What do you play as a Male or Female?

Mr360xX

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a friend who always plays as female. His reasoning is that if he's going to stare at the back of a character for hours on end he'd rather have a female butt to look at.

And I thought I was the only one with a weird friend like that, haha.

Most of the time I play as male. If I've beaten the game before, I might run through as a chick. Just depends, really.

I usually default to Male, and generally an enemy character model, except in Halo.

In Saints Row 2 however me and a mate are a pair of chicks; his is sporty and normal, mine is Hispanic and freaking crazy. When we tear shit up it is reminiscent of the filmclip from The Outsider (A Perfect Circle, if you ain't knowing, then hit YouTube and get knowing) .

It depends.

On games where the character you play as has no significant pros or cons other than appearance, I pick female.

But in games where the character you choose does do more than just appearance, I choose whichever one I'd personally benefit from the most.

Exactly this, except swap Female with Male

Edited by BluWolve

whenever i do something the first time round i would usually just pick a male. i'm playing fable 2 for a second time now(stupidly deleted my first save file:(), and i thought i may as well play as a female since i was male first time.

also, my first pokemon game was pokemon silver, in which you were forced to be male anyway. when i bought crystal i chose a female. because it's kinda like a second run through, plus the option wasn't there before.

About five times from different people while I was boosting Assassin's Creed Brotherhood I heard that reasoning for choosing a female character: I'd much rather look at a female if I'm going to be playing this long, thus the Courtesan was chosen the most.

I always choose male, rarely will I go female unless I do as Starstrukk suggested. For example, in Resident Evil (the original and REmake) Chris Redfield's game was considered "harder" because he only starts with the knife, has a maximum of 6 inventory slots and doesn't get the Grenade launcher. But his pros are that he takes more damage than Jill from enemies. In Jill's case, you get 8 inventory slots, start with the handgun and even get Barry Burton along for the ride...in addition you can also get the shotgun WITHOUT having to use the broken shotgun thanks to Barry (which results in the infamous "Jill Sandwich" line). Her cons are that she takes more damage...but ultimately she's the easier of the two characters for a beginner despite that setback. Regardless, I play as Jill because A.) she's hot (in REmake at least) and B.) I prefer her to Chris in that game.

Resident Evil 2 I'm not too sure about, Leon never deals with Brian Irons...and has Ada, Claire only ends up with Sherry...uh, I THINK Leon has less inventory slots but I'm not sure...and as far as damage goes, I think they're equal? Also you can do Scenario A, Scenario B for either character, thus resulting in a different experience for the second one (of your choosing).

Whenever I play Mass Effect, I'll go male too...it's just what I choose. I mean like Starstrukk said, if the female counterpart has no unique bonuses I'll pass. Fable II for example, male and female...but the only difference with the female seems to be that everyone refers to that character as "her" or "she" and some story aspects change to represent the sex of that character (minor ones, such as sidequests). I'll never play as a girl in Fable because of that, doesn't offer me anything.

I always pick males. Unless they look really awful, an example would be Fable III.

In my opinion, the hero who slays dragons and saves the universe needs traits that are more commonly found in men. I'm not saying a girl can't save the universe, but she would need to be tough enough. Examples would be Jane Shepard from Mass Effect, provided you don't do your best on making her look retarded.

Most in-game girls look and act like a bikini-clad poser. Unless there are significant differences, like in Street Fighter where every character plays differently, I will stick to the men.

I gotta go with male. For games like Mass Effect and KotoR, I just have a hard time being a badass, world-saving... girl. I haven't ever heard (nor would I want to) a female Commander Shepard yelling at / insulting someone. I had a really difficult time with the 3rd Pirates of the Caribbean, when Keira Knightly is trying to give an epic, "lets be heroes and save the day" speech like a grizzled old pirate. I cracked up. Who in God's name would follow that?

If I were a girl I'd be happy as hell there's at least an option, but I miss the days where there was no choice. Either have the protagonist set as male or female and a dope story built around that. I would play either way if its a good game.

My case in point: Imagine if you could have chosen whether Link was male or female. Imagine. Yeah, fuck that.

I gotta go with male. For games like Mass Effect and KotoR, I just have a hard time being a badass, world-saving... girl. I haven't ever heard (nor would I want to) a female Commander Shepard yelling at / insulting someone. I had a really difficult time with the 3rd Pirates of the Caribbean, when Keira Knightly is trying to give an epic, "lets be heroes and save the day" speech like a grizzled old pirate. I cracked up. Who in God's name would follow that?

Dude, you're missing out on something, the Female Shepard is absolutely badass!

When I was younger and was given the chance, I'd always play as a female character.

However, lately I just settle with male characters for various reasons (Fallout 3 females looked pretty bad, and with all the Sheploo commercials, I played ME 1 and 2 with Sheploo as well).

That, and most of the time you can only play as a guy, so I suppose I'm used to it. Excludes MMO's though, then I always create a female character.

As a girl, even with the option to choose a female character, I always choose male. I don't really know why, maybe it is through habit, as in the past it was often only male characters available. Or maybe it is down to me being quite a tomboy at heart. :)

When confronted with a choice when creating a character from scratch: Male. I never understood the "If I'm going to stare at," excuse; I'm comfortable enough with my sexuality to stare at the back of a virtual human without somehow being mentally altered. Even when I used to roleplay on MMO servers back in the mid 90's, I'd never play a female.

In games where the characters play differently, I'll give other ones a try.

I play female in single player games or games where I don't really have to interact with other players.

In MMO's or games along those lines, I'll generally play a male... although I've realized that, despite me managing to avoid guys chasing me as a male avatar, females tend to make up for it by liking me instead ._.

Edited by IDiivil