Are servers shutting down?

KRAZYKEVIN5

• 3 weeks later...

According to their reasoning, they anticipate closing the servers within a few years...so what is the bloody point in making online achievements for any of their games if this is going to happen? If anything make them ALSO obtainable in local multiplayer that way they are not virtually impossible go unlock.

Apparently Dead Space 2's achievements can all be done in singleplayer, but why not use that across ALL their titles? It is a stupid practice that I'm surprised they choose to ignore...creating achievements that will eventually be unobtainable...what is wrong with them?

According to their reasoning, they anticipate closing the servers within a few years...so what is the bloody point in making online achievements for any of their games if this is going to happen? If anything make them ALSO obtainable in local multiplayer that way they are not virtually impossible go unlock.

It is a stupid practice that I'm surprised they choose to ignore...creating achievements that will eventually be unobtainable...what is wrong with them?

I totally agree. Its a freakin joke that they do this. I usually wait for these sports games to come down in price before I buy them, definitely not worth 60 bucks to me. For example I just bought NCAA football 10, and those servers got shut down in August apparently, so now theres achievements on there that will forever be locked!! That game was released less than two years ago, its total BS! Either keep your servers online longer than it takes to release the next game, or like everyone has said GET RID of the damn online-only achievements.

This is kind of an upset for me... I'm not about to go spend $60 for a game I already have minus a few extra features. I just picked up Madden 10 (depreciation value on these sport games are terrible) so I got it cheap... so what. I try to activate my little code so I can play online and it freezes my game. Then I find out the servers are shutting down. So I guess EA realizes that all these people keeping older titles because they don't want to pay $60 for pretty much the same game need to be forced into buying a newer title... so they shut down the servers. Playing the CPU is only fun for so long. I have games with a 1/4 inch of dust collecting on them and their servers are still running... and they don't get paid bank like EA does with all the money EA saves doing tiny improvements each year. Wish they would release a Madden once every 2+ years while releasing DLC since that's pretty much what a new Madden game is anyways. Online only achievements on a game with an average lifespan of 1-2 years max is just bad developing. Thank you for reading my rant.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...