Episode Four... *shakes fist*

Indie Hero

John Romero was probably laughing from his evil throne when he designed these levels. Wait, is it still funny to talk about him? I've sort of been out of the PC loop for a while. lol. Maybe I should get out of the nineties.

But I can't even come close to finishing the first level outside of Co-op, but unfortunately finishing it on Co-op doesn't give you achievements. That sucks.

I've already gotten started on finishing the first three episodes on UltraViolent, but that's a joke. I can't even finish Episode Four on normal difficulty, so that's basically for the sake of my own... Whatever. Who knows.

Anyone else hate episode four?

E4M2's considered basically the hardest official map made for both Doom and Doom II, probably due to limited ammo, no health powerups until the second half of the stage, deadly lava pretty much everywhere... yep, deservingly. It drains to hell all your ammo stock from the first encounter, and you've got to contend with twelve barons the entire level.

I've manage to brute-force through Ep 4 on UltraViolent solo, and the only advice I can give you is learn to dodge with precision timing, don't be afraid to lay into the heavy ammo, and save after every major encounter you survive. It's certainly possible if you keep at it long enough.

• 2 months later...

My god, I HATE Episode 4! I beat the first 3 episodes on Ultra-Violent within 3 days of buying the game, and got stuck on the first mission in Episode 4! I stopped playin DOOM for 9 months, and came back after I completed Wolfenstein 3-D last night. Suprisingly, I actually beat it TODAY! Its friggin hard...especially E4M2.

As for tips....like others have said SAVE. And save OFTEN! If you manage to kill even 1 or 2 enemies without sustaining damage then SAVE! If you get hit, then load up your previous save...my rule of thumb is to sustain at least 70% percent health. Though, I was able to sustain 100+ health throughout the last half of Episode 4. But yeah, like I said, save. ALOT.

GOOD LUCK

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For the first mission, take your time. Honestly, if you rush and run without killing, monsters will just keep spawning. it's honestly best to take out every single monster, even the Baron in the middle section. Try and trap him behind a cage either if your inside or outside. When getting the second key, bec careful of the 4 imps hiding behind that little wall. If you get trapped, your done.

Surprisingly, E4M2 is the only one I don't remember. I do remember it having lots of Barons, but once you pick up the plasma gun the level becomes surprisingly easy, as it takes a a short while to kill them. Plus the huge amounts of cover make it easier.

Also, beware E4M6....the end....nightmares.....be careful.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If you people find Episode 4 so hard, give Plutonia a try on the PC. Level 1 pits you against at least two Archviles on UV difficulty.

Of course, playing Doom on the PC with wasd+mouse makes it easier anyway.

Ep4 is definitely a lot tougher than Ep1-3 but it's mostly just the first few levels which have virtually dick all for ammo, as someone said it gets easier and easier as you progress and build up a stockpile of ammo and armour.

• 2 months later...

I totally agree; Episodes 1-3 were a cake-walk which I almost breezed through even on UV difficulty, but Ep4 is a different story.

Even on the first level you have several Hell Knights aswell as hordes of imps and shotgun dudes all on a fairly tight map. As for the second level; found myself loading and reloading constantly for a good hour or so...the very start was prolly the hardest part, having to deal with the oncoming wave of floating enemies with only a shotgun and minigun, then facing the Hell Knights and other higher grade enemies.

In all fairness after the second level it did get easier as you had so much juice.

Episode 4 is fail. Especially considering the fact it totally throws the Doom plot around.

Episode 4 plot - The demons have invaded earth and killed your bunny "FluffY". Take revenge.

O.T Episode 4 is a completer bitch, go slow, save lots, panic and scream.

Most people consider E4M2 the hardest Ultimate Doom map, at least from pistol start. Personally i see E4M6 as the hardest map, the constant jumping in the slime pit to then teleport and fight a cyberdemon in the end is not impossible but quite annoying at time. I've been playing this game for 13 years and that map still annoy me.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I managed to get all the offline cheevs, and even the 4th Episode without doing the glitchythingy, and it's doable.

I played Doom since it came out on the Pc, i played the (good) PSX ports,

and i even managed to get through the snes version on UV multiple times.

And now the Xbox360 port on UV.

Let me try to give all the ppl who hate episode 4 some advice(s).

The MOST important thing u need to do:

U need to get all the secrets all the ammo and u need to stay at 80% health

from the first level.

The rocket launcher will make the 2nd level easier.

U need to carry as much ammo/health over to the next level as u can.

And when u grab the blue key on the frst level don't kill any enemy, just...

RUN B1TCH RUN! (like i did)

and here it is important to use the elevator (where u got the rocket launcher earlier)

and then straight to the exit.

On the second level use not all rockets on the cacos, kill the last two with the shotgun.

and of course u need to telefrag the cyberdemon for the BFG,

but get the rocketlauchner ammo before u kill him, and just kill the two cacos which will come to u if u telefrag him, then open the door collect all 3 celpacks and run to the button, dont kill any other cacos.

This will make the following levels much easier.

And most places u never walk through again in some levels, dont kill the enemies there if they are Barons, just lure 'em away from keys, get the keys and run.

In my personla opinion this episode is very different and much ahrder than the 3 before, but it is still doable.

The only level where i got in real trouble was the one (sry forgot the name)

where another cyby is right before the exit, where the teleporter is in the middle of lava and u need to approch it from the side where u want to teleport.

I had only 28% health left and the lava draws 10% *argh*

My attempts to get some health where rally hardcore funny.

but the levels after this are really easy.

Escpecially the last one is *YAWN*.

• 3 months later...
It was definitely the hardest episode, but it's not that bad. E4M2 is a bitch but E4M3 (maybe 4?) gives you tons of ammo, I had full rockets for a long time .

I agree.

If you find yourself struggling, make use of your save slots. Save after a successful encounter, save before opening a door or dropping somewhere down, and reload if things could have gone better. It will make the episode far more bearable.

• 5 months later...

I absolutely loathe the first level of the episode. The other episode first levels do a better job of preparing you for later levels (in regards to available weapons), give a fair amount of health and only throw moderately difficult enemies.

This one is IMO overly stingy and throws multiple Barons (meat shields) your way. The rest of the episode is manageable but that very first is tedious on UV (the only difficulty I ever play)