Is Kinect compatible with all 360 consoles?

Efase

As you obviously know, Christmas time is coming and i've been thinking of purchasing a Kinect. However, i was speaking to a friend and he stated that its possible that the cable used for Kinect isn't compatible with all xboxs.

Now, i bought my Xbox 2 years ago, it came with a 60gb drive and two games, Kung Fu Panda and LEGO Indiana Jones. My question is, is Kinect compatible with this console? Is it only compatible with the new 360's?

Thanks,

Efase

P.S: Please dont TL;DR me

Kinect is compatible with all 360's, but if yours isn't a slim then you will also have to plug it into a wall outlet. It'll come with all of the cable's and other necessities that you need either way.

EDIT: The cable that your friend was likely thinking of is the one that goes straight from kinect into the new 360's (it has a special end that only fits the new 360's and is made to draw power from them). If you have an old one it then there is a splitter that comes with it. Pop the splitter cable onto the kinect cable and you get regular usb (has to go into the back of the console) and a power cable for the wall outlet. If you have a wifi adapter on the back kinect also comes with a usb extension cable so that you can plug the wifi adapter into the front without physically taking it off of the console.

Edited by kaleido42

My dad and I were confused, because he read somewhere that for the older Xboxs you need a separate power cord (which you said I do. I have the first Xbox360 that came out; not a slim, not an elite.), but whatever he was reading said you would have to purchase that power adapter separately. But you said it comes with it? Just want to be sure it'll work right out of the box before I buy it :]

My dad and I were confused, because he read somewhere that for the older Xboxs you need a separate power cord (which you said I do. I have the first Xbox360 that came out; not a slim, not an elite.), but whatever he was reading said you would have to purchase that power adapter separately. But you said it comes with it? Just want to be sure it'll work right out of the box before I buy it :]

If you buy Kinect as a stand alone peripheral, it comes with the power cable you will need. Everything you need to connect it to both the old and the slim 360s is right in the box.

If you buy a slim Kinect bundle, though, it does not come with those adapters. If you buy the bundle, you can only play Kinect on other slim consoles without purchasing new equipment.

• 1 month later...