AC getting knocked for repetitiveness...

highpass

To any of us that are playing it already, would you agree with the reviews of late that describe the game to get quite repetitive after the initial wow factor has worn off?

I'm wondering whether these reviewers are forgetting how every game tends to get repetitive or whether it really is that tedious (I wonder how they can overlook how samey 20 matches on Halo/R6/GRAW in a row get, or is this something else?). Not to mention his job is to, well, assassinate... perhaps it's merely the battle mechanics.

So far it's scored as low as 6.7, warranted?

From what I've seen of the reviews, lowest that I've read was 70ish by 1UP which knocked the repetition. But the other 4 reviews I looked at scored it 95, 96, 100 and 100 and never really commented on it. There are always going to be those that disagree and bring something new to the table, but we can't always agree.

Well I sat and played it for 5 hours with the Ubisoft guys and gals the other day, and I loved it.

Yes, its repetitive. In the same way that Halo is repetitive. I mean, Halo the point is you aim at someone, shoot and kill people over and over and over. Assassin's has so many ways round the game, you can chose to assault guards or to free-run round etc etc.

Personally, the parts of the game that were repititve were the parts of the game I loved. Im writing the review for the site on this, and I can assure you it wont be anywhere near that low (1up are ghey if thats their view)

Webb; Those were my first thoughts; it's a minority thing, but TXB and some wannabee upstart 360 site elsewhere have also given it lower-than-expected scores (6.7 in one case!) along with whining about the said problems. I do hope this could-be-AAA title isn't hindered by cut corners such as this but we'll see i suppose.

How attacking someone with a sword gets any more repetitive than shooting them i don't know, but it's probably something you need to experience before commenting on.

Minty; ah, that's a bit reassuring. Then again, we all know you couldn't care less about this game if the collectors edition didn't come with a Jade pin-up calendar.

Yeah, but I didnt get a calender :( (although I am in the process of making one ;))

Anyway, just to expand what I said earlier, there is no one way to do a mission. And the citys are so vast you will struggle to do anything the same way twice as well. Im not kidding, the first time you get to a view point and synchronise, you get a 360 panoramic view of that city and its surrounding area, you will sit there and go wow. I got to about 40 view points around the game, each one is just as spectacular.

As for the killing guards and running round the city bit being repetitive, yeah I guess it is. But its so fun that you just want to carry on doing it. And its realistic- in those days there were numerous guards walking round- its realistic (cool side note- when you kill someone, the estimated population drops down, so in theory you can wipe out a whole city lol). And you can either stand and fight the guards, or leg it away onto the rooftops and hide like a girl. This game is so free roaming that you can make of it what you want

I agree with you all, I was over-hyped about Halo 3 and thought it was the best game ever...But it was a real let down. AC on the other hand, I know what Im getting. Im getting my own game ! I get to play it the way I want, and thats what I love about it.

As Webb said, we all have our own opinions but at least 80% of AC players will rate it highly indeed.

I'm eager to see what you guys think of the game. I'm wondering if a lot of these lower scores are the result of reviewers going in with some preconcieved notions of what the game should be like and then being disappointed when it didn't look and play exactly like what they were expecting. Technically speaking, what do people think so far? Are the graphics, sounds, and mechanics up to par?

IGN is probably one of the WORST places to get reviews from. They're paid for their ratings, although they won't tell you that. Plus their so picky, I've read reviews where they talked about stuttering frame rates and got the game they reviewed and it had no frame rate stuttering at all. I'm wondering what Game Informer gives it, it'll be interesting to see.

It's one of those games where the hype is too high and the game fails to deliver.

How do you know that when you havent played it?!?!

Seriously, noone was more hyped about this game than me- I have been waiting 2 years to play this game. I had a PS3 pre-ordered for launch day until it was announced on the 360 - just for this game.

