Achievement Guide

Teh Paralyzer

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/1865/-RcSqw==.jpgA Rock and a Hard Place 50 http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/site/gp-g.png

Outmaneuver the rampaging beast, El Gigante

i think that this achievment has to be done by the second approach because it say "A Rock" and "Outmaneuver" when i think back i know that i loved it in this section to direct the giant under the rocks and shoot the wooden things so that the rock crushes on his head i loved this game i played through it 9 times or so on my cube can't wait for this to be out

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a few things I'd like to add in:

Overview:

- Estimated achievement difficulty: 4/10 (provided you use Ashley's Suit of Armor costume for Professional)

- Offline: 12 (1000:gsicon:)

- Approximate amount of time to 1000:gsicon:: 10-15 hours

- Minimum number of playthroughs needed:2 (Professional is unlocked after completing the game once)

- Number of missable achievements: One ("What are they worth?")

- Do cheat codes disable achievements?: No cheats

- Does difficulty affect achievements: Yes ("A Heart of Steel")

- Glitchy achievements: N/A

- Unobtainable achievements: N/A

I listed it as 10-15 hours based on the casual gamer. If you run through maybe collecting less than 50% of the treasure, don't kill every single Ganado you see and only upgrade some of your weapons to max you can be done with your first playthrough in roughly 5-8 hours. If you take your time, that could reach MAYBE over 10. Regardless, you would then have to complete Seperate Ways which could take anywhere from 3-6 hours and THEN complete Professional mode afterwards.

I mainly played the Gamecube version and as I remember, Professional Mode was unlocked AFTER completing the game normally. I don't remember from the Wii version nor have I played the PS2 version (I owned the PC but never played it), so maybe they might have changed it to where Professional is available from the getgo. But for an easier time, it's recommended to take this path.

-Play through the main game, unlocking the 9 story achievements and try to knock out the "What Are They Worth?" achievement in this run.

-Play through Seperate Ways to unlock "S is for STYLISH!!" and obtain Ashley's Suit of Armor

-Play through Professional with Ashley in the suit of armor. Reasons that this is beneficial:

1.)Ashley is immune to all damage. There are VERY few ways to actually kill Ashley while she is in the armor and all of these are through exploits of in game sequences. I believe one of these is leaving her to be killed by the moving drill machine in Chapter 3 or 4 (I can't recall which)...but I may be wrong, it is possible she might actually just be pushed forward by the machine (like physically through the gate). Anyways, no enemy can hurt her and that's what counts in Professional. This includes El Gigante that attempt to pick her up and squeeze the life out of her, no damage will befall her (correct me if I'm wrong, of course).

2.)The suit of armor that she's wearing is EXTREMELY heavy. One of the main problems in the main game is when Ganados constantly try to carry her off, well this isn't possible anymore (especially during the sequence where you have to snipe Ganados going after her in the Castle). As soon as any ganado picks her up, they'll fall flat on their ass and drop Ashley immediately. In fact, you can stand back and watch as two Ganados constantly try to pick her up only to fail every time.

3.)You do not have to bother healing her, at all...this means that all health items you have on you can be saved for Leon only. This will help especially considering how few hits it takes to kill Leon in Professeional. In fact, you can virtually ignore her aside from puzzles. No longer do you ahve to hide her from enemies, worry if some are going after her...in fact, she acts as a strategic way to LURE enemies in so you can pick them off with your knife.

I played all 4 versions. The Wii version is best. If the game is like the wii version (minus the point and get easy shots with the wii remote) your road map is correct. Please make a few edits on it when the game comes out. I will add it in.

apollogies for double post

correct me if i'm wrong but don't you have to fight El Gigante before the choice bit and won't the achievement be for that instead seen as there in chronological order instead of the latter one

you kill the first one on the way back from the lake in the trapped area where if you let the dog go it comes to your aid

Exactly. This is what I thought. If the achievements are in the story order, then that one is the one where you have to fight him, where the Ganados free him and then got killed by the El Gigante himself.

We can't really tell which one is but the evidence point that our suggestion is probably the correct one.

Incorrect. You KILL him first then later run from a second one.

Read up http://residentevil.wikia.com/El_Gigante

Edited by Teh Paralyzer

Note: Assuming that the game wants you to exit through the door at the end of the Right path for the achievement to pop, it's recommended to probably take the Left Path first to pick up all the goodies. Alternatively, there is a typewriter just outside of both of the paths...if you save before going for the achievement and letting it pop, you can simply reload in order to score a kill on the Gigante afterwards. Then you can take the left path if you choose, it's all according to preference.

