Without trying to be mean

Hyperion

So I have my b/f on my xbox list and another friend we both have, aside from that we don't play with anyone with co-op games. Well, my b/f and I want to play Borderlands 2, problem is we want to play with just the 2 of us but our friend wants to play with us even if he beat it 454543534 times. It's not that we don't like him or anything it's just the first Borderlands meant alot to us and we like to really emerse ourselves in the story, stay at the same level and keep at our own pace for the second game. We feel bad but anyway, does anyone know how, without just telling him, to get around playing it without him knowing? Some ideas, anything?

EDIT: Thanks a bunch guys, I told him the truth and he was completely fine with it and we plan to play together on the second play through. Thanks again for helping me manage the courage xD ^^

Edited by Hyperion
Resolved :3

So I have my b/f on my xbox list and another friend we both have, aside from that we don't play with anyone with co-op games. Well, my b/f and I want to play Borderlands 2, problem is we want to play with just the 2 of us but our friend wants to play with us even if he beat it 454543534 times. It's not that we don't like him or anything it's just the first Borderlands meant alot to us and we like to really emerse ourselves in the story, stay at the same level and keep at our own pace for the second game. We feel bad but anyway, does anyone know how, without just telling him, to get around playing it without him knowing? Some ideas, anything?

Being honest would be the best option. Honesty isnt a bad thing.

With Cmpunk,

If I had a couple of friends (oh how I wish I had a couple of friends) and they asked me to leave them to enjoy a full run at the game Id be fine with it.

Most reasonable people couldnt take offence, its not like your saying dont play with us its just a short term request.

My wife and I had the same issue. I play all the time but the only game she currently plays is borderlands 2 and both of us work a lot. We did borderlands together and borderlands 2 is our...together time. We dont want to share that. My wifes cousin jumps in my games without asking so I told him that when Im online with my son I dont care if he joins in but when Im on with my wife that the game is closed because that was time for me and my wife to share together with no one else. He understood...but just in case I reset my wife and our game to be by invite only so no one else CAN iump in.

Apearing offline is the best way to be sure tough...

Personally i had a similar problem with Resident Evil 6. I wanted to do it SOLO... Usually i prefer to do ALL my games solo the first run, cause i hate when some dude speak during cinematic, or even in action it kinda distract from the game... i enjoys game like a movie if i can say. When i go pro run or veteran or whatever its call, i don't mind having help and helping somebody, but first run is a full cinematic experience for me.

Yet i kept getting invited all the time to party and people kept asking me to play with them... i was always like NO DUDE, NOT UNTIL I FINISH THE 4 CAMPAIGN YET... and at one point i just put myself offline when playing... now i was not bothered anymore.

Only exeption i did to my rule is GOW3 due to that damn 4 player co-op achievement... i wanted to be sure i had 3 people to do every chapters... and it was a pain... we would play for 1 hour, normally i would want to stop playing(rare i do more than an hour of campaign) and they wanted to continue so at one i was getting grumpy, especially since they insisted to put it on veteran first run... i was really PISSED OFF BADLY at the lambant berserker....

Thats why a solo run is always better... always.

OMG I hate it too whenever I sign in and getting bombarded with game/party invites. So after that we just decided to appear offline whenever we want to play a game. If you don't want to say anything to that friend you and him should just appear offline so nobody in your list will ever know. And then make a party for just you 2 setting it's settings thingy to 'invite only'.

Well the thing is he's really excited about it and neither of us had the heart to say anything like "hey you can;t play with us" we just stayed quiet =x

As for playing offline, he'd see the achievements we'd get.

Huh if he go as far as looking at your achievements all the time... time to do something. I mean is he always online when you are? Seriously ma'am time to grab your balls.... huh well figuratively speaking... and make it clear even if he is excited about it and all. Tell him you will play with him when your done beating it one time, later ... Like some said, if he is your friend he will understand.

Well the thing is he's really excited about it and neither of us had the heart to say anything like "hey you can;t play with us" we just stayed quiet =x

And? Is he likely to interogate you over it? Unless he is your 24/7 online stalker then you are bound to get achievements when he isn't about. If he does bring it up in conversation just say something then. Unless he is a teenage internet stalker he should have the capacity to digest the information that you want to just play together first.

As others have said I think your best bet is to either appear offline or set your game to invite only so if he is online this gives him the option to message you to ask why he can't join and you can send something back like "Me and XYZ want to just play alone for this playthrough" and then ignore him for the rest of your session.

I think you are over thinking things and fearing the worst when there is no need to.

If I were you or your b/f.....I would just say "Hey, we want to play with you but not with these characters. Let us beat it at least once than we can all play."

It's reasonable and it is something that has been said to me when I issued challenges to friends. They wanted to play the game slowly, i.e. Borderlands, but after they beat it, we rolled new characters and we raced to see who could get to The Destroyer first.

Appear offline?

I've done this since I got Gold 4 yrs. ago. I had my online setting set at "blocked" for a few months but now, with BL and my temp Gold account, I'm back to "appearing offline". It seems when I don't, I get message after message, which is annoying.

You could set a day for you and your friend to play together and another day for the three of you to play.

"We're having quality time. We'll send you an invite when we want to do things as a party."

"But-"

*kick

It's not that hard.

If you don't set boundaries now, you'll regret it later.

Just have a word with your friend, explain that its just your time together for gaming. If he's a decent guy, he will understand.

If you don't set boundaries now, you'll regret it later.

This and this^^

If he throws a shitfit, time to reconsider the friends list. He doesn't need to impose himself on you guys every single time. That's kinda rude.