Did it turn out like you thought it would? Opinions on Gears 3

Almsivi

Hello, my fellow Gearheads!

I looked through the forums of what people thought about the game, but what I found was mostly people ranting about specific things - like the different multiplayer modes - how "this and that sucked" not what their actual thoughts were, like what the game's "ups and downs" were.

(I haven't played the game yet, nor did I play the beta, so I thought all that was blasphemy!)

I read the review by Dan Webb though, and it got a dashing 97% (!), but now I'm curious of what YOU people think, those who have actually played the game thoroughly, and can give a proper review.

What's Gears of War 3s flaws, in your opinion, and what's so great about it?

Any feedback is appreciated, so don't be shy now! :)

Ups

Lag free games online

Good story line

Nice looking graphics

Balanced weapons

Tons of different unlocks

Downs

Having to listen to people that suck at the game bitch about how bad it is cause they don't have their dial up connection helping them.

Sitting on the boomshot and having some asshole on your team come from behind you and picking it up after you waited 2 goddamn minutes for it to spawn.

Hearing rap music through someones mic.

Getting down right next to a teammate and he runs the other way leaving you to die.

Edited by Chaos MAN

Yeah, Sawed-Off everyone is going to complain about it, but more than half of those people will use it. Even before I played the beta, and not really having found much fun in gears 1 MP thus skipping 2's MP entirely. (Played the campaign on another profile with a friend) I saw that it was going to be a cheap weapon and was wondering why they included it since the existing shotgun was already getting "OP" complaints, they went and made a different one for people to bitch about. I don't quite get that move. But the upside is, it has like 0 range, 1 shot and a very long reload. Making it pretty OP for running in close 1 on 1 battles, but you are rarely going to win a 2 on 1 with it unless you kill them both in the 1st shot. Just a few minutes ago I got a Quad kill with the Gnasher, which I would have not been able to pull off with the Sawed-Off so it has its balance in a broader spectrum.

As for my opinion, I have always liked playing Gears campaign and co-op, and disliked multiplayer from the start. I was decent at it, but I found it boring and unfairly frustrating. I would shotgun a guy in the face, but he would somehow not die and be on my left side shooting before I even saw him move, basically the type of instant deaths you suffer in this type of game because of lag issues. Almost every game I have played so far has been more or less lag free, and I find it really fun. I strayed away from competitve multiplayer since way back in R6V1 days was about the last time I played a lot. But I can say that I really enjoy this one, and plan to play it for a while. I even bought the season pass for the upcoming maps already. Even my random friends are like WTF u on Gears o.O, cause it has been known I didn't like it.

The story/horde/beast shouldn't really need to say anything there, fantastic. Horde adds a "tower defense" aspect of building up walls and turrets with money earned from kills/revives/executions ect... you build up the level of defense you can build over time progresively across all games played based on how much you spend on that one "defense". So lets say you gain access to Troika Turrets, quit go to sleep, next time you are on you can build up to Troika again (Although you have to start at 1 each time and upgrade from there, it allows you to build up progressively) I hope I explained that ok. And beast is the other side of that. You play as locust against AI COG and is a lot of fun. You start out being able to use low level Locust, and unlock higher tier enemies you can buy based on kills/heals/structures destroyed. Berserker FTW! And have a time limit to take out all AI enemies, and get small time extensions off of kills, and they build up defenses as well.

I am a huge opponent to any type of sequils getting GOTY, but for the most part, this is the complete Gears/game package. Top Notch stuff.

I played for about 2 hours last night and must admit the Sawed-Off didn't seem so bad to me. It is truly devastating in the right circumstances but I found people missed me as often as hit me really.

Things might change when people get a better hang of it's range etc.

Can someone tell me; have they changed the sawed off reticule from the beta? I'm sure it was different.

