Achievement Guide

Method

Just wanted to let everyone know that I just finished writing the guide for this DLC. It can be found HERE (post #9). As always feedback is welcome. Thanks to everyone who helped me get input for the guide. I'm placing it in this post as well just in case someone has trouble with the link.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/../images/achievements/1057/UPlxtA0=.jpgBane of Thedas - 25 http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/../images/site/gp-g.jpg

Handed victory to the archdemon by killing Ferelden's last Grey Warden. (Darkspawn Chronicles)

This is the only story related achievement in this DLC and is therefore not possible to miss. The achievement is awarded after you successfully defend the Archdemon at the top of Fort Drakon. See Enthralling for a full DLC walkthrough.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/../images/achievements/1057/s13.jpgOrge's Keeper - 25 http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/../images/site/gp-g.jpg

Keep the initial ogre alive as your thrall throughout the entire module. (Darkspawn Chronicles)

This achievement is fairly easy to unlock if you know what you're doing. If you follow the steps listed under Enthralling, you should unlock this achievement easily. There are really only two points in the DLC that may make this achievement difficult.

- After you separate from your Orge after entering the palace district, some people enthrall the wrong Ogre. The one you want to enthrall is the one standing behind the gate, not the one that appears after the gate is opened.

- The hardest battle to keep the Ogre alive in is the one with Sten, the two Golems and his army of dwarves. Be sure to follow step #7 under Enthralling and you will prevail and your ogre will survive. If you do find yourself in trouble though, remember that in addition to health poultices, your Hurlock Emissary has a heal spell.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/../images/achievements/1057/s14.jpgEnthralling - 25 http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/../images/site/gp-g.jpg

Earned maximum approval from all thrall types. (Darkspawn Chronicles)

To earn this achievement, you will need to enthrall and earn maximum approval from the following allies:

- Genlock

- Hurlock

- Ogre

- Shriek

- Hurlock Emissary

- Blight Wolf

Approval is earned in two ways. You can get it by either killing enemies or giving gifts. Gifts can be acquired only by looting bosses so be sure to do so, otherwise you'll miss out on easy approval points. Using the steps below, you should be able to get this achievement in one easy playthrough. Thanks to ImmortalLeoman for his help with these. His original post is HERE.

NOTE: I'm not sure whether or not this has to be done in on playthrough or not. However if you follow the steps below, you'll get it in one playthrough easily.

1. When the game begins, a Genlock will appear behind you. Once the objective arrow is above its head, enthrall it. Next run out the gate an enthrall one of the Hurlocks. Fight your way over to the Ogre with the objective above it's head. Enthrall the Ogre immediately and then finish off killing every enemy in this area. By the time you're supposed to go to the Market District, your Genlock and Hurlock should be close to maximum approval. Give whichever one is at higher approval a gift so its bar is at max (my Hurlock was at higher approval so I maxed it out). Enter the Market District.

2. In the Market District, kill your maxed out Hurlock or Genlock and enthrall the Shriek. After you use your Shriek to kill the ballista guards, bring your party back to the beginning of the area. Next, put your party on hold and venture forth with your Vanguard only. Just hang out around the ballistas and you should get a never ending, albeit slow, stream of city guards attacking you. This is the perfect place to max out everyone's approval in your party. Once you've maxed out everyone's approval and killed 10 innocents, allow your party to move freely again. Now you party should be You, Hurlock/Genlock, Shriek and Ogre. Do the quests in this area. The quests are very simple so don't worry about one of your thralls dieing. By the end of this area, your remaining Hurlock/Genlock should be maxed out, if not use a gift. Move on to the Elven Alienage.

NOTE: You don't need to enthrall the Genlock Sapper in this area; just walk him over to the gate.

3. In the Elven Alienage, once you have control of your party, kill your Hurlock/Genlock and enthrall the Hurlock Emissary here. The Hurlock Emissary has the heal power which will help keep your other thralls alive. Do the quests here and set fire to the Alienage's Tree and the oil/rubbish piles. Move on to the Palace District once complete.

4. At the start of the Palace District your Ogre is taken away from you. This is okay and is supposed to happen; you get him back in a little bit. Don't enthrall a fourth party member at this time. Instead, put your party on Hold Position again and go to the right and kill the dwarfs. Like in the Market District, there is a never ending stream of Dwarves to kill here. They come out of the door immediately to the left of the ballista. Once your Hurlock Emissary is at 100% approval, allow your party to move freely again. Now go left up the stairs and fight your way to the two levers. Your Shriek should be near max at this point, and if not give him a gift. Kill the Shriek, and pull the levers to open the gate. Enthrall THE FIRST OGRE AT THE GATE, NOT THE ONE THAT COMES OUT AFTER YOU OPEN THE GATE. If you mess this up your will forfeit the Ogre's Keeper achievement. You will know you have the right one if the one you enthrall has max approval. With that settled, enthrall the Blight Wolf. Your party should now be You, Ogre, Blight Wolf and Hurlock Emissary. Ogre and Hurlock Emissary should be at max so give all your gifts to the Blight Wolf. Go up to the next level and kill the enemies. The Blight Wolf should hit maximum favor at this point.

5. If the Blight Wolf doesn't hit max favor here, bring your party back to the bottom of the stairs and have them hold position. Then run back up to the top of the stairs and fight the never ending stream of Dwarves here until the Blight Wolf is at max.

