The giant and the storm (privateer mission)

MRCTECH4

Ok this helped in another thread so I will repost it here to try and help people, it seemed to work for a lot of people so I hope I've struck thunder here.

Alright I'll go over how I did it since I don't trust people's advice on the internet as law. Once I got used to my method I could reveal weak points about 95% of the time reliably. What I did was start with the chain shot to make them stop, which is important. Then after all 3 are dead in the water I sailed in front of them, but a little to the right or left so I could still see their sides.I used HEAT ROUNDS and aimed the volley square at the front of their ship, but the side of the front. Either side of the ship doesn't matter just aim most of your firing line at the front end-side of the ship. Now I know people use round shot, but apparently you have to be very accurate and sometimes more than once. With heat shot you just let that baby fly and in one quick shot the weak point is exposed.

I won't lie to you, getting your firing position lined up can be rough, but once you get used to it it's not so bad. OH I almost forgot, since the sea is so wavey for the love of god make sure you are almost level with the ship when you fire. If you are too high it may hit their deck instead of the front-side portion. If you slam their deck with the heat shot volley then you pretty much have to retry. So line up your shot, take your time, and be as level as you can get. Once I figured out all 3 of these steps I got it my first go, and it helped me immensely for the full synch on Sequence 11 memory 1. I wish you the best of luck because this is a tough one.

Lol..... At all of the above fullstop.

Firing on any Frigate with an extra cannon sinks it with every shot but chainshot and with the storm and waves are rolling, a chainshot is not always accruate. This mission is also on a timer.

I will repeat the easiest tactic with Frigates is simply ramming them with a ram. Ramming them at the front tip or from a side towards their front tip, and in the same ram you can fire the hand cannon and sink in seconds. Do not ram twice. The MAN OF WAR fire an upgrade grapeshot at it's front tip or ram using the same method then fire the hand cannon. You can do this and still have over half the mission completion time left..... Try to not have the upgraded ram at this point as Frigates are whimps...

Edited by Shabba

Lol..... At all of the above fullstop.

Firing on any frigate with an extra cannon sinks it with every shot but chain and with the storm and waves are rolling a chainshot isn't always accruate. This mission is also on a timer.

I will repeat the easiest tactic is simply ramming them with a ram. Ramming them at the front tip or from a side at towards their front, and in the same ram you can fire the hand cannon and sink in seconds. Do not ram twice. The MAN OF WAR fire an upgrade grapeshot at it's front tip or ram using the same method then fire the hand cannon. You can do this and still have over half the mission completion time left..... Try to not have the upgraded ram at this point as frigates are whimps...

How about you actually try it first. Also you lying or just wrong because this mission is not on a timer by any stretch of the imagination. I wrote this for this thread http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=397530 and it worked for people there.

I find it upsetting that on a site that is designed to help people with advice on acquiring achievements that you would dismiss a tactic so out of hand. Besides this tip was written for people who have fully upgraded ships, since most people have the ram anyway. The ram tactic is so unpredictable that it is ludicrous.

Are you mad? You start with them sailing towards your position and you towards them. Is it so hard to line up your boat with the improved rudder and with a full sail to ram them and in that same ram fire the hand cannon?

Your tactic is total chance if you fire a chain shot and the cannons hit with the storm and waves, then if the boat stops you can blow it up. You would do this in seconds with the ram try it.

Apologises I was thinking of another similiar sync with blowing up frigates via the powder keg on a timer. The ram tactic works to well......

Edited by Shabba

It's not chance it's patience. I'm trying to cut down on people playing this mission over and over for this. Chain shotting the masts is just timing. The mission once I figured it out took me about 7 minutes to do, some people have reported doing this over 50 times, and sometimes when they ram a boat it just dies. A focused fire heat shot will not destroy a man of war or frigate in one volley even with the extra cannon. Sure maybe mine is a bit slower but it's far more consistent than ramming.

I really cannot understand how you play at all?

7 minutes to do this mission are you serious? It takes less then 3. The Frigates sink if you ram them twice. This isn't ramming once then turning and ramming again. This ramming at the front or side and as that Frigate is moving you hit it again.

So the way to prevent this is kill in the same ram with a hand cannon shot. Aim at the tip of The Frigate when you ram, the hand cannon has a big red target almost as big as your screen fire quickly boomboom. Every Frigate sinks off any upgraded cannon volley a grapeshot, heat, or normal. I don't know how you fire your cannons mine I get as close as I can and make sure the full broadside hits. A MAN OF WAR has even been destroyed off a single heat volley.

