Is it just me...?

Massa Siggy

Or have things on X360A dropped off a bit? Most notably the off-topic board, it used to be hopping when I first joined a few years ago. Now it's a few threads here and there, and most are slowly fading.

Have people just moved to game specific forums within the site, or is the population dwindling? I had a ton of really good conversations and stuff on here when I first joined, and want really much to get back into the site, but it seems...slower.

But it could just be me.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though I've been a member of this site for 5 years, I haven't really been active on these forums until last year so I don't really know what it was like back in the "good ol days".

The only thing I can think of that may explain the change in the forums, is that the regulars (or most active people) just found another place to hang out and so stopped showing up here.

Were these off-topic forums that active before? That's a bit surprising considering this is primarily an Xbox site, so I figured the most active forums would be the ones about the Xbox (as well as the bigger games).

Oh and one more thing, whatever happened to that one member ChickenOnaChain (or whatever his name was)? He was a really active member on this site when I started participating on these forums, then he just kinda fell off a while ago.

Even though I've been a member of this site for 5 years, I haven't really been active on these forums until last year so I don't really know what it was like back in the "good ol days".

The only thing I can think of that may explain the change in the forums, is that the regulars (or most active people) just found another place to hang out and so stopped showing up here.

Were these off-topic forums that active before? That's a bit surprising considering this is primarily an Xbox site, so I figured the most active forums would be the ones about the Xbox (as well as the bigger games).

Oh and one more thing, whatever happened to that one member ChickenOnaChain (or whatever his name was)? He was a really active member on this site when I started participating on these forums, then he just kinda fell off a while ago.

I think his interest in achievements just dwindled to be honest. I believe he got more into Harley Davidsons and joined a forum about that. I'll never forget about the thread he posted when that baby got left on his doorstep!

Kind of funny that you guys mention this stuff, because I was just thinking the same things the other day.

I think the two main reasons are, the mods are cracking down more on everything (which is actually good for the most part) and I think the other is simply the site itself. A site and forum for the hottest console on the market (ok, well, for a lot of people it was) was of a lot of interest. Not so much now, with the next big thing right around the corner. I don't know, I find myself not visiting the site as much as I used to, despite the community still being great (in my opinion), not sure why. Maybe it's because my interest in the 360 itself has faded.

/Oh and one more thing, whatever happened to that one member ChickenOnaChain (or whatever his name was)? He was a really active member on this site when I started participating on these forums, then he just kinda fell off a while ago.

Didn't he stop gaming all together? Last time I saw him was back in February.

It's not just you; it's been like this for a while. The shake up at the beginning of the year seemed to rejuvenate the site a little, but that effect has faded.

I'm speaking for myself here, but there's a couple of reasons I don't post so much anymore.

One, I don't care much for the forum reshuffling that just happened. What I consider to be the "main" forums such as Xbox One, Xbox 360, and Games forums are now all grouped under Discussion Boards, which means I only see the most recent post across all of those forums on the main page instead of the most recent post per forum. It makes it a lot less likely for me to click any particular forum. Anyone who studies UX design would agree this is true for a lot of people.

Two, I feel like the mods are removing too much content these days. Besides the obvious rule-breaking posts (of which there were a lot when the Xbox One forum was first created) I don't feel like there are any more delete worthy posts than there were say 2 years ago, yet I'm seeing a lot more posts deleted. And the thread closures. Though a thread may look like it's finished, doesn't mean you need to close it. The world isn't going to end if you leave it open and someone happens to necro it years down the road.

Three, and this really irritates me, is the transition we've made to <topic> Discussion threads, ie threads that want to want to bring all information about a particular topic to one place. I don't want to have only one discussion thread covering the Xbox One or one discussion thread covering all of Gamescom... there are just too many things to talk about, all of which deserve their own thread. They also kill discussion, because people aren't going to read through 5+ pages of posts... they're going to read the last page and respond to those posts only, meaning a lot of posts go unreplied to, or even unread.

Also, an observation concerning the off-topic forums. You want to know one thing that helped kill it? Disabling post counts. It sounds silly, but a number of people do actually care about that number (just like all of us care about the number that is our GS). And why was that done? Because some people were spamming? We've got forum awards for 25000 posts and more, and yet over half of all non-game forums don't contribute to that count. Note that I'm not counting the Max Clubs forums or anything above when I say over half, since people don't really post there.

Sorry for the long post... really didn't expect to write too much.

Edited by dakisbac

I know this is really trivial but some people think its important. I find ever since off topic stopped counting towards your post count it really slowed down.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Dakisbac!

Also alot of people join sites as a teen. Then they grow up get a life, etc and disappear. Only to reappear a few years later when that gets boring. Lol.

Edited by otaking live

I have been a member here for quite some time now but I tend to visit the game specific forums rather than any general discussions. The main reason behind that was the whole Xbox one topic, literally everywhere I would look it would be people saying it would be "amazing" and then the argument would start from the other side of the community saying it would fail, but even when I was in a forum specific to a game these threads would pop-up and it would be a few days before they got locked or deleted. After this I kind of stopped visiting here as much and I only came back now & again just to browse a few roadmaps to help me complete some games, oh and to update the free avatar thread I have that seems really popular :).

Thankfully with all the new games coming out I have come back and decided to post a bit more in the community sections, the Xbox one has it's own forums so most people know where to go now to praise / complain about the future. Community wise I have not done a lot on here since I helped get the 1000 people online in NBA Live 07 before the servers were shutdown and I'm sad to say that I don't remember most of the members who have left / stopped visiting recently, although with that being said if Starstrukk ever changes her profile picture that will be the day I get concerned :p

It's not just you; it's been like this for a while. The shake up at the beginning of the year seemed to rejuvenate the site a little, but that effect has faded.

I'm speaking for myself here, but there's a couple of reasons I don't post so much anymore.

One, I don't care much for the forum reshuffling that just happened. What I consider to be the "main" forums such as Xbox One, Xbox 360, and Games forums are now all grouped under Discussion Boards, which means I only see the most recent post across all of those forums on the main page instead of the most recent post per forum. It makes it a lot less likely for me to click any particular forum. Anyone who studies UX design would agree this is true for a lot of people.

Two, I feel like the mods are removing too much content these days. Besides the obvious rule-breaking posts (of which there were a lot when the Xbox One forum was first created) I don't feel like there are any more delete worthy posts than there were say 2 years ago, yet I'm seeing a lot more posts deleted. And the thread closures. Though a thread may look like it's finished, doesn't mean you need to close it. The world isn't going to end if you leave it open and someone happens to necro it years down the road.

Three, and this really irritates me, is the transition we've made to <topic> Discussion threads, ie threads that want to want to bring all information about a particular topic to one place. I don't want to have only one discussion thread covering the Xbox One or one discussion thread covering all of Gamescom... there are just too many things to talk about, all of which deserve their own thread. They also kill discussion, because people aren't going to read through 5+ pages of posts... they're going to read the last page and respond to those posts only, meaning a lot of posts go unreplied to, or even unread.

Also, an observation concerning the off-topic forums. You want to know one thing that helped kill it? Disabling post counts. It sounds silly, but a number of people do actually care about that number (just like all of us care about the number that is our GS). And why was that done? Because some people were spamming? We've got forum awards for 25000 posts and more, and yet over half of all non-game forums don't contribute to that count. Note that I'm not counting the Max Clubs forums or anything above when I say over half, since people don't really post there.

Sorry for the long post... really didn't expect to write too much.

Well said. Agreed with all of it.