How does this link the 2 together?

iNSANiTY

Thats why its always hard when they have new characters as its pretty difficult to bridge gaps between two games when they've changed the main character and the area as its hard to link two different games together in terms of how the last one ends and how the new one starts.. But it still would have been nice if they had a cutscene of what happened after dead rising 1 and how chuck greene comes into it, Ie Shows the virus spreading from Wallarmate (Spelling?) to where chuck greene lives, his wife biting their daughter katey, and how they escape to Stillwater Creek. But hey Dead rising isnt really known for its story is it now. Perhaps Capcom have got something special in line for Frank West at some point in the timeline or maybe even planning a dead rising 3.

Thats why its always hard when they have new characters as its pretty difficult to bridge gaps between two games when they've changed the main character
No, not really.

Sorta hard to tell what happened to Frank when there was like, six different possible endings.
Capcom owns the series, therfore all they have to do is pick whichever ending they like and make it "canon" and then they can easily decide what had happened to Frank.

Canon means that it's relevant to the plot. If it isn't canon, then it didn't happen as far as anyone is concerned.

It's the same back story that every zombie series has ever had, there was never a need for linking them unless your OCD gives you an undying need to connect a game with a 2 in front of it with the previous game even though both we're deliberately made to be distinctly different in both story arc and characterization. Besides, a sequel is just a safe way to make more money based on an already popular series and to improve upon the faults of the last one, that seems like a good enough link to me.

I'm pretty sure the two games are connected by the lil girl. She looks alot like the lil girl in the car with her mom in the very beginning intro in the car surrounded by zombies in Dead Rising 1. I think the mom got killed, plus the lil girl asks her dad why did mommy bite me? So I'm pretty sure there's your connection.

Wasn't this supposed to bridge the gap between DR1 and DR2?

I thought it was going to do that 2 but who knows?

Maybe its all like if you really think about it this is how they are connected.

Didnt little kids start the out break and maybe by his little girl taking the cure she will make a cure for it with her blood or something

Frank bit Chuck's wife, who was a journalist intervewing him about his experience at the mall. At age 2 Katey was then bitten by her mom. Chuck was forced to kill his own wife, and rush to a hostpial or somehwere they sell Zombrex and to raid it, which is why he has so many around. He met his wife because he was a mechanic turned racer who was being interviewed frequently. The name on his car and jacket are his sponsorship, suggesting the family was at least somewhat wealthy. The reason it's 3 years later is because they found a safe area to live where there was a decent supply of Zombrex. This is where Case 0 comes in, as he was stopping to get some gas on his way to the new safe area. As the supply was starting to suffer, sociopaths emerge, doing anything they can for Zombrex, including killing others. This leads to easy outbreak and now Chuck must once again, find safety for his daughter amongst the chaos.

That's my guess! Not really.