How to fix scratched disks?

DannyAwesome

I had my xbox upright and while I was playing kinect my cat nuzzled it and it fell over and made a funny noise then the screen said the disk was unreadable.

I took it out and there is one circular scratch going around the CD like a ring. Any way to get this out?

Lol next time I think I am going to keep my 360 flat.

If your disc looks like the one below then you're more than likely SOL.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLQxV13kF3s]YouTube - Xbox 360 Slim Scratched a Disc[/ame]

...but you can try this if you get the materials. I haven't tried it myself but it may be worth a shot.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASQjNB0-Uzg&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - How to fix Perfect Circle scratch disc XBOX 360[/ame]

Your last option is to see if you can find a place to fix it.

Edited by Method

I did this to one of my sisters discs. I was lucky she had a disc repair/cleaning station, the cleaning did nothing. The repair (polishing) worked after a couple of tries.

Failing that the ones a DVD hire shop use are great and would work on all but the worst scratches, maybe ask them to help you out.

My local games store offers a lifetime scratch insurance for $5 each time I buy a new game, you didn't happen to have that did you? I never buy it but probably should

Some shops have disc cleaning machines. I believe these work by taking a light layer off the disc, without harming any of the data

Thats exactly how they work. Most deep scratches are laser burns where the console has been knocked and the laser which reads the data has come into close contact with the disc and burned it.

Ive heard 2 ways that work. Furniture polish is one of the best ways but Ive heard that Toothpaste works good too. The toothpaste works because of the little grit in the paste makes it good. Not sure though, I keep mine in pretty good condition.