Otherwise - I enjoyed my first experiences with it last night; Beast is an interesting twist, horde is a bit more challenging & engaging (although; did anybody else feel a mad difficulty curve at wave 20?) and the core MP has a lot of choice in terms of gametypes.

Here's another Gears-aholic opinion. :)

Honestly, I found Gears 3 to be everything I hoped it to be, and then some.

Campaign-wise, I thought it was perfectly paced. The game ran smoother and the visuals were spectacular. And the story? Fan-bloody-tastic. If you ask me (and you didn't :p) it was the perfect way to end the trilogy. On a side note, I hate when games make me feel emotions - makes me feel different to the average joe - but man this game did it to me.

Multiplayer-wise, you couldn't ask for anything better. Everything is phenomenal. Horde is even better this time around. Beast mode is a great addition. And matchmaking is just awesome. (Thank you dedicated servers!)

Bottom line - everything about this game is phenomenal to me.

Ups

Lag free games online

Good story line

Nice looking graphics

Balanced weapons

Tons of different unlocks

This^. Main reasons I didn't play GoW2 because after playing the first one it left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Now I still got some beef with the game, mainly how retarded kids are, and how annoying it is when they get on your team. Now I mainly stick to Cap the Leader, as I've found that to be the most fun. I did wingman with my friend, before he had to go. I was enjoying that also.

Cons

No Guardian

They've kind of made Guardian and Submission into capture the leader. Which is a shame because even though I like the new game mode, I enjoyed those two seperate more. Maybe we'll have them re-introduced at some point?(not holding my breath...)

Other than that yea the game is pretty damn good. Still think I enjoyed the atmosphere and solo play of gear 1 more campaign wise out of them all but it's still a pretty solid campaign made infinitly more fun with the 4 player co-op and arcade.

Just need some more maps now and I'm all good.

Well I can offer a somewhat different perspective I guess. I never owned an X-Box 360 until January 2010. So I never played Gears of War or Gears of War 2 when they came out. As a matter of fact, the first time I played ANYTHING Gears, was oddly enough the Gears 3 beta. I had a blast. I was like, "Wow, I was missing this?!"

Shortly after I went out and bought the Gears of War collection, the one that gives you Gears 1, Gears 2, and the All Front Pack for Gears 2 for like $30. After going through the campaign in the first game and being totally dissapointed with the multiplayer and the horrible horrible horrible achievements, I put on the second game and had a much better time. The mutliplayer was a bit unstable, the amount of experience needed to level was horrid, but the Horde Mode and awesome campaign made up for it.

I should also mention I went through the campaign in both games in co-op with my friend who doesn't even own an X-Box.

Anyway, I got Gears 3 yesterday. The mutliplayer just FEELS so much better then the others. Like I said I never played much of Gears 2 MP, just over the past couple of months. But everything in Gears 3 feels so much smoother, easier, it runs better, and no random disconnections that say you've been kicked out of the game by the host. I have yet to try the Horde Mode, but the Beast Mode is freakin' awesome I think. Quick, dirty, and fun. And the campaign? HOLY HELL. So much shit going everywhere you go. Especially in Act 3. When the reviews said it doesn't give you a break from the action, they sure as shit meant it.

So in short, yes it exceeded all my expectations.

Here's another Gears-aholic opinion. :)

Honestly, I found Gears 3 to be everything I hoped it to be, and then some.

Campaign-wise, I thought it was perfectly paced. The game ran smoother and the visuals were spectacular. And the story? Fan-bloody-tastic. If you ask me (and you didn't :p) it was the perfect way to end the trilogy. On a side note, I hate when games make me feel emotions - makes me feel different to the average joe - but man this game did it to me.

Multiplayer-wise, you couldn't ask for anything better. Everything is phenomenal. Horde is even better this time around. Beast mode is a great addition. And matchmaking is just awesome. (Thank you dedicated servers!)

Bottom line - everything about this game is phenomenal to me.

Sounds like a kick-ass game, can't wait to play it now! :)