And it delivers. It hits an almost perfect score IMO

Funny, IGN US rated it 7.7 but IGN AU rated it 8.7. Gamespot then rated it 9.0 saying it was incredible. Gameinformer and Gamepro rated it 9.5 and 5/5 respectively. It was Planet Xbox 360 who gave it a 6.7 and really, more people gave it good ratings then not. The average will obliviously be lowered substantially by ratings such as that. Either way, I know I'm going to love this game and I'm going in real early tomorrow to grab it :D The guys who rated it bad can suck a knob :) a door knob at that!

I must make note that when you rate Halo 3 so high (most sites did) and then decide to give any game a lower score, I pretty much want to slap you. In all honesty, come on. AU is the only reviewer I can take seriously it seems like or should I say the one that fits my opinions :p Anyways, they rated AC and Halo 3 identical (8.7 each). Sounds about right to me.

I have to agree with you PerpetualHeaven, I too want to slap people who rate games based on Halo. I've been waiting a long time for this game and I am excited but I don't get overly excited because I know some games let you down if you get too hyped up about them. I'm expecting a good game that I can play for a while and I think that's what I'll be getting with AC.

I have never ever taken IGN seriously. Not only are the majority of the reviews biased but they are so poorly written, it evokes a sense of pity in me. I'm curious as to whether or not any of the writers actually possess formal post-secondary education in journalism or English.

I will stick with Game Informer and Gamespot for my review needs. Oh how I miss Greg Kasavin from GS. :(

If this game is repetitive then I might like it then. If I can put over 100000000 hours in the Dynasty Warriors series then I'll like this plus this is an extremely pretty game.

As for reviews, I do listen to them but they don't make the final judgment on my opinion to purchase the game or not. Just like DW and SW series, they've always gave it a low score but I always went and buy those games because they're were fun as hell for me. Also, it all depends on your genre taste. If you like these type of games aka AC, MGS, and etc. then go get it. Those sneaky sneaky games as I call them lol.

I have never ever taken IGN seriously. Not only are the majority of the reviews biased but they are so poorly written, it evokes a sense of pity in me. I'm curious as to whether or not any of the writers actually possess formal post-secondary education in journalism or English.

I will stick with Game Informer and Gamespot for my review needs. Oh how I miss Greg Kasavin from GS. :(

You call 4-page reviews poorly written? What the hell do you know about working on gaming sites anyway? And here's the part where you make up some bullcrap fact about you owning several sites and you're a professional writer.

Well I sat and played it for 5 hours with the Ubisoft guys and gals the other day, and I loved it.

Yes, its repetitive. In the same way that Halo is repetitive. I mean, Halo the point is you aim at someone, shoot and kill people over and over and over. Assassin's has so many ways round the game, you can chose to assault guards or to free-run round etc etc.

Personally, the parts of the game that were repititve were the parts of the game I loved. Im writing the review for the site on this, and I can assure you it wont be anywhere near that low (1up are ghey if thats their view)

You played with the ubisoft people? What if you actually work for them and are just whoring the game up on forums because they know it's a disappointment.

You call 4-page reviews poorly written? What the hell do you know about working on gaming sites anyway? And here's the part where you make up some bullcrap fact about you owning several sites and you're a professional writer.

Just cos a review is 4 pages doesnt mean that its any good.

And whats your beef with the game? Because I say its good you accuse me of working for Ubisoft and creating hype for the game?? I havent heard such a retarded arguement for a while.

If you have looked round the net in the last year or two- this is one hell of a hyped game. And if you had actually played the game you would know why.

You played with the ubisoft people? What if you actually work for them and are just whoring the game up on forums because they know it's a disappointment.

Tinfoilhat much? They'd never have Minty, he's far too much of a chav.

A 4-page review doesn't even remotely relate to the quality of the content, and if that's his opinion, who are you to say otherwise? Debate constructively, you could've put those points forward without sounding like you're on the attack.

Edit; you w****r Minty, beat me to the punch.