Opinions & Thoughts?

Maka

What do you think of this pack?

Personally, I think this is the best Halo map pack in a VERY long time. All the maps are small arena type maps that are very well made for 4v4 slayer and objective gametypes. Nothing confusing, lots of good sightlines and crates to strafe behind. Not to many stupid environmental effects like Low-Gravity or super over-exposure due to light. Just some good ol' maps made for the BR and team games. Nothing fancy, love it.

These maps are made to have some good old fashion halo fun, and this is exactly what I thought Halo 4 was lacking when the game was released. These maps have to re-addicted to Halo, but I honestly though they would have been great if they were available to everyone.

If you're interested in some gameplay and opinions on the map pack, I have made this video for those who want to take a look:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV7xwpf4Mgk]Halo 4 - Majestic Map Pack DLC - Gameplay & Review - YouTube[/ame]

Monolith:

Super simple, small, symmetrical map that's perfect for FFA, Team Slayer and Multi-Team.

Skyline:

Two tiered, small, symmetrical map with good maneuverability. Lots of hallways, entrances, corners and chokepoints. Perfect for CTF, Oddball and Team Slayer.

Landfall:

Indoor + Outdoor map. It's the biggest of the map pack and asymmetrical. Has good sightlines and close quarters combat. Seems good for Oddball, Hill and Slayer variants.

Download this map pack HERE.

Edited by Maka

What do you think of this pack?

Haven't gotten a chance to play on Landfall yet, but I'll edit my post when I do.

Monolith is ok, not in my top 20 but it is noteworthy. I like the symmetrical feel, the man cannons are great, and being able to crouch under those little walls close to the four corners of the inner area is an acceptable way to retreat and break up the action.

Skyline rocks. More arena style than any of the other maps in Halo 4 (still reserving judgment for Landfall).

Personally, I think this is the best Halo map pack in a VERY long time.

REALLY? You didn't like ANY of the Reach DLC?! All of those maps were better than the vanilla ones. Tempest, Anchor 9, Breakpoint, and Highlands kicked ass. Condemned was alright, but I got too distracted looking at the frigates/cruisers going at it in space to care for fighting other players. The Anniversary map pack was great too, but I guess I liked it for the nostalgia factor more than anything else. Glad we got Timberlands (Ridgeline) on consoles for the first time, since it was originally only on Combat Evolved PC.

Or do you mean that it just feels like it's been a really long time since we've had a map pack other than Crimson, since Anniversary was released over 15 months ago? :p

Skyline rocks. More arena style than any of the other maps in Halo 4 (still reserving judgment for Landfall).

I thought Monolith was the most "Arena" type map we've seen in Halo in a very long time. I thought Skyline was probably the weakest of the new maps.

REALLY? You didn't like ANY of the Reach DLC?! All of those maps were better than the vanilla ones. Tempest, Anchor 9, Breakpoint, and Highlands kicked ass. Condemned was alright, but I got too distracted looking at the frigates/cruisers going at it in space to care for fighting other players. The Anniversary map pack was great too, but I guess I liked it for the nostalgia factor more than anything else. Glad we got Timberlands (Ridgeline) on consoles for the first time, since it was originally only on Combat Evolved PC.

Or do you mean that it just feels like it's been a really long time since we've had a map pack other than Crimson, since Anniversary was released over 15 months ago? :p

I think there have been very few good map packs. I have a very "pure" taste when it comes to Halo. I hate hate hate maps like Anchor 9 (Halo: Reach) that have "low-gravity" zones, as well as maps like Wreckage (Halo 4) that have way too much light exposure and visual effects going on. These things in my opinion take way too much away from the actual gameplay. I want a very simple map when it comes to visuals and layout. A map that will support multiple play-styles and benefit any player that is good at their own play-style. I also love maps that are open, encourage teamplay and discourage camping.

The only good map packs, worth downloading, in my opinion, have been:

Halo 3 - Heroic Map Pack

Halo: Reach - Anniversary Map Pack (for nostalgia)

Halo 4 - Majestic Map Pack

There have been a few maps in other packs worth playing, that were spoiled by the other maps in the pack.