I can confirm that the first El Gigante fight is near the middle of 2-1. After Leon passes out in the Cabin upon defeating Del Lago, you'll make your way back to the village coming across the first El Gigante of the game in an area you visited previously near the end of 1-3. This fight offers no rocks aside from it technically being in a Quarry, so killing this Gigante has little to no relation to the achievement:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/1865/-RcSqw==.jpgA Rock and a Hard Place 50 http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/site/gp-g.png

Outmaneuver the rampaging beast, El Gigante.

After 2-2 (in which you and Luis defend the cabin from a Ganado invasion), you'll start up 2-3 and be outside of the cabin. There is a lever that can be pulled to open one of two paths leading to a large number of Ganados plus the Bella Sisters (female equivalent to Dr. Salvador, basically two chainsaw wielding maniacs) or to a large open area, seemingly empty only to reveal a El Gigante chasing after you. Regardless, both paths have a key somewhere within the level (located within a building on the Right path, the El Gigante path...and on one of the Bella Sisters, for the Left path).

Basically the achievement describes "outmanuevering" the Gigante, it doesn't say anything about killing him. In all honesty it's possible to get every important item (including treasures) in this area without killing him, you just have to be very fast and know where things are (meaning don't chase after a green herb in a hut if you don't need it). But the focus of the achievement appears to be outmanuevering him which is tricky to do if you don't slow him down with the boulder above.

So basically for this achievement, I assume what needs to be done is focus on the very first door you come across, blowing off the chains (a shutgun or explosive such as a grenade works best, knife takes several swings which you don't have time for)...then turn around and search for the boulder above.

You will see a wood support holding the bolder in place, that the red dot from your aiming sight will land on...you'll want to shoot this (not yet). There are two ways to slow down the Gigante with the boulder, the first (and most efficent way) is to wait until he's JUST before where the boulder is so that when you shoot the support, it will land ontop of its head. This will buy you anywhere from 10-20 seconds to turn around and shoot the chain off the next door (from memory, I can't remember if there's a second door here or not x.x) The other method is to shoot the support, causing the boulder to land in front of the Gigante...it will take maybe less than 5 seconds for it to stop, wind up its fist and destroy the boulder...giving you only a short amount of time to continue on your way.

Regardless, clearly the best option is using the boulder to hit the Gigante. After busting open the door, you'll want to run into the cabins searching for the Old key (along with picking up extra items along the way). When you've found it, if enough time persists you can search above this area for a bucket hanging overhead. Shoot it to reveal a treasure that you can sell for some Pesetas later. If however the Gigante is on your tail, it's faster to now just use one of your Flash Grenades on it. This will cause it to be stunned for about 10 seconds, giving you more than enough time to make it to the end of the area (and shoot the chains off another door if there is one). Simply open the door at the end and the achievement should pop (if the theory persists that you don't KILL the gigante).

EXTRA NOTE: If for some reason killing this Gigante also triggers the achievement to pop, there are several easy methods to insure a quick defeat:

1.) Use the boulder, then fire on the Gigante until the Plagas is revealed. You can then either shoot it or climb on it's back, knife swinging (your choice). Rinse and repeat til death. Flash grenades work wonders here too, if you have them USE THEM.

2.) If you have enough Pesetas on hand, buy up the rocket launcher from the merchant. As soon as the beast appears, one rocket should be enough to kill it. If for some reason it doesn't die, use the boulder to finish it off and/or blast away at the plagas on it's back for a quick kill.

Special Note for Professional: Let the Gigante pick up Ashley in her Suit of Armor, while it's busy trying to kill her (which it can't) you can either fire a rocket at it or shoot it a lot. Your preference, eitherway using her as a lure is beneficial enough to you in order to make the fight easier.

Not recommending to stick all of this in the guide ;>__> considering how lengthy it is. But I'm positive that your description for it is right and you DON'T kill the second Gigante, rather you escape it (possibly having to use the boulder for the achievement as well).

Didnt want to say her name :D Maybe it is story related, but the description says "Ring the bell" and basically you don't ring it with Leon in the beinning, guess we will see it, when the game is released

Dr. Salvador sounds much cooler =(

You have to stand at the end of the balk and shoot ~5 times in the water, then the monster will grant you your wish to die fast :D

I know that the RPG doesnt match in, but i sooo love RE4 and just want to talk about it :> Declare it as tactic or smth

Just remembered that the easiest way to kill Krauser is to dodge his attacks (QTE) and knife him afterwards, should kill him in a few seconds

Alternatively, if you stand there for enough time Lago will jump up and eat you. I think it's anywhere from a minute to three minutes standing by the dock, but I didn't shoot the water and it came up after me. Either way works lol.

