This is the worst one so far!

YiazmatXII

Sonic CD is the worst one so far? Really? What about all the other Genesis games that just got lazy ports? What about Sonic Adventure that didn't get real widescreen support, was still full of bugs and glitches, and had the DX content as paid DLC instead of just including it in the game with the initial purchase? Hell, Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection isn't an XBLA title, but they even fucked that up by not including Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Sonic CD is the best one, they actually went and got some outside help to really make the game shine. True widescreen, your choice of music, Tails is added in as a bonus character. Unless they get outside help again, this is probably the last good Sonic game (either modern or older game re-released) that we'll ever see from SEGA.

you seriously took the words right out of my mouth. i think people hate on sonic 06 because its fashionable to do so.
Or because it has a story even more terrible than Sonic Adventure 2's plothole filled mess, has long loading times all over the place, has control issues, has other bugs, and is overall just a perfect example of how not to make a video game? Maybe you can overlook technical problems like awful load times and bad controls, but that doesn't mean that they don't exist and aren't valid reasons to dislike the game.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MWEHwvcnyM]Sonic the Hedgehog is a bad game, and here's why - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDtY4TxVo64]Sonic 2006 is a boring mess - YouTube[/ame]

If you watch both of those from start to finish and still don't see how anyone can honestly dislike the game, I really don't know what to say to you.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

people these days are so damn whiney. this game has a twist on it but other than that its the retro sonic we know and love. if people today were so whiney back then we wouldn't have so many original sonics cause people are so damn picky. say your opinion, but don't make it sound like the game is completely crap when if you play it like a passionate gamer not a bullshit critic who looks at the stupid side of things like what xplay does in their reviews, its quite fun.

• 2 weeks later...
I also loved the story , next to Sonic Adventure 2 it was my favorite of the lot . I also completely agree about the visuals and level design , they are great . For me the only problem i had with the game ( and it's not even that big of a problem for me ) was the town missions , i really think they could of left that part out of the game .

Back to Sonic CD , this is the first time i have played this game and it really is for me the best of the Retro Sonic games . I love the Past and Future stuff , it adds something a little different to the game . What i really like about the game is all the little short-cuts you can find on each level , i was looking at some videos of the time attack levels............some people really studied this game to death , if there was short-cut they would find it :D

How can a plot that literally writes itself out of the continuum be called good? I'm serious, I want to understand. How can ANY plot that includes time travel, yet has characters bitching about needing to get back in time (what?!), be considered good? Please, enlighten me. I'd really like to hear someone else's opinion on this travesty of a storyline.

Just about every game in the late 80's through 90's that involved some kind of back and forth exploration element was confusing. Is it bad by today's standards? Yes. Everything today is taken care of for you.

Back in the day you had to read the instruction manual in order to understand what the game was asking of you the player. And even then they didn't always paint the perfect picture, which is why a lot of games back in the day required a lot of trial and error.

This is just an example of one of those trial and error games. It's designed to extend the game and increase replayability since the first time you beat the game you likely didn't create a good future.

Does it mean it's the worst game on XBLA? No. Does it mean perhaps it isn't the right game or genre for you? Probably.

The reason why Sonic CD was released is because SEGA wanted people to play it before Sonic 4 Episode 2 comes out. The reason for that is because Sonic 4 Episode 2 is going to be related to Sonic CD.

So think of Sonic CD as a prequel of sorts.

Edited by Miles Prower F6

How can a plot that literally writes itself out of the continuum be called good? I'm serious, I want to understand. How can ANY plot that includes time travel, yet has characters bitching about needing to get back in time (what?!), be considered good? Please, enlighten me. I'd really like to hear someone else's opinion on this travesty of a storyline.

Maybe I'm a sucker for a good time-travel plot, but I don't see how undoing the events immediately make it bad. TBH the game itself is about the story at hand, not its long term impact on the universe. Ocarina of Time for example writ 5/4 of the game out of existence at the end (until the official timeline came out anyways and gave us split continuities) and it wasn't bad at all.

And where do they bitch about getting back in time? Only thing I can possibly imagine you mean is Silver constantly saying he has to change the "past" (present). When he's saying that, he means with actions in the present, not by constantly going back and retrying the same instances. Additionally, none of the characters could time travel on a whim, it always involved two of them together.

If that's not what you mean, I'm at a loss. There's only 4 instances where they ever travel back and none of them involved whining. Spoilers I guess.

[spoiler=1]1) When Mephiles takes Silver and Blaze to the present. Never did Silver say "Oh if only I could go back in time to stop it," the idea was suggested by Mephiles. Not to mention this was before they even knew about time travel.

2) When Sonic/Shadow are stuck in the future. They do mention needing to go back to their own time, but they lacked the means to do so. That's why you spend 2 levels getting the Chaos Emeralds.

