How much do you all think some of the bigger youtube commentators make?

Precisely no idea, I know from seeing enough information on the subject that some of the 'channels' make in excess of $15,000 a video, the size of the operation depends on who they are, what they do, etcetera. With that in mind, some of them don't make much more than well payed people will normal jobs, however, I'm sure that isn't as common considering everything going on. I know my dad made a shit ton of money working for Boeing and other aerospace companies, but he had to support a family of 5, so it worked out to being decent pay. Those days are past though, and since has a new job, divorced, yeah lol...anyways.

Point I'm trying to get across is a small operation, that doesn't take a lot of 'polish' people could be making some serious dough for little work. The shows that are truly sell outs have to pay writers, editors, commentators, all that jazz...so pretty penny but not as much as you might think.

I have a question for the OP...why post this here? I'm sure it relates to Black Ops in a round-about way, but not really lol. Why not off-topic forums? Just wondering...

Edited by 13ip0lar

The smaller unaffiliated YouTube posters make nothing for the most part, some get sponsored by third party controller makers, other custom item manufacturors or a company like Astro or Turtle Beach and get "paid" in product. People who actually work *at* companies like Machinima draw a salary, a friend of a friend knows a guy who directs some videos and does some commentaries, but his actual job description is data entry and advertising liason or something like that, he gets USD$35,000 a year, plus or minus a couple thousand either way. Machinima directors that only send in videos / commentaries and don't actually spend any time in the office get free stuff passed to them from Astro, they send Machinima cases of headsets and amps at a time, and they get a check dependent on the quality of the videos, number of views, subscribers etc. By my understanding, it's usually an average of $75 per to average players, while the most popular commentators with the most subscribers get between $100-$200, depending.

A friend of mine does rock band and guitar hero vocal videos, as well as videos of her playing guitar on expert while singing expert simultaneously. Everything she posts is 100% notes hit and she has a seriously amazing voice with excellent range and control from singing in school choirs all her life, she attends the Peabody conservatory in Baltimore, which is very prestigious if you haven't heard of it. She used discs with songs she sang on her 360 as part of her entrance portfolio and ended up getting a full scholarship last fall, pretty damned awesome accomplishment IMO.

She's sponsored by rockbandparts.com, rockbandvocals.com, a company that makes custom guitars for the games which I can't recall the name of, she gave me a RB pro guitar similar to the fender mustang harmonix just released, except it's no buttons and plays exactly like a real midi guitar, it's all set in a PRS custom 24 guitar as the base. She gets stuff like that and a flat $200 for solo vocals and $250 if she sings for some of the bands that share her sponsors. It's great for her, she makes some extra spending money and doesn't have to work to eat, she's very happy with the situation. :)

I would tend to think someone as large as woodys gamer tag would make more than $100 per video, but $15,000 seems like a bit much.

His videos appear to average somewhere between 50,000 to 100,000 views. If you get a penny per view for ads, that would come out to $500 - $1,000 per video.

This is all speculation unfortunately since no one here seems to really know, lol.

I'd also think people on machinima salary would get some sort of bonus or incentive commission if their videos get more traffic for their channel.

Yeah, true. I imagine its an excellent second source of income though

From what I understand woody works as a software designer or something like that... and the youtube thing is a side project. I bet its a very lucrative supplemental income for the bigger video makers.

Obviously youtube is infested with hundreds or thousands of people trying to imitate them now. I have no intention of ever making any videos but was just curious.

Youtube is crap since Google bought it plain and simple. They started the copyright crackdowns hardcore, and not for anything serious, just people using music tracks in their vids without permission. GG

I rarely look at anything on there anymore. I don't even keep up with subs anymore...this from someone who has had their account since '06. -_-

Not sure how much they make but my god its good money for playing video games. If anyone follows xJawz he is 16 and recently bought a $50k car that he says came from machinima. He also mentioned that with the money Machinima pays him he is all set for college and brand new 2011 mercedes. btw he is only 16 crazy check out his videos he does tons of giveaways

Not sure how much they make but my god its good money for playing video games. If anyone follows xJawz he is 16 and recently bought a $50k car that he says came from machinima. He also mentioned that with the money Machinima pays him he is all set for college and brand new 2011 mercedes. btw he is only 16 crazy check out his videos he does tons of giveaways

I enjoy xJaws videos quite a bit, he's informative, funny and very good at shooters. He does a lot of giveaways, but it's items he got from sponsors for the most part at least, he's not handing out his own money.

Let take a moment to discuss cars and school...he has a "$50,000" car now, money for a 2011 Mercedes SLS AMG ($300,000) or an SL65 AMG Black (around 200k if you can get one), then college. If the Army plus a merit scholarship I won prior to enlisting hadn't covered my education, it would have cost around $150,000 per school year, not including books, materials and another $7500 per year for housing.

Let's add it up:

Mercedes SLS AMG $300,000 or SL65 AMG Black edition (he mentioned both in videos)

Education at a good college: (I attended Johns Hopkins, so I'm using numbers from there, Harvard, Yale, Dartmouth etc would cost 50% more)

$150,000 per year, times 4 is $600,000. Add lodging and books, round that to around $50,000. That's $650,000 right there.

The total is $850,000 - $1,000,000.

So we're talking about someone 16 years of age, which means no completed education, making videos online having that amount of money just sitting in the bank. I think it's one hell of an exaggeration. I'm sure he makes a few hundred on his best videos, maybe even $1000, but that requires 1000 amazing videos with insane views, no taxes paid and no money spent on anything to reach $1,000,000 at $1000 per. As I said in the beginning of my post, I love his videos and I'm one of his subscribers, I hope he's well compensated for his excellent work, I simply can't see that type of money being made at 16 years of age for making YouTube videos.

Just my opinion on the subject, and the numbers would obviously differ if he's looking at a $50,000 Mercedes and community college or perhaps a state college.

Edited by neverendr
Edit for bad formatting & double pastes due to posting via phone

I posted a video on youtube once. it was what they called a revolutionary video. I made millions from it and am about to release my second video, which insiders say will net me billions. Hopefully a third sometime in the far far far future will net me trillions.

I burn all my money to keep warm as its cold where i live, really cold.

I posted a video on youtube once. it was what they called a revolutionary video. I made millions from it and am about to release my second video, which insiders say will net me billions. Hopefully a third sometime in the far far far future will net me trillions.

I burn all my money to keep warm as its cold where i live, really cold.

Pay your heating bill then you wont be cold ..

Maybe I am a h8r, but fuckin a why should these people get paid

They aren't getting paid for the content in their videos. They are getting paid because they have a lot of subscribers, get a lot of views on their videos, and that makes for a perfect opportunity to get a lot of views on advertisements, which is how they get paid.