If you want to save pesetas and create a challenge, kill Verdugo with the knife. It takes figuring out its attack pattern but it's possible to kill Verdugo without taking any damage and using the knife. The only problem is that it takes...20-30 minutes (at least it felt like it for me).

Also regarding achievement order...

Chapter 2-3

At the crossroad where you must pick Right (El Gigante) or Left (Bella Sisters). Pick the Right route and escape El Gigante as fast as you can.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/1865/-PfqOA==.jpgSecure the Ballistics 50 http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/site/gp-g.png

Rescue the president's daughter, Ashley. Afterwards, the real fun begins.

If the Gigante achievement is in fact the one from 2-3, then shouldn't it appear after "Secure the Ballistics" in the list? Or is that how it's officially set up...because if they set it up as such and all the other achievements are in order (storywise)...then maybe we're both wrong and they DO mean the first Gigante fight, which is just before rescuing Ashley.

Edited by TVthePunisher

Or is that how it's officially set up

That's the order the achievement list comes in, leading me to believe defeating the first Gigante is the requirement for the achievement.

Also it's been mentioned that defeating Verdugo is missable, so the missable achievements in the roadmap needs to read 2.

Edited by Veedrock

That's the order the achievement list comes in, leading me to believe defeating the first Gigante is the requirement for the achievement.

Also it's been mentioned that defeating Verdugo is missable, so the missable achievements in the roadmap needs to read 2.

That is very true, as you don't have to kill Verdugo to proceed. The benefit to killing Verdugo is getting his treasure, but even the official guide mentions that if you need to just constantly freeze him and dodge his attacks until the lift arrives, then you can leave.

If I remember correctly you cannot carry over guns to a harder playthrough as in No typewriter for first pro run.

This is wrong actually. Assuming everything is the same as the PS2 version (as it could be different on other systems, I only played the PS2 one) when you beat the game it has you make a save. when you load that save, you start a new game (it lets you pick the difficulty) and you keep all of the stuff and money you ended the last game with (basically its version of a new game+). Anyone remember how you unlock the typewritter in the first place? I remember getting some laser cannon for beating hard and that you could get the hand cannon for 5 staring every mercenaries map with every character (thank god this isn't an achievement cuz its the only think I never managed to unlock since it was crazy hard!)

This is wrong actually. Assuming everything is the same as the PS2 version (as it could be different on other systems, I only played the PS2 one) when you beat the game it has you make a save. when you load that save, you start a new game (it lets you pick the difficulty) and you keep all of the stuff and money you ended the last game with (basically its version of a new game+). Anyone remember how you unlock the typewritter in the first place? I remember getting some laser cannon for beating hard and that you could get the hand cannon for 5 staring every mercenaries map with every character (thank god this isn't an achievement cuz its the only think I never managed to unlock since it was crazy hard!)

The Gamecube and Wii versions had all Round 2, 3, etcs. on the same file as the first game. You couldn't change difficulty =/, you'd have to make a new game and select Professional from there.

To unlock the Chicago Typewriter, you simply have to complete Assignment Ada (a minigame/short non-canonical story where you play as Ada). Different from Seperate Ways btw. Also you had to complete the game before the thing would even open up, could change for this version.

Chapter 2-3

At the crossroad where you must pick Right (El Gigante) or Left (Bella Sisters). Pick the Right route and escape El Gigante as fast as you can.

you fight him in the circle canyon part where the las plagues dude are pulling him out with a rope and get owned by him! dont you think that is what this is refering too?

Edited by bloodkiller15

The Gamecube and Wii versions had all Round 2, 3, etcs. on the same file as the first game. You couldn't change difficulty =/, you'd have to make a new game and select Professional from there.

To unlock the Chicago Typewriter, you simply have to complete Assignment Ada (a minigame/short non-canonical story where you play as Ada). Different from Seperate Ways btw. Also you had to complete the game before the thing would even open up, could change for this version.

who the hell didnt play this on the game cube that what it was ment to be on, and besides hes right round 2 and round 3 was the choices how would u switch the difficulty with this in check?

• 3 weeks later...