Official Bitching Thread

13ip0lar

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only a few cases in but there are little things that are really starting to bug me about this game.

I feel they really needed to give you the freedom to do what you wanted, And also made clear what you wanted to do at certain parts.

For example one of the first proper cases i pretty much figured out roughly what was going on (The bloody car one) If it was a real case most likely would of been able to point out the problem and have more evidence to help with the case, But with this i just had to continue going along as if everything was as it seemed.

I also just did another Case and i wanted to clear up everything once i had already figured out who the murderer was, As i went to go check on another person Cole started blaming them for the murder?! I mean seriously wtf i know it does not have much effect but it made him look like an idiot.

Now my biggest problem is when chasing people, What is the big difference between shooting your gun in the air, Or aiming at them for 30seconds then shooting the gun in the air? It does not make sense... They cant see you pointing the gun at them should they not stop when i fire near them? I know it would make things a little easy but that really pisses me off how stupid it feels having to stand there and aim first.

Apart from them problems so far its an Alright game, a few of them problems i feel should of been worked on, Maybe put a number of lines to use in the interrogations so you do not choose doubt and Cole says something that ruins everything. I guess just more options to end things, Do not really like having to kill people on side missions, Cant i just shoot them in the leg charge up and cuff em?

I dont mind a game being on spread out over disc but if I am going to have to find collectibles like the cars I would like them to be able to be found on any of the disc. I got really tired of getting up swapping disc just so I could play one case to get a chance to drive one car. All the cars should be able to be found in a particular area, it shouldnt be a damn guessing game.

I wish I could skip through the case or at least pointless talking. I know they want to show off their new tech but come on, I already know what they are going to say. If it logs you as playing the case once, you should be able to skip dialog.

Did I mention collectibles, lol. I am getting tired of every game feeling they need to have so kind of collectible. If they dont have anything to do with the story or better you character they should be left out. And when I say something to do with the story I mean like how they did the newspapers that was cool, but dont have the main plot points told through collectibles as some have done.

This game seems so alive until you get to the free roam part, the only thing to do is do street crimes and collect things. I did all my street crimes during the story, so after I was done I had nothing to do in the city except collect.

Why must he dieee??? fml. First John Marshton and now Cole Phelps. And why didn't they give a little background knowledge on why he cheated on his wife? Now I think he's some sort of asshole. lmfao

Why must you spoillll? :(

Havent completed it yet, have not read the rest of the thread but thanks!

I guess at least i do not know who killed who :) Now i bet the next thread i visit will reveal who kills who, Better leave the internet until i complete this.

• 2 weeks later...

Only on case 6 - Marriage Made in Heaven.

So far:

Having to press X while driving to know where to go.

Some scenes can't be skipped.

Was told in an hint earlier that the music will stop once all clues are found at a particular area, and it didn't for this one outside the cafe/bar and I was looking everywhere for a clue that didn't exist!!

Other than that I'm enjoying it, the guessing of truth, doubt and lie, will play again after completing on my own which I will then use a case guide to get a 5 star on each case (skipping a scene would have been handy).

i applaud team bondi for doing something a bit different i really do, but they fucked up a lot of shit too. this game had the potential to be the GTA3 of this generation. but it just falls short for a few crucial mistakes.

the lack of interactivity. i know this is basically a modern take on the text adventure and not really a traditional action game. but why could it not marry both elements together. the fact that there was no jump button cole just jumped automatically when approaching an obstacle, you couldn't just punch people unless they initiated it, you couldn't draw your weapon it had to happen automatically. all of this in my opinion detracted seriously from the game.

poor action sequences. similar to above, and again i know this isn't meant to be GTA but by christ the gunlpay and driving in this was a total fucking chore from start to finish.

the over-used formulaic and unnatural interrogation sequences. a side from the face watching shit which was way overused imo. the bit that really annoyed me was whenever you catch someone lying and they tell you to prove it, every single time. regardless of their situation, or if they have just seen you lift the evidence that proves the lie right in front of them.

worse still was the time when you would ask someone a straightforward question, do you know XXX? and they would say no. and you knew they were lying and could prove it so you called the lie, but when calling them on it cole accuses the guy of something else and he denies it and you're left to disprove the second thing.

patchy writing. the story and writing on the whole were great but there was times when it got a bit stupid and for a game that was obviously more about story telling and plot than game-play it just wasn't good enough. the writing really needed to be on power with a decent film to forgive the game-play flaws and sadly it just wasn't.

much like GTA3 i fully expect a lot of developers are going to take the template and try to run with it. unlike GTA3 though i think it will be one of the clones that will really show the full potential of the formula. if i had to bet i would say rockstar (the real rockstar) will be the ones to capitalise. which would be kind of funny bondi ripped them off with the awfull the getaway, maybe rockstar could return the favour but with a better game.