3) When Shadow/Silver go to the past. This portal was created by accident, but Shadow led Silver back to discover the "truth" about Iblis. Silver wasn't whining about going back, this was done at Shadow's recommendation.

4) When Sonic goes back after the Egg Carrier crashes. When it crashes and Sonic thinks all is lost, he doesn't sit there going "Oh no if only I could travel," he's literally just taken by grief. Silver then suggests sending Sonic back enough to save Elise.

If you'd like to be a bit more specific in your criticisms I can probably give you a clearer answer, but your post is quite literally saying "It sucks, defend it."

The reason for that is because Sonic 4 Episode 2 is going to be related to Sonic CD.

So think of Sonic CD as a prequel of sorts.

Um, no? Considering we have zero plot details from Episode 2 that's one hell of an assumption to make. Their only relation is Metal Sonic being present, and by that logic Sonic Heroes must be closely related too. I heavily heavily doubt we see anything else from Sonic CD making an appearance. Sonic 4 is supposed to be a straight series (hence "Episodes," like Sonic 3 to Sonic & Knuckles), not a series of standalone titles that jigsaw all over the timeline.

EDIT: Alright I stand corrected, I apologize. I never bothered to watch the trailers because I've already played the game. I'm suddenly a lot more interested in Episode 2 now, though I still don't see how Episode 1 fits in there.

Also I wish this forum had strikeout enabled >.> Much better than whiting it out.

Edited by Veedrock

Haha usually I don't have to worry about people doubting my credibility on matters of Sonic the Hedgehog(being Sonic's sidekick carries some responsibility), but I forget that this isn't the SEGA forum. I should have posted my source alongside my claim.

If S4E2 goes for some type of gameplay like Sonic CD, I think that'd turn out to be an interesting game. After all, they release a Sonic game every year, why make more of the same thing? This is a good opportunity for them to take STH 2D gameplay in a different direction.

you mean this tails? http://archiesonic.wikia.com/wiki/Tails_(MxYL)

if so, its a poor counter argument considering this is a "future" version of tails. he's still about 8 years old in the present time

The timeline is that there is a video game canon, and comic canons. This is the most true statement.

So you'd have to try and state which canon is more superior, or more relevant to move your argument further ahead. The ongoing(never ends on SEGA forum) discussion of which canon is, or is not, more or less relevant isn't very meaningful to me, so it doesn't matter at all to me if you view my counter argument as poor.

The timeline is that there is a video game canon, and comic canons. This is the most true statement.

So you'd have to try and state which canon is more superior, or more relevant to move your argument further ahead. The ongoing(never ends on SEGA forum) discussion of which canon is, or is not, more or less relevant isn't very meaningful to me, so it doesn't matter at all to me if you view my counter argument as poor.

i didnt mention anything about canon. i know the videogames and comics use a different canon. the tails in that link, is from the "Mobius X Years Later" universe. with a name like that, it's clear that it is a future universe, and not one that takes place in the present time. he is only 11 in the present.

it's clear that it is a future universe, and not one that takes place in the present time. he is only 11 in the present.

The timelines are tied to the canon, so they are one and the same when we talk about incarnations of this or that character.

But, that's about as far as I want to get into all this time and canon and contiuum discussions(no one ever wins) so it really just comes down to this: Don't matter to me who disagrees with me.

Edited by Miles Prower F6

The timelines are tied to the canon, so they are one and the same when we talk about incarnations of this or that character.

But, that's about as far as I want to get into all this time and canon and contiuum discussions(no one ever wins) so it really just comes down to this: Don't matter to me who disagrees with me.

thats as far as you want to get into it? you havent explained anything. not trying to say youre wrong, just trying to understand what youre trying to say. i dont read the comics, all i know about the situation is what i got from that link, and that link says its a future version of tails.

thats as far as you want to get into it? you havent explained anything. not trying to say youre wrong, just trying to understand what youre trying to say. i dont read the comics, all i know about the situation is what i got from that link, and that link says its a future version of tails.

That's right. I am just choosing not to go into it.

There's a lot of excuses I could use like it's off topic. But the real reason is that I just don't feel like it. Constant arguing on the SEGA forum does that to people over time.

You just get tired of proving yourself and tired of explaining things over the years.

So I choose to do the simple thing - not get into it.

But in other news: did anyone see that progressive commercial featuring Sonic in it?

I don't even post on the SEGA Forums anymore let alone any of the Sonic boards (sans the comic board when I am there).

Well you made this guide, and it works. So you did something more productive than they did.

I wrote the Sonic Free Riders achievement guide(inspired by 360a) on the SEGA forum, unfortunately since the game wasn't extremely popular, it only helped a few people.

I also hosted the the Sonic 4 poll on the SEGA forums which even caught the eyes of their staff.