How Long Does the Xbox 360 Have Left?

Ryan Jones

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was news of them looking for people to work on their next console. So I say 2014 or 2015, we'll hear something next years E3 I bet.

I would say 7 more years at least, just on the estimate that the games are still slightly improving.

Games are starting to hit the cap of what they can put out now. Gears 3 will be the max of what a game can do(On a 360), so they can only ride on that for so long. They need to at least start thinking of new console by the end of this year and have them out in 2015.

Yeah, I'm hoping they stick with the 10 year console lifespans. Making the switch is always such a hassle, because you either are an early adopter and risk getting the wrong console (we all know that there are better and worse consoles each gen, even if that differs for each person), or you wait and miss out on a year or two of the next gen :(

I guess ultimatley it has as long to live as people want it to (if that makes sense?? lol)

What I mean is that people still go out and buy second hand NES etc because they enjoy playing them. Fair enough there is nothing in production as far as thats concerned but the 360 wont cease to be used just becuase something new is out - I do btw see the point in which your making.

I forget the specifics but I read on here in one thread that M$ are advertising for some new staff that would seem to indicate them laying out the groundwork for their next project. I know thats little to no use to anyone thats not read it but it would seem to tie in with their 10 year plan for the console.

I guess another factor is how long games (if at all) are developed for when the next console arrives. PS2 games are still released even though the PS3 has been around for a while now.

I think we can safely say that the 360 isn't in its twighlight yet.. late teens with a view to starting a family perhaps... :D

Not long hence why I switched to PC gaming.

I'll play it when the ME3, Forza 4 and a couple others I can't remember are out.

Kinect was probably their extension strategy to increase the life span, I didn't think it'd work but it did

I'd agree that there's as much as 4 years left in the 360's lifespan. However, I think we'll only see AAA titles for another 2 years or so; after this point developers will start saving their big money makes for the next generation.

More than enough time to see the 360 get new versions of Halo and Gears, and about a half dozen editions of CoD.

im gonna go with the 10 year anniverasry too.

also even when a new console comes out, i can still picture games coming out for this as they do now for the ps2. the 360 is the ps2 of this generation and the ps3 is the xbox of this generation. it sounds strange but if you just think about it it makes sense. ps3's aren't as popular in the western world as 360's.

also the same comparison can be made. ps3 was the new kid on the block with more power, just like the original xbox.

however since ps2 is the best selling console ever(i think - its at least very close) even though 360 is successful it may not share the same longevity during the next generation.

I want a newer console already... not sure why people are happy with the 360 as it is... games take to long to load, graphic textures don't load fast enough...graphics could be much better overall...psychics in games could be much better...need better hardware for all that. So...sooner the better : )

m$ is already workin on another console, called xbox720.. suppose to be out around 2014 i believe.. the guys isentuamessage or whatever its called were talking about it..

if thats not a joke on your part that's just a sad fail from m$. as if an entire electronics company cannot come up with a better name than the xbox 720. jeez...

There's a few more years yet before a successor appears. The Kinect has managed to breathe life into the 360 and that'll take it up to the point where Microsoft could announce a new console and keep the hype going.

The problem is the fact that the 360 has reached it's peak in terms of power. Many games are already starting to look better on the PC, if I could afford to buy new a new Graphics Card, Processor and anything else that I might need every 18 months or so I personally would ditch my 360 sooner rather than later.

Developers really need to start looking at how they can get the most out of their games, and the fact that they're limited to DVD's makes the task very constricted.

Edited by PhantomNemesis