Edited by SEMTEX BHOY gt

Problem with this game is that its an open world game where you can do very little in.

the replay value of this game is poor, you have 3 things you do in free roam. Drive in a very stale uneventful free roam. collect a few badges and reels and do 40 street crimes.

everything in the game is the same when you replay it, theres not alot of variation at all and once you do the story doing it a specific way most of the time theres nothing else left to do.

you cant brawl at will, you cant use weapons at will, theres hardly anything to do in freeplay.

compared to most open world games this game has to be the dullest i have ever played when it comes to content. they spent far too long worrying about this motion scan tech which at the end of the day was rather pointless and not alot different to games these days that do not use it.

I don't know if this is a proper bitch or not but I finally got around to finishing this off and now I'm doing the DLC.

Now here's my problem, why do all the DLC cases feel like they've been cut from the main game for no apparent reason other than to sell as DLC/preorder bonuses?

I feel very strongly that going by the character building and some of the extra plot details I've spotted that it would have made the game stronger overall to have included them in the first place, not to have them loose later on.

Heh, now I can't help but think that even though 800MSP for the rockstar pass seemed good at the time, it wasn't when it does feel that it should have been covered by the original £40 for the game.

Possible ending spoilers below...

Plus unrelated to this, don't know what I would have preferred to have happened/seen tbh, but I couldn't help but feel completely underwhelmed by the ending. I think it was like the rest of the game was the fuse leading up to a great thing but instead of being a massive, impressive firework it turned out to be a squib in the form of a boring 15 minute mission of just shooting followed by a dull 3-4 minute cutscene.

I get that some things are supposed to have the low-key ending and it can be done really, really well but this just felt unfinished.

Edited by VladimirK

I don't know if this is a proper bitch or not but I finally got around to finishing this off and now I'm doing the DLC.

Now here's my problem, why do all the DLC cases feel like they've been cut from the main game for no apparent reason other than to sell as DLC/preorder bonuses?

I feel very strongly that going by the character building and some of the extra plot details I've spotted that it would have made the game stronger overall to have included them in the first place, not to have them loose later on.

Heh, now I can't help but think that even though 800MSP for the rockstar pass seemed good at the time, it wasn't when it does feel that it should have been covered by the original £40 for the game.

Possible ending spoilers below...

Plus unrelated to this, don't know what I would have preferred to have happened/seen tbh, but I couldn't help but feel completely underwhelmed by the ending. I think it was like the rest of the game was the fuse leading up to a great thing but instead of being a massive, impressive firework it turned out to be a squib in the form of a boring 15 minute mission of just shooting followed by a dull 3-4 minute cutscene.

I get that some things are supposed to have the low-key ending and it can be done really, really well but this just felt unfinished.

I think they were cut in this case. They also cut entire desks, as they were going to end up needing five DVDs or two BluRays. Unsurprisingly, the BluRays were deemed the problem, rather than us needing five discs...

I HATE the achievement for driving every stupid car (which all look alike...)

it wouldn't be too bad, but it also ties into the 100% achievement :mad:

I HATE how every single case has to be tied to a serial killer/arsonist so you end up locking up the wrong guy... so there's goes your fucking replay value

I just beat the game and the game's ending left such a bad taste in my mouth I don't even want to ever play this game again and finish getting the rest of the achievements. What a crappy ending and I was really bummed out that Cole has an affair aswell. I would be more understanding if I had the option to cheat or not and if there were options for multi endings but I hate when I played as a noble white knight and be force to have an affair and die and allow the corrupt live on. I wanted justice in this game and instead I got screwed over.

• 2 weeks later...

POSSIBLE SPOILER

In the middle of the first Vice case - The Black Caesar, spoke to Fleetwood Morgan and tried to use the telephone and others but it wouldn't let me, so ok I went to the Numbers Operation instead and spoke to Merlon Ottie, kept getting the question/evidence wrong (I was restarting it). I looked at the guide and no wonder, the telephone is a must and I have to visit Jone's Booking Agency first. Damn glitch means I have to start over!

Sigh, I just made Vice an I have to say that this is a rotten tomato! They face capture tech is impressive but they are relying on it too heavily. Graphics enhancements tend to hurt games initially. They use the cutting edge tech to replace quality game play.

There is something about a game that you can beat with the A button that just doesn't sit well with me. It's like Cut scene Noire!

@Bosmaniak - I hate the car achievement too There isn't even an in game list to track off of. BS!

Rockstar did something bit different and could have made a great game but they failed. IF your going to allow me to make plot decisions then have the decency to let them mean something. Maybe they were trying to express the absurdity of free will??

Sigh, I just made Vice an I have to say that this is a rotten tomato! They face capture tech is impressive but they are relying on it too heavily. Graphics enhancements tend to hurt games initially. They use the cutting edge tech to replace quality game play.

There is something about a game that you can beat with the A button that just doesn't sit well with me. It's like Cut scene Noire!

