Is multiplayer really necessary?

jmart38

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you never know, it might take away from some of the time put into the Single player ... I'd rather just have another solid single player game.

How do you figure?? The two are completely independent of one another. A completely different studio is going to be developing the multiplayer. There is not going to be any take away from the single player at all.

Multiplayer will ruin Mass Effect? I think someone is over extending their concerns.

Multiplayer won't ruin Mass Effect in any way; it will add replay value for hardcore Mass Effect fans to sink their teeth in. Unless multiplayer sucks (which it won't, since they have a full year to make it) it's not going to ruin Mass Effect as a whole.

Bioware had job postings for multiplayer Mass Effect as far back as early last year so I wouldn't be worried about quality or anything as they obviously started a while ago. The ME3 engine is already done since it is being used for the PS3 version of the second game which means this second team will have plenty of time to work on the game. All of that being said the reason there is multiplayer is to try and keep people from trading their games back in. Publishers (EA) are pushing multiplayer on developers (Bioware) as a way to keep used games sales to a minimum, seeing as only the retail store makes money on used games sales. Combine that with EA's online pass and you have a company that is trying to protect its investments.

Does every game have to have multiplayer now?

OT: If Mass Effect has Co-op I think it would be great I loved Mass Effect 2 and I wondered what it would be like if my friend was to jump in and play as Tali or Legion, etc.

But if Mass Effect 3 has a Vs. mode I would be unsure on how it would work. :s

Does every game have to have multiplayer now?

OT: If Mass Effect has Co-op I think it would be great I loved Mass Effect 2 and I wondered what it would be like if my friend was to jump in and play as Tali or Legion, etc.

But if Mass Effect 3 has a Vs. mode I would be unsure on how it would work. :s

Go here to find out why this is the case.

Bioware have alreeady said there is not going to be multiplayer in ME3 good

cant remember the link though

What they really said was Mass Effect 3 will be a single player experience. They never have stated that there will be no mutliplayer in anything I have seen.

OK so the only problem I could see is if the game would be a deathmatch type. And only that.

There will obiously be some problems in the begining. But the rewarding thing about games that introduce MP is they add to your experience. either positivle or negativly. ( Take ACB for instince.) Some people love it and some people hate it.

But no matter what your stance on its playablility is you deep down know its a realy good addition to an already amazing game.

As for ME3's Multyplayer.

I would like to atleast have 1 original gametype.

Hope to see a multyplayer teaser trailer sometime soon.

Cant wait for this game:)

im gonna go ahead and guess its going to be more of a nazi zombies styled multiplayer from Black Ops, with waves of enemies, or a Pinnacle station styled challenge mode similar to Spec Ops from MW2 that can be played Co-op.

I really just dont see a deathmatch style multiplayer working for a game like mass effect

there are many reason to think that multiplayer will ruin the single player experience. bioshock is the perfect example. B1 was GOTY and one of the highest rated games this gen. B2 added multiplayer and used a separate dev for it. the result? much shorter single player campaign, a campaign which feels the exact same as the first, crappy online graphics, crappy online and overall a game which cant compare to its predecessor.

all the time spent on ME3 should be spent on the campaign and overall experience. just like they did for ME1 and ME2. I've played both mass effect games a lot more than any other game (including online) besides gears of war.

i also find that if multiplayer isn't the best out there then i won't spend much time in it. gears of war is the only multiplayer game i play for fun. every other online game i only play for achievements. assassin's creed has a good online and transformers: WOC was also fun online. but i only played it to get the achievements. i would much rather have a long and remember-able campaign then have a decent online.

dead space 2 looks like another example of unneeded online. DS1 has a great campaign that will always be one of my favourites largly due to its unique and real atmosphere. DS2 online looks like its goning to comeply suck. the graphics are toned down, it doesnt look fun and i'd be surprised if the campaign is just as good as the first.

ME1 and ME2 are both my favourite game of all time without online. i see no reason to beleive that online will make the game any better. i would be open to the idea of a ME spin-off with multiplayer as the focus and a shorter campaign but with ME3 i want Bioware to wrap of the triolgy with the best story and overall game possible. and the only way i see that happening is is multiplayer is left out.

So, i just read over on the PS3 forums that multiplayer will NOT be in the game. They actually had a quote from one of the Bioware guys from the Bioware forum stating that Mass Effect 3 would be a single player game

link please?! Bioware has a way of dancing around direct questions. every time they are questioned about multiplayer they never deny it and say if there were to do they want to do it right. EA also said that they will no longer be a part of any single player only games. It would seem that ME3 is included in that strong statement.

edit: i just read it and all the quote says is "ME3 is a single player game". that means absolutely nothing. of course its a single player game! but that doesn't rule out a multiplayer mode either.

