Halo 2 Remake...In The Works ?

As we all know Halo CE Ann. is going to be a must have for any and all halo fanatics. With only new graphics and secret collectibles that have been introduced in the "campaign of the decade." We have quite a few things to look forward to on D-Day 11/15/11. But is there another remake over the Halo horizon ? Rumored at this years E3 is possible talk of maybe a Halo 2 remake. The now 343 Industries were surprised of the many gamers who have requested a Halo 2 remake, saying "Our guess: if Anniversary sells well, a Halo 2 remake is virtually guaranteed." All in all Halo fans have new hopes and fears for the dawn of a new decade in this successful video game franchise. But the REAL question is, What Do You Think ?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO, there isn't!!!!!!!!!! Just because CE's getting one DOES NOT MEAN ANYTHING!!!!!!! All the stupid kids who think they're so smart claiming this.

Now dont get me wrong if it were to happen I'd apologize immediatley and get on the band wagon but theres been zero reason to believe it will happen therefore I'm gonna keep shooting you kids down until there is

Just because something is going to sell well doesn't mean they're going to do it. Halo Anniversary is being done to celebrate 10 years since the birth of a franchise. 343 themselves have said that they currently have no plans to remake Halo 2. It is, however, not for certain. As the Halo 2 anniversary draws closer they'll look at the mounting demand and make a decision at that point whether they should go through with it or not.

Personally, I hope they do Halo 2 and stop there. That would bring every Halo game to the current generation and all games would have achievements and Xbox Live functionality again. As much as I would like to see every Halo game with a crossover between the Reach and CEA graphic style I don't feel that updating 3 and ODST would really be necessary.

I will be paraphrasing but this is about what 343 said themselves

343 knew that Halo CE remake was high on demand. They weren't going to make one. The closer the anniversary of halo came the more they actually thought about the idea. Halo CE soon because their project. At Halo fest they got a lot if questions about Halo 2. As a company they said it's important to listen to the people. However as the game isn't as old (assuming they also think of Vista is Live Enabled) they see a Halo 2 remake not impossible and they could do it... But it isn't likely it will happen as they have Halo 4 to work on and they don't want to just remake games.

So if we want it bad enough it seems MAYBE for another Anniversary event maybe a Halo 2 remake may come alive

As of now don't get any hopes up for Halo 2 remake.

I don't seem why they couldn't get Team Sabre to work on the Halo 2 remake like they did Halo 1. I mean what are they going to work on seriously? Timeshift 2? Pass. They're better off hiring out to do HD remakes for other developers. CEA is proof that THIS is their calling.

I wouldn't mind a Timeshift 2 but you do have a good point. We don't really need another Halo 2 (I wouldn't mind having it 1000G on my Tag twice) as people do still play H2V surprisingly. The new graphics would look nice but in 10 more years it could look much better. I wouldn't mind another side story like ODST. Not that I cared for the story but it was a neat little thing they did.

Didn't 343 state that "they may not have a choice" to make a Halo 2 remake, if sales for CEA are good enough? Sorry I can't get the source to that, I'm having some brief trouble using my phone. But as Dark stated, the CE remake's purpose is to commemorate the 10 year anniversary of the franchise. I would be somewhat surprised if 343i and Saber joined up again for a Halo 2 remake. But I suppose if us fans clamor enough, we could get a '10 year Halo 2 anniversary edition" or something like that by late 2014, with the game using the original Halo 2 engine and the Halo 4 engine simultaneously. Hell, I'll probably be one of the people whining for a Halo 2 remake now. I'm pretty bored of staring at my Vista copy, which can't run on my fairly old PC. Although playing the campaign with my original Xbox copy is fun, I can't stress enough how fun the multiplayer was. I remember heading down to my friend's house, with a group of others, and we would hang out playing Halo 2 multiplayer, on Friday nights, till around 4am. Those were the days... but we can still try to find each other and have fun with Battle Canyon, High Noon, and Breakneck next week... Yet I think one of the guys I hung out with currently lives in Greece... growing up sucks. :(

Didn't 343 state that "they may not have a choice" to make a Halo 2 remake, if sales for CEA are good enough? Sorry I can't get the source to that, I'm having some brief trouble using my phone.