REALLY? You didn't like ANY of the Reach DLC?! All of those maps were better than the vanilla ones. Tempest, Anchor 9, Breakpoint, and Highlands kicked ass. Condemned was alright, but I got too distracted looking at the frigates/cruisers going at it in space to care for fighting other players. The Anniversary map pack was great too, but I guess I liked it for the nostalgia factor more than anything else.

Ew dude, Anchor 9 and Breakpoint were trash! But Highlands is in my top 5 favorite DLC Halo maps of all time.

Overall, - I'll keep it short - I really dig this map pack. Probably the best between Halo Reach's DLC's and the Crimson DLC. I haven't played Landfall yet but I'll keep playing this week and test it out. Monolith is almost perfect and Skyline isn't as good as I was expecting, but it still plays really well.

Here's hoping Castle will be great but I already have a feeling that they're all going to be big maps :(

Honestly I have not enjoyed a map pack this much since the Heroic maps on Halo 3.

Skyline

At first I was taken back by this maps scenery, the views around the map are amazing & the hornet what just randomly appears & watches you fight just makes it even better. Game-play wise I love it, the BR definitely seems to have the advantage over the DMR on this map & Im actually OK with that. CTF seems to be best suited for it but I would love to see how KOTH plays.

Landfall

I had high hopes for this map, don't ask me why but in some area's I am reminded of The Pit from Halo 3. Playing FFA on this map is fun as there is so much space to run around & get an advantage on your opponents...but playing extraction IS better, it was like they made the map with that game-mode in mind & gave it a neutral layout for the other game modes, I just want to see how CTF works

Monolith

Beautiful map & one of the best sky boxes I have ever seen in Halo, but Im not 100% sold on this yet. I love the man-cannons & how they can get you out of trouble fast, but this map seems to be designed with the more "MLG" type gamers in mind, I do like it but it's just not something I would play if I had a different option.

Overall, - I'll keep it short - I really dig this map pack. Probably the best between Halo Reach's DLC's and the Crimson DLC. I haven't played Landfall yet but I'll keep playing this week and test it out. Monolith is almost perfect and Skyline isn't as good as I was expecting, but it still plays really well.

Here's hoping Castle will be great but I already have a feeling that they're all going to be big maps :(

Agreed on the points in the first paragraph.

Yeah, Castle looks like 2 huge maps, and 1 larger map with a ton of different rooms. Kind of disappointed. That's what happens when they design these things when the game launches and not after community feedback.

Honestly I have not enjoyed a map pack this much since the Heroic maps on Halo 3.

That's EXACTLY what I said in my video. Best map pack since Heroic in Halo 3!

Yeah, Castle looks like 2 huge maps, and 1 larger map with a ton of different rooms. Kind of disappointed. That's what happens when they design these things when the game launches and not after community feedback.

Based off the concept art alone, they don't even look that good in my opinion. Daybreak looks nice, but it looks almost identical to Harvest. Like you said, they should have just waited for feedback on the launch maps to see how the community reacted to their "love" of larger maps. Well...two more months and we'll find out, lol.

i think this DLC was a step up from the crimson pack. i really like these maps, the size of them aren't too small but aren't too big either. landfall is amazing, easily one of my favorite maps in Halo 4 right now. monolith is alright, but it does remind me of classic Halo maps (it has that small, symmetrical feel to it). skyline, it really depends. some games i like it and others i hate it.

but overall, like i had said, its a step up from crimson.

Ew dude, Anchor 9 and Breakpoint were trash!

Still liked 'em better than the maps on disc. Spire's an exception though, for Invasion purposes. Speaking of Invasion, that's gotta make a comeback in Halo 4 - maybe make it a rotational playlist. I miss playing Invasion/Invasion Slayer. One of the few things I liked in Reach.

#Hopes4Halo4Invasion

#Outcast

None of the current maps in Halo 4 would be good for Invasion, save for forged maps on Impact and Erosion.