Edited by MASS DOMINATION

there are many reason to think that multiplayer will ruin the single player experience. bioshock is the perfect example. B1 was GOTY and one of the highest rated games this gen. B2 added multiplayer and used a separate dev for it. the result? much shorter single player campaign, a campaign which feels the exact same as the first, crappy online graphics, crappy online and overall a game which cant compare to its predecessor.

all the time spent on ME3 should be spent on the campaign and overall experience. just like they did for ME1 and ME2. I've played both mass effect games a lot more than any other game (including online) besides gears of war.

i also find that if multiplayer isn't the best out there then i won't spend much time in it. gears of war is the only multiplayer game i play for fun. every other online game i only play for achievements. assassin's creed has a good online and transformers: WOC was also fun online. but i only played it to get the achievements. i would much rather have a long and remember-able campaign then have a decent online.

dead space 2 looks like another example of unneeded online. DS1 has a great campaign that will always be one of my favourites largly due to its unique and real atmosphere. DS2 online looks like its goning to comeply suck. the graphics are toned down, it doesnt look fun and i'd be surprised if the campaign is just as good as the first.

ME1 and ME2 are both my favourite game of all time without online. i see no reason to beleive that online will make the game any better. i would be open to the idea of a ME spin-off with multiplayer as the focus and a shorter campaign but with ME3 i want Bioware to wrap of the triolgy with the best story and overall game possible. and the only way i see that happening is is multiplayer is left out.

Agreed 100%. I was going to use the Bioshock 2 example as well. I reckon Deadspace 2 will do a Bioshock 2 - i.e. ruin it. I loved Bioshock but the sequel left a bad taste in the mouth (insert crude joke here lolzrz) and that has affected my opinion on the original BS.

Deadspace 2 will not have an MP to rival COD, Halo, Gears, FIFA etc..

The problem here is EA - their CEO/President or whatever has stated games need MP to do well. Hence why Deadspace 2 has MP and why I think ME3 will have MP. If ME3 does have MP it will last several months. But let's be honest, is ME3 MP going to take precedence over Gears 3 or MW3 next november? I doubt it.

Hopefully Bioware won't let EA ruin the franchise. If they did want to include MP they should have followed the AC route - instead of bundling it with AC3 they released a game in the meantime to see if people enjoyed it, kinda like a beta but where they actually make money. Co-op would be cool though.

ME3 being the conclusion should be much longer than ME1 and ME2, honestly going to earth to take on the reapers??!! Don't forget the side missions. We don't know how the squadmates are going to be used either, if we can still use those that survived the suicide mission - the game could potentially be huge, over several discs, don't forget those players that lost most of the team - they will need new squadmates. But it looks likely none of the ME2 squadmates will be usable in ME3, let's hope Bioware are up to all kinds of epicness and make sure you can play it the way you want with the squad you want - going back to your ME1, ME2 squads or a new squad entirely.

You may of not played it because it is a PS3 exclusive but Uncharted 2 had a longer single player experience then the first game and added multiplayer as well so it can be done. Yes, it is rare when it happens this way but it can happen. Also, Bioware had job postings for people to add multiplayer to Mass Effect early last year. Bioware also has 5 development studios, confirmed in an interview with Dr. Ray himself. Three of those studios will be working on Mass Effect, Dragon Age, and The Old Republic. The fourth studio is referred to as a small games studio by Bioware and they are the one that made the Sonic RPG DS game a few years back. I have no idea what that studio might be working on or what the fifth studio would be working on as Bioware has not given out any information on what they might be doing. It is possible that they left the Mass Effect team to work on the third game and the last studio is working on multiplayer or they could be working on something unrelated.

You may of not played it because it is a PS3 exclusive but Uncharted 2 had a longer single player experience then the first game and added multiplayer as well so it can be done. Yes, it is rare when it happens this way but it can happen. Also, Bioware had job postings for people to add multiplayer to Mass Effect early last year. Bioware also has 5 development studios, confirmed in an interview with Dr. Ray himself. Three of those studios will be working on Mass Effect, Dragon Age, and The Old Republic. The fourth studio is referred to as a small games studio by Bioware and they are the one that made the Sonic RPG DS game a few years back. I have no idea what that studio might be working on or what the fifth studio would be working on as Bioware has not given out any information on what they might be doing. It is possible that they left the Mass Effect team to work on the third game and the last studio is working on multiplayer or they could be working on something unrelated.

I own a ps3 and uncharted 2 but i havent played uncharted 1. I never enjoyed the multiplayer in uncharted 2 but i can see why some people would. I just couldn't get into it.

Naughty Dog made a big jump forward with uncharted 1 to 2 but there are several reason why i worry Bioware can do the same with ME3.

-Bioware had over 2 years to work on ME2 but they have less then 2 years to work on ME3. part of that time was/is spent on porting ME2 over to the ps3 and they also plan to make ps3 version release on the same day as the 360 and PC. that's 2 extra versions of the game in less time.

Plus since ME3 is the final game in the trilogy everyone expects a bigger, longer and higher quality game then ME2.

To make multiplayer from scratch is a a huge undertaking and to make it addicting and one of the best out there to compete with COD, gears 3, uncharted 3, resistance, etc is an even bigger task.

i would much rather have a huge campaign with tons of side missions, loot, customization and overall the best experience yet. i find that a hard thing to do when multiplayer is added. i know there is a good chance of multiplayer being added whether it be standard VS matches or coop but i still hope EA decides not to.

yess definately, if people dont like multiplayer then dont play it. if you complete the story then youv got what you bought the game for, if your still unhappy. why dyu buy the game in the first place

haha, i don't think you understand the seriousness of that statement. Just because i buy a game and complete it doesn't mean i got my money's worth. and with mass effect its so much more than just getting my money's worth. its about experiencing the best game I've ever played. ME3 could easily add on multiplayer and because of it, may only have a "good" campaign. that is what i fear. Even if the campaign is still good, if multiplayer is added then at least a few things that were planned for the campaign are sacrificed.

The large majority of people who will buy ME3 won't be buying the game for the multiplayer. it will be for the top notch story and experience. the same goes for bioshock 2, assassins creed brotherhood and dead space 2. none of those games needed multiplayer and only assassins creed was able to create a decent online. I know dead space 2 isn't out yet but whoever thinks that multiplayer looks good as something else coming. i really doubt anyone will be playing it for weeks straight due to its awesomeness.

ME3 may create a decent online but why would i play it when there are better options out there?

to me, multiplayer shooters are generally all the same. Deathmatch, team deathmatch, CTF, KOTH, maybe a Horde-esque mode. the goal is always the same and the story doesn't matter. so why wouldn't i just play the game with the best gameplay? why play bioshock 2 online when i can play halo or COD? why play some tacked on TPS multiplayer when i can play gears of war? the story is what makes it a new and different experience. if i want to play a game with great campaign I'll play mass effect. if i want to play a game with great multiplayer I'll play gears. they both come out at around the same time so there is no reason for me to spend weeks playing mass effect multiplayer when a better option is sitting right there. I'd rather spend weeks playing mass effect's campaign and using all the different classes, making new choices and changing the story then play a tacked on multiplayer game.

i know its a lot to read lol, but i feel very strongly about how and when multiplayer should be added. adding it on at the end of arguably the best story based trilogy this gen is order to sell more copies is the absolute worst time to do it.

While I agree that Mass Effect 3, if it includes multiplayer, will never be on par with Halo, CoD, or Gears in terms of multiplayer fun, the opposite is also true.

Has any Halo, CoD, or Gears game EVER compared their campaign to Mass Effect? They'd be slaughtered. And yet these VERY successful franchises still include a campaign even when it's clearly not the main focus of the game. Most of us play through the campaign once or twice in these shooters (or until the cheevos are done) and then never touch the campaign again, except for daily challenges in Halo. These are great multiplayer games with an average single player experience (imo of course).

Mass Effect 2 is hands down my favorite 360 title to date. I've played through Mass Effect 1 6 times now, and Mass Effect 2 4 times (more ME1 playthroughs due to cheevos and building characters for ME2). Mass Effect 3, regardless if it includes multiplayer as an option or not, is first and foremost a single player game, and Bioware realizes that. With all the work they've put into the previous two games and all the data they are carrying over from previous saves, I wouldn't worry about ME3 disappointing story-wise.

Sure, lots of single player games have failed when attempting to include multiplayer. Bioshock 2 is a prime example. However, some have done so very impressively. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood is a prime example. I disagree with referring to it as a "beta" for the 3rd game. It is clearly the third installment in the series, as the single player campaign significantly continues the over-arching storyline and improves upon the single player gameplay. Regardless of whether there is a 3 behind it or not, it is not a spin-off/beta.

I have more faith in Bioware than any other company, so if they feel they can implement multiplayer into ME3, then let's do it. I really don't see the campaign suffering at all. To each his own of course. While I thoroughly enjoy the AC:B multiplayer, I can see where some wouldn't. But you can still get a full AC experience by only playing the campaign, and that makes it a success.

Games like Halo, Gears, and CoD essentially tack on a campaign in order to give the universe some life, and then focus on the multiplayer. As long as Bioware focuses on a strong campaign and adds a half-way decent multiplayer, I'm all for it.

Edit: Some people prefer to play the best available option, as you seemingly do Mass Domination. That's great. I myself prefer to play games set in a world I enjoy, even if the quality is lower. Just because something is "better" doesn't mean I necessarily enjoy it more. Even if it is bad, ME multiplayer would probably be one of those things that deep down I truly love. Kind of like those terrible movies we all secretly love and would never admit to anyone :p I'm looking at you Mortal Kombat movies >_<

Edited by BBowles