Here is the source LickableLemons7:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-9290-Microsoft-Might-“Not-Have-A-Choiceâ€-But-to-Remake-Halo-2-in-HD.html

Also I don't think a Halo 2 remake is currently being worked on, 343i have enough to do with Halo 4 on the way and they will probably want to get straight to work on Halo 5 when they are finished. I would love to have a Halo 2 remake though.

Let's not forget the factor of Halo: CE's campaign being absolutely fantastic with enormous replay value, while Halo 2's was the worst of the series and largely forgettable.

You never see people carrying on about how great Halo 2 was compared to the love for Halo 1. Might not be worth the risk to put the resources into remaking a game that's short on fanbase love compared to the one already being remade.

I wouldn't say Halo 2 had the worst campaign of the series. It was lauded at the time of release because the only game it had to compare to was CE, but looking back over the years I'll say that I actually enjoyed it more than Halo 3 and Halo: Reach (just storyline. Reach still had better gameplay.)

To be honest Halo 2's campaign wasn't actually bad. It was just different. It had concepts that CE and most other games had never really explored before. It focused heavily on the enemies perspective of the war by having you play as the Arbiter dealing with Covenant Politics and put a lot of emphasis on the roles of key players in the war. Whereas Halo 1 you had Master Chief, Cortana, and Captain Keyes, in Halo 2 you had Chief, Cortana, Keyes, Lord Hood, Johnson took a larger role, all 3 of the prophet Heirarchs, Gravemind, Arbiter, Half-Jaw, etc... Most shooters typically just put you up against faceless enemies and you fight until you reach the final boss, which is almost always the one and only enemy with a name.

1. Halo: CE

2. Halo 3: ODST

3. Halo 2

4. Halo: Reach

5. Halo wars

6. Halo 3

In my halo-addicted opinion.

I would concur with this 100%, but I'd stick Halo Wars out of it completely because it is a different genre. I (a lover of RTS's) Found Halo Wars to be damn good.

OT: It really seems like a no brainer. Minimal work for profit. Something that Microsoft loves. It shouldn't take too long or too large of a team to make this happen. The achievement list is already there from Windows Vista. Which is the version they would probably use anyways. Halo fans will pay to get this again, and have ALL the Halos on their 360s.

I don't know how you think that, as Halo 2 is definitely not the worst. From best to worst I do believe this is the correct ranking (in my professional opinion :D):

1. Halo CE
  2. Halo 2
  3. Halo 3
  4. Halo Reach
  5. Halo Wars
  6. Halo 3: ODST

You sir are the first person I've ever met to put Halo 2 right after Halo CE for any reason other than multiplayer. ;)

For me, personally:

1. Halo CE
  2. Halo Reach
  3. Halo 3: ODST
  4. Halo 3
  5. Halo 2

... Halo Wars? What's that? :p

I thought Reach and ODST matched the general "feel" of Halo CE far closer than Halo 2 and Halo 3. Both of those games, while fun, IMO suffered tremendously from Bungie trying way too hard to be "epic" and turn the gem that was Halo's storyline from a very expansive and yet similarly personal story into a kind of detached, derivative, futuristic Lord of the Rings. They also made the jump from sci-fi to sci-fantasy in several respects. That whole Covenant transforming from an unknowable, very alien (something rarely done well in sci-fi; aliens are rarely very "alien" at all. Halo CE succeeded at this, Halo 2 fell flat on its face), and nearly unstoppable juggernaut to a dysfunctional bunch of religious zealots with British accents never worked for me and was just groan-worthy. I was hugely psyched for Halo's story after the first game, but when I finally played Halo 2 my general reaction by the end was, "What the hell was that shit?"

