Shit that fucks games up

Ice Car

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5DwiX24Zy0]QuickTime Events Suck! - JonTron - YouTube[/ame]

All of us have a list of things we absolutely hate in video games, and possibly, think ruin the game entirely. Whether it was an intentional feature, or an unfortunate occurrence in a game that can't be controlled, vent about them here.

Other than QuickTime Events, since the video above pretty much sums up why I hate them (and names the thread I guess) I suppose turn based combat and random encounters in JPRGs and terrible voice actors. I've seen so much turn based combat in JRPGs I'm absolutely sick of it and don't want to pick up a single other JRPG if it has the same old tired turn based combat. Also, random encounters. I don't think I need to explain why I hate them with a burning passion; in fact, I'd like to meet someone who LIKES this fucking annoying mechanic.

Terrible voice actors sometimes just make me want to slit my throat or at least mute the TV whenever the characters that are voiced by them talk. I don't care that you have problems Anise JUST STOP TALKING GOSH

Edited by Ice Car

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Collectibles that exist for no reason other than to collect them, they add nothing to the game. Not all are like this, a great example of how they should be done imo would be the logs from Dead Space 1. You don't need them all for the achievement and they serve a purpose instead of just being a useless object to collect.

Collectibles that exist for no reason other than to collect them, they add nothing to the game. Not all are like this, a great example of how they should be done imo would be the logs from Dead Space 1. You don't need them all for the achievement and they serve a purpose instead of just being a useless object to collect.

Would you count the "flying rats" (pigeons) in GTA4 to be useless collectibles? I'm a bit confused as to exactly what you mean.

Would you count the "flying rats" (pigeons) in GTA4 to be useless collectibles? I'm a bit confused as to exactly what you mean.

Useless trinkets that have no real purpose other than to be collected... Simple... You might call everything in Animal Crossing this. They pretty up your house, sure, and the goal of the game is to deck your house out with awesome shit, pretty much, but it doesn't really affect the game in any way.

I suppose whether furniture and stuff in Animal Crossing is useless or not is subjective, but when I think about it most of the stuff in that game is useless.

Stupid side quests that are required and are there for no purpose. I can understand some of them have some correlation to the storyline such as collecting all of the Codex pages in Assassin's Creed II, but others like anything in Sonic 06 just piss me off.

Wait, "required side quests"? But aren't side quests just that; on the side? If it's required of you to do it then it's story-related, because it is required of you to advance in the story; the game; regardless of whether it makes sense or adds anything to the story at all.

Maybe you're thinking of the pointless padding out of a game? Adding stuff to the story that doesn't need to be there but you're required to go through? Because as far as I know, "required side quests" is an oxymoron.

Edited by Ice Car

Hmmm...It's kind of hard to think of something I truly dislike...

Oh, I know. Hard difficulties that aren't "harder", just unfair. Throwing a couple extra enemies or upgrading them in some way is one thing. But, morphing them into damage-sponges while turning you into a walking glass figurine is just stupid. Some games this isn't too noticeable or maybe doesn't come out as too unfair, but some it's a glaring flaw (looking at you Star Wars: The Force Unleashed).

The quick-time events in Resident Evil 6, oh my god, those pissed me off. Why do I have to rapidly tap buttons to climb up a rope? What were you thinking, Capcom?

Lag is also a real annoyance. This is of course common in FPS games like Halo 4 and Black Ops II. If I had a dollar for every match I joined that wasn't laggy I'd have 1 dollar.

Achievements for playing games certain ways. Dishonored did this and while I still enjoyed the game quite a bit...my 2 playthrough's were specific to get achievements and not my choice on how I would have liked to play through.
Yeah, I don't like those either. Especially if it forces you to play through a second+ time.

I agree. This is one of the most annoying things in games. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is one of the Half-Lifes in The Orange Box. You have to kill 333 grubs. Why?

Useless collectibles that serve no purpose other than an achievement e.g. Flags in Assassins Creed 1.

A good collectible for example is the comic pages in The Amazing Spiderman since they unlock a digital comic book to read - once I done the amount required to unlock all the comic books I stopped, didn't want the achievement.

Edited by cjdavies

Hmmm...It's kind of hard to think of something I truly dislike...

Oh, I know. Hard difficulties that aren't "harder", just unfair. Throwing a couple extra enemies or upgrading them in some way is one thing. But, morphing them into damage-sponges while turning you into a walking glass figurine is just stupid. Some games this isn't too noticeable or maybe doesn't come out as too unfair, but some it's a glaring flaw (looking at you Star Wars: The Force Unleashed).

Oh lord, I remember that, what a joke, the enemies were definitely damage sponges.

Achievements that involve obtaining something by no other means than by randomness. You can't do anything about it but just hope the game is kind to you.

Examples: trying to get emps out of the box in black ops, it can take 1 try or 1000 tries, nothing you can do about it, another example is getting all the great people to appear in Sid Meirs: Civ Rev, some people never show up no matter what you do...

Achievements that involve obtaining something by no other means than by randomness. You can't do anything about it but just hope the game is kind to you.

Examples: trying to get emps out of the box in black ops, it can take 1 try or 1000 tries, nothing you can do about it, another example is getting all the great people to appear in Sid Meirs: Civ Rev, some people never show up no matter what you do...

Oh, yes, this.

Remember the collection achievements from Robot Revolution in Borderlands 1? It literally took me about 15 hours straight of farming to complete 3 of them.

Nobody is forcing you single player elitists to play multiplayer...some of us like it. Although I'm not huge on competitive mp these days, co op mp is always welcome no matter what the game is.

I know, right? And they make these arguments that including multiplayer somehow detracts from the single-player experience, which holds no merit. Also, it's such a selfish stance. So you think a franchise is a single-player one? Who are you to say?

Nobody is forcing you single player elitists to play multiplayer...some of us like it. Although I'm not huge on competitive mp these days, co op mp is always welcome no matter what the game is.

I know, right? And they make these arguments that including multiplayer somehow detracts from the single-player experience, which holds no merit. Also, it's such a selfish stance. So you think a franchise is a single-player one? Who are you to say?

Why you two felt the need to attack other peoples opinions is just silly. OP asked what WE feel messes up a game. The guy who thinks AC and Bioshock shouldn't have MP wasn't trying to change your opinion, just stating his. Post your opinion and move on....no need to come off as jerks about it. The thread isn't about debating which is better, so get over yourselves.