@Bosmaniak - I hate the car achievement too There isn't even an in game list to track off of. BS!

Rockstar did something bit different and could have made a great game but they failed. IF your going to allow me to make plot decisions then have the decency to let them mean something. Maybe they were trying to express the absurdity of free will??

Main Menu -> Extras -> Car-Showroom :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

What i hate about this Game is that the Facial Expressions are not really helpful.

Because when i looked at that Persons Face it definetly looks like he/shes lying but bam that was wrong. As good as it looks its not always helpful.

Other than that its just slow-paced but its okay after a hard Day at work to just finish 1 Case and shut it off.

Well, this game is intended to be a narritave with an open world. Open world doesn't nessessarily mean "sandbox" type gameplay like GTA, where you can just run around and play for hours without progressing the story. The thing that I didnt like so far (Halfway through Vice) aside from not being to skip conversation sections during replay, which is probably the most annoying while trying to go back and 5 star.

It is too linear. I understand that you are supposed to follow a "narritave" but the game would have done much better if they had a hardcore mode for instance without the handholding. Letting you come to your own conclusions, being able to question random people that are not involved at all, when questioning the "right/wrong" in the notebook gets me frustratrated, there are times I am sure im right in the way I read the person, but they were telling the truth, even though they looked away and thier eyes shifted, things like that. It is more like guessing half the time. It they should have let you make your own notes of sorts without the check mark or x, and maybe gave you the option to reinterview the witness later if you think you did it wrong.

Also, for people on this site, that are just as interested in points as games, this game has a major fault, that really destroys the game. Not being able to skip cutscenes and conversations to 5 star. I really want to play the game out and not follow a guide, but I also don't want to go back through and replay damn near every case again to get the 5 star achievement having to watch 45 minutes of dialogue per case that I have already seen. This adds in the I want to get the "experience" of the game, but not at the cost of having to play the game through pretty much again from the start knowing I don't have to if I follow a guide. If I was able to cut convorsations short and skip to the relevant choices, I would have no problem playing it "on my own" the 1st time through. I've managed to 5 star about half the cases on my own as it is, up through the second Vice Case, but still an annoying ommition in my opinion. Lengthy diaologue/cutscenes should always be skippable in every game, at the very least 2nd time around. That is a no brainer.

OH And useless busywork collectibles that do nothing for the value of the game, which most players usually save for last, so they are going through the whole game with that in the back of thier minds, THEN they get to it at the end, and thats the final impression of the game, which is usually boring and tedius. Which just wholly detracts from the entire package. When will developers start getting this right on a massive scale? Darksiders is the only game in recent memory that did this right. Lots of collectibles, but you WANTED to find them because they made you stronger, there were none that were there just to be there.

And the very last thing, as I replay a few of the Homicide desk cases again (Spoiler up to Homicide desk completion only)

[spoiler=67342]Apparently the final case, shows a single person responsible for all the murders, however, throughout the cases, even in the interrigation rooms the suspects basically confess to the murders, giving little to no resistance to the pile of evidence that was supposedly planted to frame them. This is either just lazy writing, or we aren't supposed to look that deep into it. They don't plead thier inosence they just kinda go aww fuck you got me. I'm not entirely sure what to think about that. Maybe answered later in the game, and I sure hope so, but I thought of each desk as independant "chapters" seeing as the cases from each desk have nothing to do with eachother at all so far. We will see as I plan to finish the game today.

Edited by Midnight Malice

I have completed the game and all 4 DLC cases (100% completion) and I find the game to be a quite unique, interesting gaming experience but also a quite mediocre and tiresome one, mostly because of its linearity. Its main flaw is that by using the face capture technique they limited themselves. You can't have alternate routes or endings or dialogues if you have to film everything! Also, making it a sand-box game (because that's just what Rockstar does best!) makes the experience even more frustrating because you have a huge map to explore and take advantage but have to stick to the tedious same repetitive tasks.

Summarizing, bad gameplay design, a costly limiting filming technique, 3 discs that you have to change often when trying to 5-star the cases and not being able to skip cutscenes made this a game that despite being very enthusiastic about, ended up disappointing me.

What is the point of putting tons of useless clues. Most of the clues don't mean anything. If you look for clues only 1 in 5 are useful. And examining bodies seems to be pointless since looking at a body for one minor clue that the corner corner could of told you. And most of the cases seem to be murder cases. And the game sells it self as a gritty crime drama, yet in the game you are a straight nose detective who always does everything right. Also the detective has the wrong name he should be called inspector Cluso since you seem to just bumble though the investigation and always finish it. The street crime are good yet it would be nice to have a way to solve them besides shooting and killing the suspects. And there is too much traffic. The facial technology is nice yet it is hard to figure out that if they actually are telling the truth or lieing. It looks nice but the game play is weak.