. Or are Achievement whores.

I had a Wii Fit, lasted about 3 weeks in all honesty. Only really ended up doing the yoga, but even that got boring. I'm in now way fit, but I'm not fat. I'm 34 and starting to get that midlife belly. I want rid of it, but I'm an achievement whore, so going to a gym takes time away from gaming. I work full time and can't face going to a gym every night to lose the belly.

This is the perfect marriage for me; fitness and achievements. Will I get fitter? I hope so, I did feel better for the weeks I was using Wii Fit, but packed it in because I was 'wasting achievement time' ;)

Kinect will alter all of that for me. :)

We got Wii Fit, too, and it lasted maybe 3 weeks also. It wasn't that compelling a device, to be honest (you didn't _need_ to do anything with the arms, for example).

I think Your Shape will be different. First off, you earn achievements for burning calories. I've always wanted to get achievements for real life things... paying bills, filling the gas tank on my car... :)

But now you really do get achievements for real world things: working out, burning calories, hopefully toning a 40+ year-old body, and, best of all, losing that midlife belly.

So I agree with you -- I think Kinect and Your Shape may just help alter all that for us.

the game alone won't help if the person doesn't have the discipline to stick with it and better their eating habits. i lost 50 lbs in about 3 months earlier this year by just eating better and portion control, and have been keeping that weight off by maintaining my eating habits and exercising regulary. the main reason i bought this game was to help keep the weight off with exercise during the winter while it's too cold to get outside and exercise.

so i think it will help as long as people play the game regulary for at least 30-60 minutes a day and eat properly and not eat too much.

i plan on getting this tomorrow night , useta stretch do situps/pushups daily along with 30-60minutes of top rock (great exercise) about 3-4 years ago then stopped after bein with my ex for a while :/ , gained aout 20-30 pounds since then , hopefully this will help me cut the wieght off , got that dance central at launch and that has also been gettin me into my old habits again :)

The bottom line is, you think that its going to be fun to do these work outs, but when you actually get short of breath, tired and sore people are going to quit.

When you are short of breath and sore the next day... that just means that it's working and shows just how out of shape you really are! If they quit, well then they quit. People quit diets and getting in shape all the damn time.. welcome to Fatland!

There was another thread that talked about the same exact thing, yea it was right above this one. Maybe you should have posted there.

My sister bought wii fit last year and used it almost every day and lost about 15 kilos over a period of time. Its basically how much you decide to use it. But its no different from a gym, as far as I am concerned. people need to find motivation and inspiration to do many things, and if gaining achievements while exercising is one of them, then thats awesome.

I'm muddled on how the calorie counter works though tbh.

On Gym Games like Virtual Smash, I cannot get below or above 10 calories burned in 1min.

But then on workout gametypes I'll get easily well over 100, it's just weird. Like if it doesn't detect correctly i.e. the % you get for each different routine, or if you're not moving at the correct speed. I'm unsure.

But still, you do break a sweat, you do have an increase in heart rate SO those 2 factors alone tell you you're burning calories.

So OP you're wrong, you can & will get fit IF you put in the time, just like every other method of actually "exercising".

My only question would be like I say, just how accurate is the in game calorie counter??

• 2 weeks later...
I had a Wii Fit, lasted about 3 weeks in all honesty. Only really ended up doing the yoga, but even that got boring. I'm in now way fit, but I'm not fat. I'm 34 and starting to get that midlife belly. I want rid of it, but I'm an achievement whore, so going to a gym takes time away from gaming. I work full time and can't face going to a gym every night to lose the belly.

This is the perfect marriage for me; fitness and achievements. Will I get fitter? I hope so, I did feel better for the weeks I was using Wii Fit, but packed it in because I was 'wasting achievement time' ;)

Kinect will alter all of that for me. :)

Well said sir, same goes for myself. Except the full time work part, i'm just part time. :)

If you use this everyday for 30 mins & eat a balanced diet this would help you to get in shape.

But if it goes the way of the wii fit then no... because all the fat people that bought them will realise that playing this game stops them from eating and being lazy.

• 2 weeks later...

Imagine if you get a 1000 in get fit with mel b, zumba, ea active and this one... you are gonna look stunning:D Achievements is indeed something that will keep me going. Im in the gym 5 times a week but i HATE cardio so i barley do any. Im trying to find new workouts that will keep me going. I have tried yourself fitness (pc), zumba (not the game, the dvd) and the latest get fit with mel b (ps3) and it´s so much more fun than get out and running. Looking forward to christmas, hopefully i will get a kinect from my parents^^

• 2 weeks later...

The BIG difference between doing this and press-ups/sit-ups is that this game has TONS of different exercises that work your whole body, plus Yoga and Boxing, so you can work out in many different ways - if you're just doing the 2 exercises then they'll get REALLY boring.

Not to mention that the chick who talks during your work out tries to keep you motivated, so it gives you encouragement...

I've already burned over 800 calories on the game in 3-4 sessions - something I could never have done if I was just doing sit-ups or push-ups because I get horribly bored doing those!

Of course, the Cheevies help as well. ;-)