Edited by Shabba

I really cannot understand how you play at all?

7 minutes to do this mission are you serious? It takes less then 3. The Frigates sink if you ram them twice. This isn't ramming once then turning and ramming again. This ramming at the front or side and as that Frigate is moving you hit it again.

So the way to prevent this is kill in the same ram with a hand cannon shot. Aim at the tip of The Frigate when you ram, the hand cannon has a big red target almost as big as your screen fire quickly boomboom. Every Frigate sinks off any upgraded cannon volley a grapeshot, heat, or normal. I don't know how you fire your cannons mine I get as close as I can and make sure the full broadside hits. A MAN OF WAR has even been destroyed off a single heat volley.

I'd like to see a video of that then because that's simply not true. If you could kill them in one volley then a ram will kill them in one hit. Besides MANY PEOPLE have said that with an upgraded ram the ships just sink immediately. Besides I know how to shoot the powder stores. I have never seen anyone do this mission with 100% synch in 3 minutes. Please show me a video where it happens and I'll believe you.

Go read the thread I linked people found my idea helpful. Read both threads and see how many people saying that ramming is unreliable.

• 2 weeks later...
I tried my own ways, swallowed my pride, and this is the best approach, as already suggested.

So I confirm it:

1. Use chain-shots to stop the ships.

2. Ram the bow (front) of the ships gently (meaning hit the brakes just before ramming), until the powder reserve is exposed.

3. Quickly us snipe-cannons (LT) to take it out.

This worked perfectly !

My ship is fully upgraded. But I used chain shot to stop all three. then circled each ship and ram the front of it gently. You have to do it gently, just a little push and the white circle wil appear

the ramming technique totally works. Was intensely frustrated, came here for advice. You'll need chain shot and swivel gun--nothing else. Just DON'T USE YOUR CANNONS AT ALL. You don't even need an upgraded ram. I didn't use one.

1) clear away all the little ships at the beginning. Grapeshot is very useful here.

2) head straight for the ships. Take cover when the big wave hits.

3) One of the frigates will be coming straight for you. Ram it head to head.

4) the weak point should be exposed now. Use swivel gun to take it out.

5) Don't worry too much about taking damage. Just take cover when appropriate, but stay on ramming course.

6) You should have the man-of-war and the frigate left. The other frigate will be greatly weakened if you got unlucky.

7) Use chain shot to destroy their masts. This should be pretty easy for you--if not, just keep practicing. You'll get it.

8) Take out the other frigate first. Since it's dead in the water now, line up a ramming course to the front of it. Slow down and then stop just before you get there. After the collision the weak point should be visible. Take it out. If the other frigate was still alive after the first point of contact, repeat this step to take it out, but be extremely careful and slow as the damage you did earlier makes it very vulnerable.

9) Now comes the harder part. You may need to ram the man-of-war two or three times to expose the weak point. Use the swivel gun on the front of the ship from time to time to weaken the front hull. Take cover when necessary as the MoW can do some devastating damage.

10) Use the same slowing technique as before. After a few rammings the weak point in the MoW will be exposed. Swivel it down and voila.

This worked perfectly !

My ship is fully upgraded. But I used chain shot to stop all three. then circled each ship and ram the front of it gently. You have to do it gently, just a little push and the white circle wil appear

That strategy you posted worked LIKE A CHARM for me as well and like you I had a fully upgraded Aquila.

• 1 month later...

This was a really difficult optional objective which took me ages. So basically I destroyed every ship's sails with the chain shot first. Try to do it so they are not to close to each other because they can still fire cannons. What I did with the smaller ships was ram them. But just before I hit the ship I cut to no sail and hit it. Then after I went to half sail and hit it again. If this doesn't reveal the powder store do it again but with the same method. And for the big ship go up to the front of the ship and have half of the cannon ray on the front quarter of the ship. Do this with the normal shot. And continue to do this until it reveals the powder store. Hope this helps and remember take your time. Also this challenge can suck my dick

• 2 weeks later...

At the start of the objective, when the three ships are coming towards you, you can frontally ram the Man of War with full sail. For me this immediately exposed the weak spot without destroying it. So you can shoot the storage right away and easily deal with the Man of War.

Then only the two weaker ships are left to deal with. For those I used the method using the sling shot to destroy their sails. When they are still in the water gently ram the front, going in half sail and hit stop a bit before impact. I actually had to ram them twice this way to expose the storage.