6. Congrats, you've unlocked Enthralling.

7. After you take out all the enemies at the top of the stairs, bring your party to the left side of the big gate at the top. Kill the dwarves here and then set your party to hold position at the bottom of the stairs. The next battle is the hardest of the DLC so be warned. With your party on hold, slowly creep to the top of the stairs. With any luck one of the golems and some dwarves should attack you and Sten should not be alerted. Kill all these enemies first then allow your party to move freely and then kill rest of the bunch up here. Above all, make sure your Ogre doesn't die!

8. After the battle is over, your Blight Wolf will become "unenthralled." Go to the far right side as you face the end of the area and release and enthrall the Shriek here. Head towards the exit and leave to Fort Drakon. After the cut scene, loot Riordan's body and again leave to the top of Fort Drakon.

9. The battle here is very simple since you have so many reinforcements. Make sure that you just focus on the heroes (especially Alistair) and ignore the other enemies. Use your emissary to heal any party members that are wounded and above all, keep your Ogre alive! After the battle is over, both Bane of Thedas and Ogre's Keeper should unlock.

10. Congrats on beating this DLC!

Edited by Method

I didn't get the Ogre's Keeper achievement even though I made sure that the Ogre I enthralled had max approval. There were 2 Ogres and the one with the max approval had a white "Ogre" name whereas the new one had a yellow "Ogre" name. Even though I did everything as described I didn't get it. Perhaps it is bugged?

I've heard of others having this problem too. Someone posted a possible fix here:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=229757

See if that works for you maybe? Out of curiosity did you finish the module with the Ogre still having an injury? I used an injury kit on mine after I got him to remove the "gaping wound" negative status effect. Maybe if you finish the module and he still has an injury it doesn't count. All these are theories mind you. Let me know what works for you and I'll edit the guide.

Does it corrupt Ogre's Keeper achievement if Hurlock Vanguard dies at some point? Because I played through whole Darkspawn Chronicles keeping Ogre alive, and it didn't unlock for me :( Gonna try it one more time, that's the last DA achievement I need to 100% completion.

Does it corrupt Ogre's Keeper achievement if Hurlock Vanguard dies at some point? Because I played through whole Darkspawn Chronicles keeping Ogre alive, and it didn't unlock for me :( Gonna try it one more time, that's the last DA achievement I need to 100% completion.

It shouldnt courrupt the achievement if you die. I died a few times and I still got it. It should only not unlock if the ogre dies. I hope it will unlock for you.:confused:

Thanks to those involved for the guide, got the achievements in the first playthough.

Had a slight issue with re-enthralling the Ogre at the gate though. Despite maxing it out before it disappears, if found that it's approval was reset when I got it again. At first I thought I was enthralling the wrong ogre but both were the same.

So I stuck with what the guide said and kept the ogre right at the gate, maxed out the approval again and the achievements unlocked as usual.

I've since found on the dragon age wiki that this is a bug apparently, if the ogre's approval is maxed out before it leaves it will reset.

Hopefully this will be of use to anyone who had the same problem :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Great guide helped a lot, thanks.

To those wondering about ogre keeper all my squad died during the fight with Sten except for the ogre and I still got the achievement so the rest of the team do not have to survive in order for the achievement to unlock.

My team was Vanguard/emissory/ogre/blight wolf for those who are wondering.

Edited by Sonic Riptide
spelling

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I've heard of others having this problem too. Someone posted a possible fix here:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=229757

See if that works for you maybe? Out of curiosity did you finish the module with the Ogre still having an injury? I used an injury kit on mine after I got him to remove the "gaping wound" negative status effect. Maybe if you finish the module and he still has an injury it doesn't count. All these are theories mind you. Let me know what works for you and I'll edit the guide.

I didn't get it my 1st playthrough either. I didn't notice the ogre was injured when you get him (til I read this post). The only thing I did diff on my 2nd playthrough was heal his injury and the Achieve popped that time.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I'm at the Market District and I've been sitting here killing enemies for a while, but my approval isn't going up for some reason. No, my approval isn't already maxed out, not even close. I'm thinking it might be because of stupid NPC darkspawn. Any way I can kill them? Also, does the approval bar have to be completely filled, or just until you inspire Massive XX?

Edited by olvidada

• 2 weeks later...
2. In the Market District, kill your maxed out Hurlock or Genlock and enthrall the Shriek. After you use your Shriek to kill the ballista guards, bring your party back to the beginning of the area. Next, put your party on hold and venture forth with your Vanguard only. Just hang out around the ballistas and you should get a never ending, albeit slow, stream of city guards attacking you. This is the perfect place to max out everyone's approval in your party. Once you've maxed out everyone's approval and killed 10 innocents, allow your party to move freely again. Now you party should be You, Hurlock/Genlock, Shriek and Ogre. Do the quests in this area. The quests are very simple so don't worry about one of your thralls dieing. By the end of this area, your remaining Hurlock/Genlock should be maxed out, if not use a gift. Move on to the Elven Alienage.

NOTE: You don't need to enthrall the Genlock Sapper in this area; just walk him over to the gate.

I'm just wondering about something, and I quoted this part because this is where something just happened for me that wasn't said here (and no one else mentioned it in previous posts). If I had my remaining thrall from the first area (that isn't an Ogre), and maxed it out, then it died in this area before I could kill him myself, does that count for Enthralling, or does it only count when I kill it myself?

• 2 weeks later...
I'm just wondering about something, and I quoted this part because this is where something just happened for me that wasn't said here (and no one else mentioned it in previous posts). If I had my remaining thrall from the first area (that isn't an Ogre), and maxed it out, then it died in this area before I could kill him myself, does that count for Enthralling, or does it only count when I kill it myself?

I think after you max the approval you should be fine.