Anyone else give up achievements?

Mr Snipey

Because I just have. I realised that because I was obsessed with achievements, I wasn't actually enjoying the games. Many achievements just irritated me, or were a massive, boring grind and thank God I am free from achievement-addiction now!

Now I can just enjoy the games.

Note: this isn't aimed at anyone. I'm sure most other people don't let achievements ruin their enjoyment but they certainly did for me.

I am not a cheevo whore at all, but I do get a sense of accomplishment when I do get an achievement. Usually I will look up the game on here for miss-able achievements and work to get those and then play the game for the story. After that, I will play for achievements.

I am not a cheevo whore at all, but I do get a sense of accomplishment when I do get an achievement. Usually I will look up the game on here for miss-able achievements and work to get those and then play the game for the story. After that, I will play for achievements.

That's usually how I go about my gameplay as well. Story first, cheeves after - unless the story turns out to be complete shit and I have time to kill, then I'll concentrate on getting those points.

I haven't necessarily 'given up' on achievements. I've just slowed down. I still enjoy the game whether or not I'm gunnin' for achievements or playin just because.

Same here apoch.... i don't go all out and try and get every single achievement in the game.... enjoying the game is more my thing now.... GSL kind of burnt me out.

I'll probably go back to whoring it when GSL starts again.

I'm starting to feel this way too. Although i will continue to get achievements that are attainable and somewhat relate to regular gameplay, I've decided to no longer grind for hours and hours to level, get items, etc. When achievements used to mean something it was one thing, but with all the modders and cheaters, it just doesn't mean as much to me as it used to.

When I play a new game I go and check to see if there's any missable achievements. Then I play it make sure I get them while just enjoying the game and having fun with it. Once I'm done I look at what I have left and do it while still having fun!

I think its best to just get all the achievements on games you enjoy instead of games that you think you need to play so you can get more achievements.

I usually settle with a single playthrough, picking up as many achievements as I can on the way. Difficult/annoying ones are skipped. Multiple playthroughs make the game become common, so I usually play a game once, and then don't touch it for months.

Had a few exceptions, though, the Prince of Persia DLC, which I hated and yet kept on playing for the achievements, and if it wasn't for achievements I'd probably cut down on the Winterbottom puzzles. Or just quit on them or something. OvO

Because I just have. I realised that because I was obsessed with achievements, I wasn't actually enjoying the games. Many achievements just irritated me, or were a massive, boring grind and thank God I am free from achievement-addiction now!

Now I can just enjoy the games.

Note: this isn't aimed at anyone. I'm sure most other people don't let achievements ruin their enjoyment but they certainly did for me.

Did you get your gamescore reset or did you start a new profile?

1st playthrough I enjoy the game at my own pace, picking up achievements if I can.

2nd playthrough i'll either mop up the achievements that I missed or play the game on the hardest setting.

3rd playthrough depending on what I did on the 2nd, i'll play a harder setting or finish off chievo's.

Did you get your gamescore reset or did you start a new profile?

Hi,

No I didn't get reset, but I had to leave that profile behind because otherwise the urge to get achievements would always nag me...

So I thought best to start from zero.

I'm kinda where you're at now. I used to play any crappy game as long as it gave easy points... but a few months ago I was playing through a few and just was having no fun at all. And I thought to myself, "why the hell am I doing this?" So at least for the time being, I'm at a point where I only want to play games I actually enjoy, rather than going for gamerscore.

I'm kinda where you're at now. I used to play any crappy game as long as it gave easy points... but a few months ago I was playing through a few and just was having no fun at all. And I thought to myself, "why the hell am I doing this?" So at least for the time being, I'm at a point where I only want to play games I actually enjoy, rather than going for gamerscore.

For me it wasn't just playing crappy games for points, but also really really good games being ruined by tedious achievements.

Xbox games has two reasons to play them.

Gameplay.

Achievements.

If I'm after a game bcos of the story or gameplay I play it once to just enjoy it, then I go again for any cheevos I missed.

Then there's easy 1000's, which I just print out an achievement guide to follow.

I don't care all that much if I'm not 100% a game that's not known for a semi easy 1000.

im somewhat there with you...

originally i was intrigued by the whole achievement system, because it gives a person bragin rights, both in accumulative points, and for having one game either 100% or hardest achievements earned, but with people boosting their gamerscore, and all that other BS it kinda lost its merit...

also i spend alot of time with some games and thier MP, where achievements aren't given as often... also there are always those times of the year where a person that keeps up with the latest games like myself has nothing to play because nothing new that looks interesting is really out...

im at 50 something K, about a year ago i could have told you that number by heart, hell i even have apps on my PC that display my achievements and i just don't care to minimize this window to check my actual score, i never play a game just to get achievements, but i have played threw games that turned out to be shitty just to finish the main game and earn those achievements, that i wont do anymore because i just don't care, but i still enjoy them, and i will still continue to come to this site as it has more and better uses than just acquiring chievos

First playthrough: get majority of the achievements

2nd playthrough: get the known the game more with few achievement(s)

3rd playthrough: enjoy the game

I have hard time enjoying the game on the very first without trying to get achievements. I do enjoy the gameplay, but just not same as my 2nd playthrough.

For me, it is the opposite way.

I enjoy the game on my first play-through, and achieving any achievements that i come across is just plain unintentional.

However, my 2nd play-through is what keeps me motivated with the game, because knowing i have achievements that i could go for, well these keep me going (especially on games that don't have multiplayer).

I don't think achievements are essential, but they can keep up my motivation when i'm game jumping every now and then. Otherwise i just waste a good evening getting nothing achieved (not just in the Xbox 360 perspective either).