Worst game ever!!!!

Only had a few troubles, and I'm enjoying the game although i can only play every once in a while.

I think you exagerate immensily :)

Im hoping there's a sequel sometime in the future..

Makes me remind of the old Wing Commander and Privateer games...

• 2 weeks later...

shame, I love this game so far, think its awesome. The only glitch I've noticed is if the game is doing something like your watching the exit hyperspace sequence or the exit trade station sequence and you press the guide button when you go back to the game the screen goes wrong and you can't fire, bring up the menus or anything, you can still fly but can't do anything else, in which case I just pause and load up the previous autosave. Other than that I love this game to bits, but then I do love a good scifi space shooter and I can do whatever I like in this one!!

Pro

I havent played much of the game yet, but other than:

The horrible acting

The back of the box "embellishing the truth" when it says you explore over 300 worlds (I'm getting the feeling that If I see a planet from anywhere other than the inside of my cockpit, its going to be in a cutscene...)

that every human trade station I visited has the same girl working traffic (I'm assuming something simular will happen with the alien space stations)

That there is no option to change the controls (steering with the left stick is bad - pulling left to barrel roll clockwise is just insane)

That the game is essentially 4 years Old, and yet it was priced like it came out within the last month,

That every now and then, there is an enemy that just wont take damage for a while.

and the feeling that the writers didnt speak english as their first language, (I am constantly reminded of that family guy joke of the foreigners who have almost mastered the english language)

The games not too bad :)

EDIT: Add staring at two ships for a long period of time thinking the game had frozen before it continued on...

Edited by SpinelesS

I pre-ordered the game last year, as I'm a big fan of the story driven space combat genre, having previously played the Wing Commander games on the PC, but I played this game about twice and was like, "WTF?! I paid £40 for this shite?!" and traded it in for some other game.

I think thats where you guys are making the big mistake, you paid full price for it. You gotta do your research!! Maybe I'm just cheap but when a game like this comes out I tend to be pretty on the fence until it drops below £20, and I got this one in particular along with Black Ops, Halo Wars, Enslaved and a few others via trading in a bunch of games I no longer wanted/needed and voila!! I got this and the others all in for maybe £40.

As it is I agree that the production values are a bit low, for instance the voice acting is pretty ridiculous, its like we've gone back to the days of Mega CD style interactive movie games! And the lack of controlling a character in the 3rd person is annoying but I knew going in off the bat that this was all gonna be cockpit combat and I was fine with that.

I think the other mistake or problem is that a lot of people simply automatically expect Mass Effect quality, but unfortunately there are still developers out there who can't afford it.

I like this game for what it is, the first space combat simm I've enjoyed for years. Its free roaming, huge and colourful and the ship controls and upgrades brilliantly. IF your looking for anymore than that you should've just gone back to Mass Effect 2 for another play through.

Oh and I'm not dissin ME2 if anyone somehow gets that impression, I've completed it and absolutely adore it, I'm just saying that the two are in entirely different leagues.

Pro

Only had a few troubles, and I'm enjoying the game although i can only play every once in a while.

I think you exagerate immensily :)

Im hoping there's a sequel sometime in the future..

Makes me remind of the old Wing Commander and Privateer games...

I love Privateer. I still have system that I play it on every few months! This game sorta feels like Privateer, but I think the story and acting was much better in that game. Wing Commander never held a candle to Privateer in my opinion, but was still fun. This game sorta reminds me of Freelancer, but it feels more than a little cheap in comparison. Also, the game hasn't frozen on me yet, and I usually put in 6 hours at a time.

I like this game haven't had any problems with it thus far

Picked it up at Walmart for 20$ so can't complain too much since it has the sleeve cover still intact

Wish it was longer and there were more levels tho... doing 2 playthroughs just because you can't do both turrets and bow weapons is a tad disappointing to me

• 3 months later...

To be honest I have only just started playing this title, fortunately rented, and I have to say I agree with some of the negatives here.

The acting is like those PS2 games you used to find in the Supermarket for a few pounds that nobody has ever heard of and are absolute crap, it feels like it has been made on Dev Kit in someones garage.

Once you are out in space and flying though, it doesn't feel that bad, I mainly bought it because I miss the days of playing Elite (I know, really old game), and Jump To Lightspeed in Star Wars Galaxies, that kind of relatively free roam, space exploration and combat simulator, upgrading your ship as you go, which is not really represented anywhere else on the console.

No it isn't going to win 'Game Of The Year' anytime soon, but it isn't totally bad :)

If its freezing or getting stuck I've found that installing a game on the HDD often fixes many problems. I was encountering issues with the sound not playing properly on Enslaved, some sections of the game it would be silent apart from the background soundtrack, no effects, explosions, dialogue, nothing. So I installed it and now it is perfect.

Food for thought.

Pro

• 3 weeks later...

I think this game is quite good. I'm an old Frontier: Elite II addict so it might just be me being nostalgic. There aren't many games like this around, especially not for consoles. I found it was mostly the same "feel" to the game as Elite II but with much better graphics. The Milky Way is somewhat limited though, but still large enough to earn the right to be called "large". While waiting for David Braben to make Elite 4 I will occasionally come back to this game when I feel the urge to travel through space.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually didn't have that many problems, but (admittedly) I'm not that far into the game. Got sidetracked by the trading, etc, and faction grinding, then sort of lost interest for a while as I went to other games.

Planning on going back pretty soon, though. There just aren't that many other similar titles on the 360, so it is what it is. Shame though. I feel like there's, at least, some market for this sandbox-esque sci-fi theme.

• 2 weeks later...

This game is awesome! Bought it last weekend for $10 at Tiger Direct, not knowing what to expect, but the back of the box looked interesting. I used to play Space Trader, a freeware game on my Palm m515, and this is basically a 3D version of it, with a bare bones Wing Commander stapled to it.

The voice acting is horrible, but that's part of its charm. This game is my Deadly Premonition, a terrible game that I love to death! :D

I would only say DarkStar One is a bad game because it has a lot of potential to be something better. Honestly if one modded this puppy out it would be awesome. Nix a few sluggish and boring aspects and infuse it with a better vocabulary and better story for the big part. Upgrade it to be a bit more relevant to the world we know than JUST pure scifi fantasy would be a big help as well. Of course the gameplay graphics are starting to look aged yet still usable but the videos are pretty bad all around. The menus and labeling are very unsavory.

The achievement list doesnt help keep you from being bored either... destroy 500 meteoroids? Come on! really. But at least it turned me on to Smuggling in the game. That is until I quickly became a Master Smuggler then the game's only 'reward' was punishing me with a higher rate of 5-0 scans.

So anyways it's good enough to finish it 100% but I won't be telling any lavish tales of excitement if the game comes up in conversation with friends. That and I swear Eona is a transvestite.

Edited by artphobia

I played through the game and encountered 1 glitch (couldn't fly properly after hitting the guide button) and 1 crash (when jumping from to another system). That makes it one of the most stable games I've played on the 360. Coupled with the fact the game constantly saves (finished with 121 saves :lol: ) for backtracking, DS1 is quite user friendly.

• 2 months later...

I'd have to agree the voice acting (and character animation is pretty darn crap, yeah... sadly, that's the case for pretty much all space simulators except the old wing commander series... )

controls aren't great, no... which is odd, cause there are plenty of games out there that have great controls.. were the developers afraid they'd be called copycats? or did they think they could invent the wheel (steeringwheel, that is)?

haven't had any glitches yet though.

• 1 month later...

I am having problems with the game completely locking up my console(not just software cuz I can't even bring up the xbox guide). It has happened to me twice today and I have not had any problems before now. Has anyone else had this problem? I just replaced my xbox and I really don't want to have to replace it again lol. (Replaced on November 30, 2011, less than 3 weeks ago) I keep experiencing this problem when trying to grind freighter robberies. The first time I saw it today was at the end of the Gab'har story mission when you were supposed to get an autosave after Jaw'son boards the Arrak cruiser. These two incidents have no commonalities that I can see, because you shouldn't encounter any autosaves when robbing freighters in the same system. Any input would be greatly appreciated. The game is installed on my HDD and the disk does not spin at all so I know it isn't my disk drive failing.

Edited by Tyranid Slayer