In contrast I thought they did a fantastic job going back to their roots and what first made me fall in love with Halo CE on Halo: Reach. The only knocks against Reach for me are that stupid Armor Lock and Bubble Shield crap in multiplayer, not nearly enough vehicle action, and 343 unbelievably removing classic Firefight from matchmaking on November 1st (FU, 343).

To each his own, I guess.

Just surprised, I've heard lots of praise over the years for Halo 2's MP, but nary a good word about the campaign and story.

At least we're agreed on the best Halo!

Edited by CaptFrost

I would concur with this 100%, but I'd stick Halo Wars out of it completely because it is a different genre. I (a lover of RTS's) Found Halo Wars to be damn good.

OT: It really seems like a no brainer. Minimal work for profit. Something that Microsoft loves. It shouldn't take too long or too large of a team to make this happen. The achievement list is already there from Windows Vista. Which is the version they would probably use anyways. Halo fans will pay to get this again, and have ALL the Halos on their 360s.

I was ranking mostly just ranked based on Fiction and the fun factor. I really enjoyed Halo War (I've enjoyed every game with Halo in the title) but Halo Wars had a very forced and canned plot. Ship finds shield worlds, Covenant wants destructive technology, Humans use ship to blow it up and stop them (except this time they were smart and only used the FTL drive.) It was really a repeat of everything we'd already done in the series, which was disappointing, TBH they would've been better off canning the storyline and focusing on the plot by chronicling the fall of the Outer Colonies throughout the year. It would've been more interesting to see the crew on the Spirit of Fire starting out on Harvest and aging over the years in both their wisdom and their appearance to really put into perspective just how long and deadly this war was (I don't think a lot of people fully grasp that this was har been going on for 28 years. Most people only know the war from the point of Reach to the end of Halo 3, which is only about a year from the Covenant's first Reach campaign during Winter Contingency to the Memorial in Voi to honor the fallen crew that went inside the Ark Portal.) Having HW setup like this could've made for a fun conquest mode with an RTS meets SW:BF kind of system even.

In my Halo-addicted opinion story-wise (and story being the ONLY factor in my list here)

1: Halo 2

2: Halo: ODST

3: Halo CE

4: Halo 3

5: Halo Wars

6: Halo Reach

I know I've listed it as second, but I'd say ODST is almost tied with Halo 2 for best story of the Halo games. But anyway, I'd love it if Halo 2 were remade. So many glitches in that game that could use some cleanup, as well as some refining of the gameplay.

In my Halo-addicted opinion story-wise (and story being the ONLY factor in my list here)

1: Halo 2

2: Halo: ODST

3: Halo CE

4: Halo 3

5: Halo Wars

6: Halo Reach

I know I've listed it as second, but I'd say ODST is almost tied with Halo 2 for best story of the Halo games. But anyway, I'd love it if Halo 2 were remade. So many glitches in that game that could use some cleanup, as well as some refining of the gameplay.

Well aren't we Mr. Controversial. lol. This would actually be my list in terms of Atmosphere combined with Plot/Storyline, except, again, drop Halo 3 to the bottom and move Wars and Reach up. I didn't dislike Halo 3, but it was quite simply the worst game in the series I think. I'd sooner play Halo Wars than play Halo 3 again.

When considering story and nothing else, but only for the shooters, this is my list:

1 - Halo 3: ODST

Just because of how fresh and different it was, my favourite game of them all

2 - Halo: Combat Evolved

The mystery and intrigue of an all new franchise

3 - Halo 2

The civil war, I didn't enjoy the game very much but when only considering story it was amazing and was the turning point in the war

4 - Halo 3

I loved the story but it wasn't all new and 2 had so much more going on

5 - Halo Reach

I was and still am disappointed, the only thing befitting the Halo timeline was getting to Halsey and making sure Cortana got off-planet. The rest of the game was just evacuations and running around in desperation, it didn't have that epic struggle feel that the main trilogy had.