Some tips to make 100% easier (less grinding)

Slackey4318

I just got all the achievements for this and here are some tips for you to prevent grinding achievements after you beat the game.

First, as soon as possible buy clothes that give you a boost in police and triad xp. Also buy accessories (watch, necklace, etc) that increase your face xp. There are guides to tell you what stores have which items to complete the sets.Save your outift that gives you the highest police and triad xps as custom clothes so you can quickly change into them. Also make sure that EVERY outfit you have has accessories that increase face xp (watches, bracelets, necklaces). Now before each mission, just wear the appropriate outfit. Before going to any green missions, switch into your triad clothes. Before doing any blue missions (this includes drug busts), switch into your police clothes. The triad outfits are necessary to get a full level 10, you dont wear triad xp boosting clothes, youre SOL. I had triad boosting xp throughout the entire game (first 5%, switched to 10% as soon as I can, and 15% when I reached level 6 face) and it took until the very last mission to get a full 10 triad levels while the police and face meters were full well before the last mission. On a related note, do all the drug busts and races you see before doing triad (green missions) so you can get your face meter leveled up to 6 quickly and can use the 15% triad xp boost outfit for a majority of the game.

Before any drug busts, race or martial arts club, always make sure that you get a massage, as this will increase your face xp immensely.

Also, as soon as you can afford a Class A CAR from the car store at Kennedy Docks, buy it! Use this to drive around everywhere. Set it as your valet vehicle so this is the car that gets delivered to you. This will save you a lot of grinding for the Reckless Driver stat.

Make sure you get the Master Negotiator clothes set before you buy cars. Really, I say save buying cars until after the game so you can buy the master negotiator set and you can go to any car store and buy out everything before moving to the next car store and doing the same. There are only, I believe, 4 car stores so traveling to them wont take long. The only ones you need to buy for the actual game is a class A car, a class A motorcycle, and a Class B car. This opens up all the races. Save buying the rest until later.

Also, as soon as you get a chance to call a girl and take her on a date, do it so you can see everything you need to collect. That way, you can pick off collectibles throughout the game. Going to a mission on the other side of the map? Set a waypoint and grab collectibles that happen to be in (or around the vicinity) of your path. Make a habit on doing this for every time you drive so by the end of the game, you should have most collectibles without going too much out of your way for them.

The game is interesting in that when you load a save, you dont start where you saved, but at your apartment/house. Use this to your advantage. For example, when you do a drug bust, hacked the camera and need to go back to your place for surveillance, dont bother driving (unless you really want to in order to work on that reckless driving stat). Just save, load your save and your automatically home to complete the mission. Theres a couple of lockboxes where you have to take a boat or swim to access them. After you pick up those hard to get lockboxes, just save and reload your save to end up back home rather than driving a boat (or swimming) back to civilization.

Gun Nut achievement - Make sure to shoot someone, pick up his weapon, and shoot someone again. repeat. This should get you the achievement before the game. Also, during the Civil Discord mission, as soon as you enter the Golden Koi, there is an assault rifle on the counter that has no attachments; make sure to pick this weapon up and use it!

AS FOR COMBAT, find as many jade statues as you can early (two of them will be story related and wont be accessible until you get to those missions) and go straight for the leg Breaker move. Now, when you want to dispose of foes quickly, just press B to grapple them, do the Leg Breaker move, they'll be stunned and kneeling with their back to you, quickly press B,B to instantly kill them. Grapple, Leg Breaker, press B,B = Foe dead in less than 2 seconds. Plus, this also counts towards your Ninja stat. This is a really helpful strategy to quickly beat the martial arts clubs.

Random events- If you come across them during the game (youll know its a random event when youre driving by and suddenly a yellow marker appears on your map), obviously do them, but don't go hunting for them. That's wasted energy. Wait until after you beat the game to go looking for these. They appear more frequently after you beat the game. BUT, make sure to keep track of which ones you do encounter. There are guides around this forum to tell you the locations of where they occur and what type of event they are. That way, when you are actively searching for them after the game, youll know which ones to look for and where to search.

Gambler stat - Dont bother with Mahjong as it will take you forever! Just go to Kennedy Docks and bet on the cockfighting there (100K each bet). If you win, SAVE. Again, dont actively try for this until you get your apartment in kennedy (happens when you progress through the story). That way you can save when you win or can load your save when you lose and the drive back will be short. As for which to bet on, by all accounts, it's random who wins. But for me, the one who wins the first fight will usually win the next couple of times as well. So bet on your color preference (I always chose the underdog myself), and if they win, save your game and bet on that color again. Repeat until they lose. If your color choice lost the first bout, choose the other color next bout. Again, take that advice with a grain of salt.

Edited by Slackey4318

• 7 months later...