I'm off to rile up some people and demand 343i make an Invasion playlist.

I just love how all those LVL130s show up, have rubbish K/D-ratio in their service records and generally just suck at playing Halo 4. They just wanted quick EXP and 'be first', first. And as soon as something new appears, they all blossom up like fungus and I have lots of fun owning them.

On a side note: The new maps are fun and I like small maps. The design is decent and the color palette is not too boring/gritty/brownish. A decent map pack, but not the very best ever. Maybe the very best ever in a Halo 4 game, but that's not hard to accomplish (;

The new maps are pretty good. They're still lacking that 'oomph' that Halo 4 suffers from and I think I've pinpointed it. The environment is too static. I realized this playing Landfall last night. Nothing moves. In Halo 2, 3, and Reach prop vehicles on a map would've been destroyable, movable, etc... In Halo 4 you can't blow them up, you can't nudge them around, and you can't even break in the windshield. None of the other props move either, though kudos to Skyline for bringing back Fusion Cores. Pretty sure it's the only map to have them so far in H4. I've noticed on a lot of maps that rounds don't even show up on the walls, which is really an element killer for me.

Anyway, in contrast to the other maps, they're pretty good. I love the life in the backdrop (though I would like to point out that Skyline is Canonically flawed. Humanity doesn't have flight-based highways...) and the layouts of all the levels are nice for the most part. Monolith is a little too open the way it's been built (I personally think it would be fun for Grifball with a few minor removals.) Landfall is a blast for Objective games and Skyline is a blast for Slayer. Both of the latter maps would be a lot of fun with Swat, so I hope they crop up in the Swat playlist soon.

Need to turn down/off the rocket spawns. 343 is really appeasing the noobs right now.

This is classic Halo. When both teams actually push for rockets, it's not about being a noob.

I just love how all those LVL130s show up, have rubbish K/D-ratio in their service records and generally just suck at playing Halo 4. They just wanted quick EXP and 'be first', first. And as soon as something new appears, they all blossom up like fungus and I have lots of fun owning them.

You must have forgot that level in H$ have nothing to do with skill. We'll have to wait until April to get actual values to represent our skill. Literally, the higher levels mean nothing, especially when most people get there eating doritos, and using the double xp.

None of the other props move either, though kudos to Skyline for bringing back Fusion Cores. Pretty sure it's the only map to have them so far in H4.

Landfall also has fusion cores on the inside of the facility.

You're implying that SR130's are or should be better than players of a lower SR -- no, that's not how it works. Don't be silly.

I'm thinking that people who have reached LVL130 already don't only have lots of time (and Doritos) in their hands, but also seemed to got those EXP from Spartan Ops (judging from their service records and playing time in this mode). When they go online (and I don't mean every single one) in matchmaking, they seem to get their ass kicked more than people who are <100 or <80. It might be a very blunt thing to say, but that's what I experienced from matches. I know, the level doesn't represent skill.

And now that the DLC is out, all those 130 come up again - I've never seen that many 130 in one game, to be honest. Usually, in BTS, it's maybe two or three, tops. But in a 4v4 game with Majestic DLC? Probably four to five of them. Relatively more compared to usual BTS.

They might be hanging around other game modes, I don't know. Since I don't play that often, I cannot say for sure. But in my playing time, I experienced it that way.

I'm not implying anything with that said. I just love the irony of people having so many kills and deaths (more K than D, or almost as much) and that much playing time and they all come out of their holes as soon as something new arrives (like DLC), where they get their asses kicked pretty regularly. As I said: That's what I have experienced now.

I know that the level doesn't represent skill, but seeing the service record tells me a few things about the player.

Has to be my favourite map pack in any game since the mythic map pack from Halo3. Really love the maps. Skyline is maybe slightly to small, and people are tremendously stupid with thier weapon choice. People are still trying to do the tired tactic of hiding and popping up with the (still slightly annoying) Boltshot. Not that big an issue. Love of em ^^