"The game could not start. Please download the game again"

prk628

I am hoping someone here can help me out....

I just bought a new hard drive for my 360 in hopes that I would be able to play my old xbox games. I formatted the drive and inserted a bunch of my old games, none of which worked. I kept getting the error message "The game could not start. Please download the game again". I went online and downloaded the compatiblity update from MS, burned it on a disc and installed it onto my 360. That didn't fix the problem, I still can't play any of my old games.

Has anyone else run into this problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help.

PRK

prk628, welcome to the forums!

Do you currently have the ability to play 360 titles? Where did you buy the HDD from? I checked a couple of places on the internet and others have had similar issues with HDDs that were purchased separately from their console. Some suggestions have included clearing the cache of the harddrive and downloading the system update again. Also, if I may ask, why did you download the compatibility update and burn it to a disc rather than just connect your console to the internet directly? I would assume that its a location issue, but I'm just curious. If possible, I might recommend taking the time to do any system updates and downloads directly to your console.

If you want to try clearing the cache, here's the instructions:

Go to the system blade and then select memory.

Press Y on the HDD symbol and then press X,X,Left Bumper, Right Bumper, X,X. Once you do this a message will appear saying: 'Do you want to perform maintenance on your Xbox 360 storage devices?' Select yes and continue.

Edited by MoonSka

I am able to play 360 titles without any problem. I purchased the HDD from Amazon.com used from a reseller. I've been able to move games and videos onto the drive without any problems. As for clearing the cache, I did that and it didn't resolve my problem.

My 360 is connected to the internet and I've got the gold membership, so I figured I'd already have the update installed. When the games didn't work I tried to download and install the compatibility which didn't resolve my problem.

I looked around the net and really couldn't find any other suggestions besides resetting the cache which is why I came here. Hopefully someone else knows a fix...

prk628, welcome to the forums!

Do you currently have the ability to play 360 titles? Where did you buy the HDD from? I checked a couple of places on the internet and others have had similar issues with HDDs that were purchased separately from their console. Some suggestions have included clearing the cache of the harddrive and downloading the system update again. Also, if I may ask, why did you download the compatibility update and burn it to a disc rather than just connect your console to the internet directly? I would assume that its a location issue, but I'm just curious. If possible, I might recommend taking the time to do any system updates and downloads directly to your console.

If you want to try clearing the cache, here's the instructions:

Go to the system blade and then select memory.

Press Y on the HDD symbol and then press X,X,Left Bumper, Right Bumper, X,X. Once you do this a message will appear saying: 'Do you want to perform maintenance on your Xbox 360 storage devices?' Select yes and continue.

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome!

I definetly burned the file onto the cd, my 360 found it and installed it.

I'm not sure what else to do..... it's not the end of the world if my 360 can't play regular xbox games but I really was hoping to find a fix.

Er.. this is new to me.

The only thing I can think of is that you just placed the xex file onto the CD instead of burning it, and the update didn't actually install.

I dunno man.

Anyways, welcome to the forums

I just checked and made sure that all parental controls were disabled.... thanks for the suggestion but still no xbox games playing on my 360...

The only other thing i think it could it be, is that parental/family controls are preventing you from playing them.

Same as allowing 18+ games to be played, an option has to be turned on to allow original xbox games.

I called Xbox Tech Support last night and they walked me through all the steps I've already done. They decided to ship me out a compatibility disc which I should get in 10-15 days. I'll be back in a few weeks to report my progress!

Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions!!!

PRK

Well I just received the compatibility disc from Microsoft and ran it, still no luck!

I'm growing concerned that playing my original xbox games just isn't going to happen unless I have to ship back my 360 to headquarters. At this point I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble, plus I really don't want to be without my 360 for at least 2 weeks....

Oh well

I wish you the best of luck mate!