Not what it says on the tin

uneasy ash

Right first off, yes I know this is a double post thingy and I realise that to some people that's as bad as dressing like Hitler and urinating on war memorials, but as you are undoubtably aware I'm on a crusade to shine light on games developers that have an over inflated ego and believe their products to digital Rembrandts when in fact they are just Big old Jackson Bollocks. So like all great crusaders I'm gonna ram my opinions down you're throat whether you like it or not and carry on regardless.

Now with the fairly recent movie adaptation starring Robert Downey Jnr and the delightful modern adaptation recently aired on the BBC (Sorry all you colonials out there) The game I'm going to go into an apoplectic fit over is SHERLOCK HOLMES VS JACK THE RIPPER* by Frogwares. First off I am a huge Sherlock Holmes fan. The books are great and they are set in a time when the British Empire was vast, wealthy and hugely powerful (yes we had lost America but we still dominated a large portion of the globe, By Jingo, tally-ho, what-what) so the setting and the tone are there for the game. Secondly Jack the Ripper! The grand daddy of serial killers and unsolved crimes. (largely unsolved because the British Bobby at the time was about as clever as a chat show host and could only just figure out how to put his trousers on) And so this game has more atmosphere going for it than a Rasta's Lowrider. So how did Frogwares manage to make such a pig's ear of it? The box claims "Become Sherlock Holmes in a Great Xbox 360 Adventure". Well I can't remember Sherlock Holmes ever running errands for the whole of Victorian bloody London. Granted I'm not far into the game but so far I've run errands for sickly drunks, stupid policemen, lazy artistes and whores. This is beneath Sherlock surely? I don't ever remember reading Sherlock Holmes and the case of the tarts handbag. The game sadly instead of reinventing the point and click mystery game has instead, I fear slashed it's throat, ripped out it's intestines and dumped it into the Thames.

Oh but you do get 80GS for looking at dirty art pictures so that is a small comfort

*The reason I put the title in capitals is to show how bloody terrific this game should be.