Vehicles in the next Fallout?

monkeyhappy

Ok, so I've just finished Mothership Zeta, which has been touted as the last Fallout DLC. Now, because there isn't really anything left to do, (bar go through MZ again for the Alien Recordings), I have no other choice than to simply look forward to "Fallout: New Vegas".

Due to my love for this game, I have been looking into it, with probably more external interest in the game and the inspirations and ideas behind it than any other game in the past. This led me to the "Cultural References" page on the Vault wiki, which in turn, has vested in me a great interest in finding out about and actually watching Mad Max. So I watch the first 5 minutes on the web, that's all I can watch without signing up for some random site that I don't want to sign up to. This leads me to wonder, would it be possible for vehicles to be implemented into the next Fallout? I mean, I know petrol/gas would probably have long run out by then, but surely an alternative form of fuel could be used or dreamed up to make it viable.

Obviously vehicles would be very rare and sought after, don't get me wrong, I love Fallout, I wouldn't want it to go all GTA on us either, but I think if they were very careful about how they are put in, they could really help the game. I mean.. we had horses in Oblivion.

I must stress that I haven't heard any rumours about this being talked about or suggested, it's just and idea that I had dreamed up myself and I'm sure many of you have already pondered.

Any other ideas on how to improve the game that I think is the best game out there at the moment?

That would be cool, Helpful for beggingers, when i made my second save and wanted to get places with hardly any guns, caps, or health. I would always end up dead half way there D; I think it would be cool as long as the vehicles were limited, No giant monster trucks or anything, Maybe just bikes.. Although it would be hard to fit into the fallout world, So many rocks people would crash, but then it might look a little fake not falling off the bike after crashing, Controlls also. I dont see how it would work. Although it would help getting arround.

What about using a 'Workbench' type Garage, where you can build small vehicles out of scavenged items, like with the DIY weapons now... There were plenty of car-wrecks in FO3.

Knock yourself up a Quad bike!

That'd be bitchin'.

Obviously they wouldn't be able to negotiate rocky areas like the areas in Fallout 3's Washington, but isn't Vegas, which is the new setting, more open plains? There were still the remnants of roads left over in Fallout 3 also. Like I said, it would have to be implemented well and carefully into the game. In my mind, trying to imagine cars in Fallout 3, I feel they would feel like the vehicles in Dead Rising, if this were the case in future games, it probably would be a good idea if they were left out, BUT if they can fit them in well and not overdo them, I think they would be a nice little addition.

Yeah, isn't Vegas like, mainly desert with a couple of hills?

Also, don't assume thet petrol or diesel has run out. After all, the fallout universe is based on the the post apocalyptic remains of a Nuke war during a 1950s-style era. We weren't struggling for fuel in the 1950s so why should they have been.

Doing my research into the timeline, it was stated that the oil fields of the Middle East dried up in 2060 and in 2066 oil dried up across the globe. This is all according to the Fallout universe timeline on the Vault. This is what I think led to the breakout of war which obviously obliterated the Earth and created the wasteland.

BUT I figure that it could still be worked in with some sort of alternative power source like the microfusion cells or something? If it were to use MF cells then it would be sure that travel would be limited and it doesn't go over the top with use. If you check out 2070 it talks about fusion powered cars by the Chryslus Motors company, so it's completely viable and an explanation is catered for already.

[KNIGHTOFSERA kind of beat me to it! :p]

Also, check this out: Ford Nucleon

That's the type of cultural reference that we know and love from the Fallout series, they could easily work some sort of car in with a similar name. Maybe it could run on ghouls!?

Edited by monkeyhappy

That might end up ruining the "fallout" feel of the game if it wasn't well implemented, but i could see it working if made properly. I like the idea of it running on some sort of cell that is also used for ammo, so that way it would be a tactical choice for the player. Should you use 100 cells to get somewhere without any risk / faster, or should you walk there and save the ammo?

it could be possible. if they have fuel to run vertabirds then why not cars/motorbikes?

tho there is this from fallout tactics (which is a good game might i add!)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kxq3Rmq1ho]YouTube - Fallout: Tactics - Intro[/ame]

there was also this: http://bethblog.com/index.php/2009/05/22/drivable-motorcycle-mod-for-fallout-3/

it could be possible. if they have fuel to run vertabirds then why not cars/motorbikes?

tho there is this from fallout tactics (which is a good game might i add!)

there was also this: http://bethblog.com/index.php/2009/05/22/drivable-motorcycle-mod-for-fallout-3/

fallout tactics isnt even considered cannon so I dont think we can take that as proof that there are working vehicles, none the the less humvees which correct me if IM wrong were not made in the 50s

the motorcyle mod is pretty awesome, I save they develop it as a small add on for the 360

Edited by KNIGHTOFSERA

fallout tactics isnt even considered cannon so I dont think we can take that as proof that there are working vehicles, none the the less humvees which correct me if IM wrong were not made in the 50s

the motorcyle mod is pretty awesome, I save they develop it as a small add on for the 360

it might no be considerd canon but it was still made by interplay who made F:1, F:2 and are workin on F:NV. with bethesda's enginee and tht mod. who knows, they culd make cars/bikes

it might no be considerd canon but it was still made by interplay who made F:1, F:2 and are workin on F:NV. with bethesda's enginee and tht mod. who knows, they culd make cars/bikes

actually interplay is only the publisher of tactics, and new vegas is being developed by obsidian and published by bethesda...plus even if they made it its still not cannon and most people dont even bother to list tactics or brotherhood of steel when talking about fallout since they are such a departure from the first two games

I dont disagree about the ability for cars/vehicles, Im just saying tactics as proof is not proof

actually interplay is only the publisher of tactics, and new vegas is being developed by obsidian and published by bethesda...plus even if they made it its still not cannon and most people dont even bother to list tactics or brotherhood of steel when talking about fallout since they are such a departure from the first two games

I dont disagree about the ability for cars/vehicles, Im just saying tactics as proof is not proof

obsidian is apart of interplay (who made F1 and F2) it could be possible. tho im not goin to say they deffo will or ownt have them. it wuld b a nice feature tho

Well since a car wouldn't be able to drive around the wasteland, it would have to be on the roads only. Sure, the game wouldn't prevent you from driving off the roads, but in most places you'd get stuck. You'd end up playing the game in a shit way where you pull up to the side of the road, get out, explore and travel all the way back to the vehicle. People would end up just fast traveling, the vehicle would only offer momentary excitement. Implementing an entire vehicle system would be a lot of work on Bethesda's part for not much reward.

No one listens...

http://tinyurl.com/klluwy

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Car

Just skip to 6:26 in the video.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHyDUG9Bmsg]YouTube - LP Fallout 2 part 14: The car![/ame]

And for shits and giggles...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKxmjOTaEO0]YouTube - Fallout 3 - J3Xified drivable Motorcycle Trailer[/ame]