Achievements improvement

Led

The Oblivion achievements were good in that they prompted you to experience all the major stories, but that's ALL they did, they were all linked to story chains.

A selection of those kinds of achievements are great, but tehy need to be bolstered by other achievements that you actually have to work toward. I'm not suggesting they be particularly difficult, only that they make you play the game and experience more and more.

As for what achievements are in, I'd expect achievements for killing all dragons, achievements for getting shouts, levelling achievements and of course the standard achievements for guild participation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grinding achievements are the worst kind of achievements a game could give you, whether it be hours played, enemies killed, or bullets fired. I hope Bethesda can be a bit more creative than just reaching various ranks, but I hope they don't stoop as low as giving us grinding achievements. Killing a few things is fine (like killing the 5 super-mutants in Fallout3) but you go into the category of "Kill 1000 enemies", "Reach Level 50" etc... it just becomes repetitive. Keep the rank-based achievements for sure as it enures that players actually play the majority of the game, but limit the point amount or decrease the number of ranks that award the cheevos so you have room for other things as well (I think a good grinding one would be to amass an inventory of items worth X amount of gold.)

Achievement ideas (some of these are derived from Morrowind and Oblivion. Obviously alter to fit whatever elements Skyrim choose to include):

Speed Demon- Catch and speak to Ma'ik the Liar

Dinner is Served- Find the fork of Horripulation and use it to kill the previous owner.

Weak Point For Massive Damage- Find and defeat the giant enemy mudcrab.

People Can Fly- survive the use of an Icarian Flight Scroll.

Bugs on my skin- Develop an addiction to Skooma and endure the withdrawal symptoms.

Martin? Is That You?- Summon a dragon to defeat your enemy when you health becomes critical.

This is more or less what I meant by the OP. I think the grinding achievements are just ridiculous in most games. I also don't believe achievements should be miss-able, forcing you to play part/entire game again.

I will play this game religiously regardless of any achievements. I feel Skyrim will be a unique experience as were TES games before it. I figure it deserves a unique set of achievements that improve your experience. They should never take away from it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The achievements for games like Fallout 3 and Oblivion have been great because of how simple they are. I personally hate the kills with weapons achievmetns that are in many games today, and I particularly don't think they are good for RPG''s. I like their achievments because it is easy to complete their games. You also don't have to worry about missables when playing Bethesda's games. The true fans of Oblivion/Fallout will continue to play past the achievments are done, man.. man... they better or that's just wrong. I plan on doing one playthrough for achievments first and then play some more after that in another plahythrough.:Bounce: