Collecting Souls/Jackanism FAQ

Q. How do I collect souls?

A. To collect souls you will first need to collect Shrunken Heads found through out each level. After you collect a Shrunken Head you must activate your Jackanism Sword by pressing Left Trigger, Right Trigger and the "A" button, simultaneously. Then, when you attack enemies, you will get their soul.

Q. At what point will I start to see the Shrunken Heads that I need to collect?

A. You will start to see the Shrunken Heads in the second level(Port Royal)

Q. There is a Jackanism Chest in the first level, how will I open it if there aren't any Shrunken Heads in the first level?

A. After you finish a level you will be able be given the option to go back and retry from the "Extras" menu at the start of the game. If you save a game while you have three Shrunken Heads then when you load that save you will still have them, no matter what level you select.

Q. When I activate my Jackanism Sword there is a green explosion around me and it usually kills the enemies, do these kills go towards my soul count?

A. No, unfortunately not. If you are specifically trying to collect souls then try not to activate your Jackanism near the enemies as they will not count.

Q. Besides finding Shrunken Heads inside of chests, is there any other way to get them?

A. Yes. You will sometimes find them sitting in the open but more importantly you can get them by killing enemies with your finishing moves. This will prove to be invaluable when trying to get your 100 souls.

Q. How many Shrunken Heads do I have to collect to activate my Jackanism Sword?

A. You only NEED to collect one Shrunken Head in order to activate your Jackanism Sword. However, the more Shrunken Heads you collect, the longer it will last.

Q. I activated my Jackanism Sword near the green chest but it did not open, why?

A. In order for you to open the chest you MUST collect three Shrunken Heads. It will not open with anything less than three.

Q. How many Shrunken Heads can I collect at one time and does it tell me how many I have?

A. The maximum amount of Shruken Heads that you can have at one time is 3 and you can see the amount you currently have in the upper right hand corner of your screen. One green dot above the picture of the Shrunken Head means you have collected one Shrunken Head, two green dots means two Heads collected but when you collect three Heads the eyes will light up in the picture of the Shrunken Head.

Q. Can I collect Shrunken Heads with anyone other than Jack?

A. No, Jack is the only one that can use the Jackanism Sword therefore he is the only one who can collect Shrunken Heads.

Q. What about the levels that I don't play as Jack, how will I open those Jackanism Chests?

A. Not to worry. If you don't play as Jack on a particular level than there will be no Jackanism Chest.

Q. To get 100 souls collected can I just repeat the same level over and over untill I reach 100?

A. Ok, here is the tricky part of collecting souls. The game will only take your highest soul count on each level. So, if you do {insert level here} once and collect 10 souls than you must collect more than 10 souls the next time for to you get credit.

I'll give you an example:

If you were {insert level here} earlier and lets say you collected 15 souls and you retry the level and get 14 more souls, you will not get credit for them because it only takes the higest amount of souls you get in in each level which was 15.

Ok, now, same situation but on the retry you get 16 souls. Then you will only get credit for 1 soul because you already have collected 15 souls.

So now here is the problem. There is no way to tell how many souls you already collected on a particular level so you will have to over estimate to play it safe. Ok, say you have 67 souls so you need 33 more and lets say you collected somewhere around 15 so far on {insert level here}. Round it up to 20 to play it safe and add that to the 33 you already need and there is your magic number of souls you need to collect. 53 souls on {insert level here}should get you the achievement, assuming that you only got somewhere around 15 on this level earlier.

The above example was assuming that you will try to get your remaining souls on one particular level.

Questions or comments welcome!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q. Besides finding Shrunken Heads inside of chests, is there any other way to get them?

A. Yes. You will sometimes find them sitting in the open but more importantly you can get them by killing enemies with your finishing moves. This will prove to be invaluable when trying to get your 100 souls.

Questions or comments welcome!

Marines only drop money, hearts, knifes and flintlock

Your best bet for getting heads from enemies are other pirates including the flying dutchmen crew. You need to be careful with these though because they also drop grenados which explode when you activate your move. Your best option is to try and claim these souls when not having to defend another crew member.

It is possible to get all 100 from one level, though it will take time.

1. Look for a level where you are only playing as Jack

2. Try and go into a fight with 3 heads already as you normally get swarmed first thing so plenty of kills quickly.

3. Use a sword, punch, sword combo as this fills your meter quickly

4. When your meter changes to a different colour you can use your special move.

5. keep attacking till you build up another 3 heads then run away to activate it.

6. Be sure not to kill the special character otherwise there will be no more respawns.

7. Just keep repeating till you hit your 100.

I am still trying to find the easiest and quickest level for doing this. It is possible to do this on the isla Cruces level at the end as long as you can keep both Elizabeth and Will alive through it all.

I got my last 53 souls in Port Royal at the end of the level when you control Jack and Will.

I only used 1 shrunken head at a time because the gurads won't spawn fast enough and I'd end up wasting my Jackanism.

So after I ran out of shrunken heads I did everything you need to do to finish the level except leave. I opened the gates and fired the cannon shot. What this does is stop them from spawning in droves and brings it down to 2 or 3(which makes it easy to keep Will alive).

From here I just killed them off and used a finishing move when ever possible and every few guards would drop a shrunken head. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Is it really as difficult as it seems to be to collect 100 souls? :(

I'll buy this game tomorrow, but you guys are frightening me..

Edit: Will "Collect 100 souls" achievement be the last achievement I'll try to get do you think?

Edit: Will "Collect 100 souls" achievement be the last achievement I'll try to get do you think?

I think thats a huge possibility :) and considering it is worth 150 points, it's one you can't afford to miss.

It's not so much that it's difficult but it could be time consuming.

To answer your other question, most likely yes. It will probably be your last achievement.

Ehh this is dumb. Anyway, thanks for the info. I currently have 36 souls after completing the game and replaying 3 missions.

You are in the best position then to collect souls. The less you have after finishing the game, the easier it is to go through again.

Crimzen has pointed out at least one level where you can score big and on another of his posts he lists a few other big scoring levels. Finally, you can get around 15-20 souls on the first level if you stand by the respawn doors and take out pirates as they come out. You can only do this AFTER completing the game since it gives you 3 skulls round the first chest. Just use one skull at a time on all the levels and you will do fine.

The big gain levels for me were Port Royal (the best), Shipwreck city, and Isla cruces its pretty easy to get around 30 on each of these and then fill out the remaining souls needed on the other jack levels.

10ish on prison fortress

10ish on kraken

20ish on davey jones locker

This achievement isn't that difficult just time consuming.

I have 80 now. I have problems with Port Royal. By the time I get to the first lever, Will is nearly dead. Any tips? I'll be trying it again later tonight and hopefully can get my other 20.
Ok, when attempting this in the final area of Port Royal do everything you need to do to finish the level except leave.

In other words, open all of the gates, kill the 2 head guards and fire the cannon for the Pearl. What this does is stop the guards from spawning in droves and cuts it down to 2 or 3 at a time which makes it easy to keep Will alive.

Just got it. I got my last 20 souls on Crucus. Actually I had to get 35 to get my last 20. I just didn't kill the main guy in the last area (as Jack) kept doing my finisher and collecting heads.. Surprisingly, the A.I. was very forgiving and the other two characters barely got hurt. Thanks for all the help, especially to you Crimzen, your guide was fantastic.

Just got it. I got my last 20 souls on Crucus. Actually I had to get 35 to get my last 20. I just didn't kill the main guy in the last area (as Jack) kept doing my finisher and collecting heads.. Surprisingly, the A.I. was very forgiving and the other two characters barely got hurt. Thanks for all the help, especially to you Crimzen, your guide was fantastic.
Thanks and congrats!!

YES YES YES!!! Finally got it. I used Port Royal at first but honestly, that can take FOREVER. After, I used Isla Cruces (Lots more enemies!!!) and that worked like a charm. Just be sure not to accidently kill the leader in your soul sucking rage. Happened to me and I had to do it all over again. But nevertheless, i got the achievement. :woop:

YES YES YES!!! Finally got it. I used Port Royal at first but honestly, that can take FOREVER. After, I used Isla Cruces (Lots more enemies!!!) and that worked like a charm. Just be sure not to accidently kill the leader in your soul sucking rage. Happened to me and I had to do it all over again. But nevertheless, i got the achievement. :woop:
Well done my friend.

I am finding it hard on the Tortuga lvl as the jackanism chest is at the beggining and i have no heads, any help is appreciated, ty in advance.

i have had trouble with this aswell, thats why i created a thread...

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=27686

i have also found that you can get about 30 souls on Davy Jone's Locker, 30 on Port Royal, 30 on Isla Cruces and you should b able to get the other 10 easily on shipwreck city!

I just finshied this achievement. It took about 2-3 hours.

I got 70 souls on Port Royal. I spent about 2 hours at the end of this map. I just killed the two guys upstairs back and forth until I got a special. Then I killed one of them with the special move.

I have to say you RARELY get any shrunken heads on that level. I went an entire 20-30 minutes without getting one shrunken head. Then I got like 4 in a row. So basically its all LUCK when you get shrunken heads..lol

Anyway,

This guide was helpfull and I'm glad the soul collecting is finally over. The game was GREAT and it only took me 3 days to get all the achievements. I guess its time to return it to hastings now:)